Loud annoying noise in the cabin

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI auto, platinum gray, ESP
Today I started getting a loud high pitched annoying noise in the cabin while driving. It started out only happening here and there but after driving some it is happening around 75% of the time. I think it has something to do with the gas pedal or something since sometimes it starts when im accelerating and sometimes it starts when I let off the gas. But thats pretty much all I can tell. I do have a sound clip I have to download. For those of you who don't know my car. It is an 04 Jetta auto if that has anything to do with it. So has anyone else had this issue or know what it might be? It's annyoing as hell.

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
jettafock said:
Today I started getting a loud high pitched annoying noise in the cabin while driving. It started out only happening here and there but after driving some it is happening around 75% of the time. I think it has something to do with the gas pedal or something since sometimes it starts when im accelerating and sometimes it starts when I let off the gas. But thats pretty much all I can tell. I do have a sound clip I have to download. For those of you who don't know my car. It is an 04 Jetta auto if that has anything to do with it. So has anyone else had this issue or know what it might be? It's annyoing as hell.
Dan,
I feel your pain. I too have experienced the same effect when pushing on the go pedal; however the high pitch sound finally went away when my wife got out of the car and stopped screaming:D

Any chance it's a turbo leak? I known on my A4 it made high pitched noises when one of the IC pipes (mostly silicone pieces) was loose. Hope you can find it.

PharoahTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I have the same sound. It comes and goes with the gas pedal. It almost sounds like a radio interference whine. I used to have a similar sound from poorly shielded plug wires in my old car. With the cruse on it goes away so it seems to be related to pressing on the gas pedal.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Sounds electrical. Will it do it if you rev the engine with the car parked?

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
no, it doesn't make the sound when parked and reving it. also, i had the window down while driving last night and it seemed to be coming from the outside. but then again i thought it was coming from the front drivers side and my mom was in the back pass. side and thought it was coming from her side.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
On the PDs check the charge air tube connection into the throttle body. Common for the clips to wear and the hose pops half off. Whitedog has a fix for this, works very well.

The reason you hear no noise in neutral is because there is no real amount of boost while the engine is not under a load.

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd tdi sport (limited edition) platinum grey and a 1996 dodge cummins diesel 4x4 5sp lots of mods and a 335d stock for now.
oilhammer said:
On the PDs check the charge air tube connection into the throttle body. Common for the clips to wear and the hose pops half off. Whitedog has a fix for this, works very well.

The reason you hear no noise in neutral is because there is no real amount of boost while the engine is not under a load.
thats exactly what happened to my car. part cost me about 150 bucks and it took me 5 minits to fix.

its easy to see where this tab wears off. pop your hood and look at the top left. if the tab is broken you will see that its fitting funny right away.

clean any soot buildup before you install the new part.

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
Well it ended up being a bad lower EGR pipe. There was a crack in the flex part of the pipe, but by the time I got to Olivers to have him look into it the noise was gone. He found it and took it off and the pipe was broken in 2. I'll post the pics when Oliver sends them to me.

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd tdi sport (limited edition) platinum grey and a 1996 dodge cummins diesel 4x4 5sp lots of mods and a 335d stock for now.
wasnt there a recall on that part?

tivoKlr

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, black
I'm sorry, but all I keep thinking is "wife" when I see this subject on the front page of the forum.

I know it's been said already, but it's just screaming out "wife"...

Anyway, maybe that's why I'm getting divorced.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Happy to hear you found a fix, but my thoughts went to mother in law, then wife...Still married, I tend to think these things, not blurt them out...*L* I like my house too much...

C

duffus

TDI
06 Jetta
I didn't drive my 06 for about 2 weeks (I was out of town on business)-- and now it is making this same noise. I am 100% certain I could hardly hear the turbo before now, but it is very loud now. Mine is still under warranty, but I might take a look under the hood before I drive an hour to the dealer. Any specific hoses to check for? I am not that familiar with the engine compartment on it.

khale

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon 5-Speed, Reflex Silver (Sold)
When I heard the sound I knew what it was. I have had 4 bad EGR flex pipes go bad on me.

It really gets irritating on a 5 hour drive on the interstate.

Last edited:

wkobe

Veteran Member
where is this egr flex pipe on an 2004? Have a loud sound like a tuning fork sound at random that will go away if i accellerate or decell

wayne

wkobe

Veteran Member
thanks for your help changed the pipe today because my wife whine was almost as bad as the pipe was

wayne