Lost power steering need direction.

notagearhead

TDI
2013 JWS M6; 2002 Jetta (fate tbd)
Went to run an errand, started vehicle (13 jsw mt). Idiotlights for steering, traction, tps light up, and the speedo information display is wildly scrolling through Bluetooth options. Shut down and restart vehicle. Same Idiotlights. Check accessory belt and ps fluid, both ok. Begin trip, sure enough, no power steering. Strangely the steering does not get easier as speed increases (I think that's weird in and of itself, I digress). More weird stereo actions, but eventually that subsides.
All this makes me think it's cpu related, but I'm a moron. Anyone have experience with this? Or can point me to a starting point? Thanks in advance.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
Oh fun. As above the steering is electric and the brains for the controls are all located in the rack itself. From your description I think the rack and it’s local controller are fine but are being affected by the issue which is also causing the MFD to cycle through screens. I suspect the canbus is sending or receiving weird signals. I’d start by looking for chafed wiring, bad grounds. The abs module and the steering module work together which is why you are getting lights for abs, tpms, stability etc.
I had a steering issue a few months ago which I documented. Was actually a very easy fix, hopefully yours is similar. https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/steering-assist-error-esp-error-g85-fixed.526681/

notagearhead

TDI
2013 JWS M6; 2002 Jetta (fate tbd)
Thanks a bunch Wilkins and everyone one else. Turns out I missed wire damage on my first "pretty thorough " inspection. Second inspection found 3 severed wires just past what Wilkins post identified as the T6X connector. A bit of a pita freeing up all the wiring harness in order to get working room for wire connectors, but I'll take that deal. Manual calibration method appears to have cleared all codes (except airbag which was the only preexisting idiotlight and apparently not related to this issue). Thanks again.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
Good to hear. One takeaway is that the car runs and is drivable with the canbus not communicating with the steering rack.
On another note there is an airbag crash sensor connector right close to the T6X connector. IIRC it’s bright yellow. Just wondering if whatever caused the steering wires to be cut might also have damaged that harness. I’m a bit concerned that not sorting the airbag issue could cause it to go off. I think one is supposed to disconnect the battery for at least 20 minutes before messing with the airbag system but don’t rely on me.

Last edited: