Looks like the VW ID.4 is popular

bwilson4web

TDI
17 Prius Prime, 14 BMW i3-REx
Source: https://insideevs.com/news/445691/volkswagen-outsold-all-id4-1st-us/

We don't know how strong the demand is, but the limited edition is gone.
The Volkswagen ID.4 reservation platform for the U.S. was launched at yesterday's global premiere of the model, but it seems that the first limited editions are already sold out!
The official Volkswagen site shows two options:
2021 ID.4 1ST Edition, scheduled for Q1 2021
2021 ID.4 Pro, scheduled for mid-2021
The first one is "sold out" so customers interested in the ID.4 now have no choice but to go with the regular "Pro" version.
According to the info that comes into our inbox, reportedly only about 2,000 1ST were envisioned for the U.S. market. It's not a lot, but it's great to see that all were reserved quickly, which shows potentially strong demand also for the regular version.

Just sharing but as a Tesla Std Rng Plus Model 3 owner, the specs advertised suggests this is a serious EV. We won't really know until they show up in the EPA 'Test Car Database' but so far, the press releases sound good. Note, I would not recommend buying the first model year of any car. Give them a year to finish integration and test.

Bob Wilson

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It's a nice looking vehicle, except for the white steering wheel, which seems like a bad idea. If the ID.3 were coming here I'd be tempted.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
I guess I’ll be your huckleberry. I was one of the 2000 to get my deposit in before they ran out of the first edition. You can still put a deposit down on one of the other grades but it will be midsummer before delivery.
Yeah I don’t like the white steering wheel but I’m not going to pick that nit. The other qualities have led me to my third VW. In white btw.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
The problem with waiting a year is that VW
only has about 140,000 federal tax credits left. Normally I would say wait but my personal circumstances dictate otherwise.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
The CD on the ID 4 is 0.28 which is exactly half way between the Model Y's 0.24 and the Rav 4 Hybrid's 0.32. That might help predict electric efficiency.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I have made my second down payment on my ID4 the next step of 7 will be when they notify me that they have started to make it.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Cool. Looks as though we're probably not going to have to worry about the federal tax credits running out for quite some time. I expect the Model 3 and Y will get the tax credits back, and possibly all of the Tesla models. Hopefully VW is able to ramp up ID4 production rapidly once it starts.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2020 and 2021 production is in Germany but in 2022 VW's new EV factory will be ready in Tennessee. Less optimistic about Tesla getting their tax credits back. Tesla has such a big lead that we want others to be producing EVs. Monopolies are not a good idea. Ford is also about to put out their Mach E though it is made in Mexico and only 50,000 a year.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
President elect Biden has some extensive incentive plans for renewables and EV's. You should see what SBE(Chargepoint) stock has been doing over the last several trading days. Everything EV related in fact.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I'm aware of all that. So maybe there will be new incentives that will level the credit picture for new as well as "older" EV producers like Tesla.

Our automotive world is getting more and more schizophrenic by the year. Soon all we'll see on the road is EV cars and 700 HP pickups.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They shouldn't be too far behind the ID4. VW is focusing ID4 sales on Europe (and possibly China) until next spring roughly. They want to minimize the fines they'll have to pay for carbon emissions from the European fleet. I suppose they didn't want to buy credits from Tesla like FCA and Honda have. I can't wait to see a cybertruck. I know of someone in town (pop. ~1200) that has one pre-ordered.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Which increasingly will ALSO be electric :)
Possibly. Right now we have zero electric trucks and manufacturers seem to keep adding high HP ICE ones. And they're doing the same with cars. Audi now has a 590 HP A6 Allroad. Ridiculous.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Some of the new Audis are also "mild" hybrids, but not marketed/branded/sold as such. So the 11ty hundred HP engine is not only rarely called into using much of its peak power, it occasionally needn't use hardly any of it. MB is starting this trend, too. Think of it as a logical extension of a start-stop setup, in as much as a start-stop can be labeled logical. In some ways, it is just a modern twist on what GM did on some C-trucks some years back, only they DID tout those as being a hybrid, even though they were not really in the sense most of us think of hybrids (Prius, for example).

Ford has been hard at work testing the F150-E but hasn't been too forthcoming on its details. It won't put a dent in F150 sales with gasoline engines I'm sure.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The mild hybrids help efficiency a little, but I think their primary benefit is to smooth out acceleration at tip-in while the turbo (or supercharger) spools up. Since most cars have much smaller displacement engines now with forced induction, a little torque assist helps a lot. M-B has also gone to 48v electrical systems on some cars.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (sold); 2012 Tesla Model S
It won't put a dent in F150 sales with gasoline engines I'm sure.
Depends on what the time frame is. 2026? Sure. But hopefully we can find the courage to put our foot down on this absurdity and after 2030 if you want to buy a gasser it's gonna have to be used. ICE bans for light duty vehicles seem to be coalescing around ~2035 - 2030.

Rationally ~2025 should be the final year for new ICE and 2035 should be the final year you can register ICE.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I put a $100 deposit down on the AWD version just because my work situation has me traveling far less (and by plane when I do). Figure there's no harm since it's refundable. 302hp/348tq and 0-60 in 5.8sec isn't bad at all for a crossover. The tax credit and hatchback is what leaned me closer to this vs a Tesla.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
EPA ratings on the ID 4 are in. Just like they thought it is 250 miles range. I might do a bit better since almost all of my roads will be flat as a pancake and I'm not Boi Racer anymore.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not incredible efficiency compared to the long range Model Y that gets 325 miles epa with a smaller battery. But still extremely good compared to anything with an ICE. I think the federal tax credits will be back for all EVs by the time the awd ID4s are coming ashore.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
The efficiency might have a little to do with the CD, coefficient of drag. The Tesla Y has a CD of 0.24, the ID4 has one of 0.28, and the RAV4 Prime has one of 0.32. The RAV4 and the ID 4 tried to optimize their back hatch for taking a big box, tall as well as wide and deep while the Tesla has a more sloped back which helps CD but hinders the size of a box that can go in the hatch. Then also Tesla has been refining their electric motors and batteries for over 6 years. Give it a few years and see what happens. I need a new car soon though and Tesla is too damned expensive.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Just FYI, coefficient of drag gets multiplied by the frontal area. The original Beetle was .48. The original Transporter was .44. That didn't mean the Transporter was easier to push through the air.... it was much harder. The frontal area was MUCH more.

So those numbers are somewhat meaningless unless you have the "other" number to go along with it.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Rear wheel drive. A dual motor AWD version will be available fall 2021 but it will probably cost a bit on range.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Rear drive- that's a plus. Twist beam suspension and drum brakes in the back- not so much. VW clearly engineered the design with the American market in mind. Oh well, most buyers won't know the difference, or care if they did.

Last edited:

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
According to VW drum brakes are used in the back because actual physical brakes are seldom used. Most braking is by regeneration, converting the energy back to electricity and storing it for reuse. They were afraid disc brakes would rust from disuse. I believe it is twist beam suspension in the front and multilink in the back.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Regardless of what their PR dept. has to say, I'm fairly certain the bean counters are behind the drum brake selection. I'm sure they stop just fine. They aren't built for the 'ring. Still, I'd rather have Brembos all around like the Model Y. I won't be surprised if later ID4s or its successor get rear discs at some point after production costs come down.

Last edited: