Loose front wheel bearing

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
I recently found that my left front wheel [when elevated] has a lot of in and out movement so I removed the wheel and tightened the large nut on the hub, which was not loose to begin with. It is much tighter now, but with out taking it apart I can't figure what in the hub came loose. There was never any symtoms while driving and the same now. What to do now???

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Could be the large C clip popped out of the recess.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I have done the wheel bearing replacement and unless you want to buy more tools you will not use very often, buy the wheel hub with the bearing. It will also be way easier to replace timewise.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I have done the wheel bearing replacement and unless you want to buy more tools you will not use very often, buy the wheel hub with the bearing. It will also be way easier to replace timewise.

No it isn’t. Why spend that kind of money for a whole wheel hub/ spindle assy when all’s you need is a bearing.....

You can borrow the tools from a local auto parts store cost you nothing.
Takes me an hour to R&R a wheel bearing......just did one last week.....
Just my opinion and .02.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The more tools the merrier, then of course the more you have you’ll need a place to store them with some type of organization so you can easily find them.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Please be sure of where the in and out movement was coming from. If the ball joint just under the hub is shot, it might feel in and out like that, but instead of the bearing it is the ball joint.

I would suggest that having a little help so you can see where the movement is will be of great help. For example, there is a little space between the CV joint and the hub. If the wheel bearing is indeed shot, you'd find that space varies as the wheel moves in and out. On the other hand, if the ball joint is toast, then that space would remain the same but you'd feel/see movement at the bottom of the hub where the ball joint is.

Cheers,

PH

afterthisnap

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagons, ALH/CJAA
No it isn’t. Why spend that kind of money for a whole wheel hub/ spindle assy when all’s you need is a bearing.....
You can borrow the tools from a local auto parts store cost you nothing.
Takes me an hour to R&R a wheel bearing......just did one last week.....
Just my opinion and .02.

I've had similar experiences, but I've also spent more than an hour trying to remove a snap ring one molecule of rust at a time. At this age, it depends on the history of the vehicle/part.