Lost my Best Friend yesterday........

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
a rough year for many...

We lost another Beloved Pet yesterday.....Sammy, my 8 year old Chinese Water Dragon passed away.....:( She was Ill for awhile and we were treating her for a month trying to pull her through.....She was really neat and will be missed as Stubby and Griff are....
I can empathize with this one, Tom. I just lost my Leopard Gecko, "Skitter", of 8 years also. He even traveled cross-country (with P&J) and made it to TDIFest PDX!!! Skitter caught pneumonia and died slowly, despite vet treatment. :(

Then, one of our ducks was horribly murdered by a hungry raccoon, leaving use with 1 lonely ducky. And, a month later, Samsonite (Sammy - the lonely ducky) then got the breeding/flight urge, nature took over and he flew away. It's been a rough year for animals in my house too. :(

mdtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta tdi "Blue Bob"
My kids had begged to have a dog and my wife is a dog lover. My family on the other hand had an interesting history with dogs. I spent my early childhood overseas and while over here was bitten by two dogs on separate occasions. I had to go through two rounds of anti rabies injection regimen. For the longest time I hated needles and had no use for dogs.

This last summer I was convinced by my wife that having a pet would good for the kids. The all promised that I did not have to be involved at all. I am an early riser(no rudeness intended) so I ended up taking the puffball out to do his morning routine. Pup pretty much was potty trained in a couple of days I pretty much stayed away but the darn thing would follow me around.

Long story short, after almost a lifetime I now understand how wonderful it is to have such a loyal friend. I feel you're loss and thanks for this thread. It reminds me that that we are more that just our cars.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI

Sammy and Me!! She was the neatest and sweetest thing and I loved her dearly as I did Stubby and Griff!! they were all amazing in there own ways! RIP my Babies!

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
One of my customers lost their dog a few weeks ago.
This is rather odd that I'm encountering these pet losses so frequently.
As sad as this type of personal loss is I'm wondering about the pet food industry especially the reading I've done on pet treats coming out of China.
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/chinese-pet-treats-linked-900-dog-deaths-illnesses/story?id=16414600

http://www.inquisitr.com/277972/pet-owners-sue-over-jerky-treats-dog-deaths/

I stopped giving my pets any type of treat that hasn't been made my me or the wife.
My cats love oatmeal /bacon chewies.

Tomo...I've lost a few pets due to old age...the loss is always there but so are the great memories...reflect upon the fact that you provided a warm safe place where Stubby thrived and he called "home". Do that ...and you'll have honored Stubby proudly.

Be well...and diesel on

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
As sad as this type of personal loss is I'm wondering about the pet food industry especially the reading I've done on pet treats coming out of China.
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/chinese-pet-treats-linked-900-dog-deaths-illnesses/story?id=16414600

I stopped giving my pets any type of treat that hasn't been made my me or the wife.

Tomo...I've lost a few pets due to old age...the loss is always there but so are the great memories...reflect upon the fact that you provided a warm safe place where Stubby thrived and he called "home". Do that ...and you'll have honored Stubby proudly.

Be well...and diesel on
Thanks Herm! This wasn't about old age or Chinese jerky treats......
Stubby was 5 and developed a mass on his Spleen and and was bleeding internally......Griff was 2 he had Epilepsy and developed Pancreatitis due to the Meds and it killed him.....I had unconditional love for both of these Pups and losing them was as if someone plunged there fist into my chest and ripped my heart out!!

Last edited:

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs

Be well...and diesel on
Herm; I am convinced that it is the Chinese dog food that is causing the high cancer rate and health issues in our pets. I refuse to give my pets and family members any food products from China and try to avoid buying anything from there. Sadly, it is almost impossible to completely avoid it.

mr.shooty

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI Gone. 2018 Golf R
A fitting Epithet by Lord Byron

Near this spot
Are deposited the remains of one
who possessed beauty without vanity,
strength without insolence,
courage without ferocity,
And all the virtues of man without his vices.
This praise, which would be unmeaning flattery
If inscribed over human ashes,
Is but a just tribute to the loving memory of
BOATSWAIN, a DOG

Who was born at Newfoundland, May, 1803,
And died at Newstead, Nov 18th, 1808.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
As unbelievable as it is for me it has now been 3 Years since we Lost my Beloved
"Stubby" and then Lost "Griff" and "Sammy" 18 months later......I miss these guys terribly!! and these losses truly changed my life!! Last November we Rescued "Brock"

he is an 8 Year old Rotty!! and Deja Vu, we nearly lost him this Past April!! He survived FCE! A Stroke in his Spinal Cord.....I love my Dogs!! bur some days.....

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
You are the man Don!! had a 45 minute with Nancy yesterday!! 3 years noe and you are responsible for that relationship Thanks from the Bottom of my heart

Tom!!

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
Don: What inspiring and comforting words. I'm going to save them, for when friends and I need them. Thanks.......

Tomo: What a great looking Rotty. And kudos for going with a rescue!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Brock is a handsome fellow! Glad you could rescue him... twice. :)

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
4 years ago today we lost my Stubby…….I will never get over it…I loved him so much
We have Nessa and Brock and i love them dearly…….this week we got "Winston" he is a 9 week old Olde English Bulldogge…..really cute!!

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Sorry, Tom but "cute" and "English Bulldog" are oxymorons. Really great looking as dogs go, but not cute...

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Beautiful pup,Tom! Just need to post a pic in about a year! I have a soft spot for bulldogs and pugs......

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
5 years ago we lost my "Stubby" I 1st posted it here because TDI Club is my Extended family! I still miss him terribly......3.5 months ago we lost my buddy "Brock" he was our 10 year old Rescued Rotty.....As I have gotten older losing a beloved family member is getting worse and worse on this emotional old guy..
Thanks to my other family!

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Sadly I am here again tonight to post about the loss of another Best Friend.....
My Beloved 10 year old French Mastiff "Nessa" passed away tonight in my arms.....
Once again I have lost a piece of my Heart......4 Best friends in 6 years.....don't know if I can take another.....
Thanks for my TDI Club friends.....

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Once again...

Don

P.S. You never really lose a best friend. They will always be with you in your heart.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sorry to hear this, Tom. As Parker ages I realize I will eventually have this experience. I'm dreading it. He's part of our family, just as Nessa is for you. My condolences.