My initial settlement offer for my 2009 Jetta with 140k was

$5,975 Vehicle Return Amount
$5,100 Restitution
Total $11,975

In a reminder e-mail last night it was

- $1,800 Vehicle Return Amount
$5,100 Restitution
Total $5,100

I guess I'm headed to the phone. The only thing I can think of is they have my mileage at 1.4M

phrinda

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI- bought back
I'm pretty sure that the tables top out around 250K. There's no way that mileage made the vehicle value negative. They messed something up pretty bad.

durundal

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, Candy White/Pure Beige, DSG, panoramic roof, rear side airbags
I'm pretty sure that the tables top out around 250K. There's no way that mileage made the vehicle value negative. They messed something up pretty bad.
No kidding, their incompetence seemingly knows no bounds. What better way to reassure people who are pissed off about fluctuating payment numbers than to send a reminder email with a random number generator for the value?

Mine is only worth half of your negative money!
$ -975 Vehicle Return Amount

$ 5,100.00 Additional Restitution Payment

     $ 13,200.00 ESTIMATED Amount VW Will Pay You**

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
No kidding, their incompetence seemingly knows no bounds. What better way to reassure people who are pissed off about fluctuating payment numbers than to send a reminder email with a random number generator for the value?

Mine is only worth half of your negative money!
$ -975 Vehicle Return Amount

$ 5,100.00 Additional Restitution Payment

     $ 13,200.00 ESTIMATED Amount VW Will Pay You**
In my case, the estimated amount that VW will pay me is correct. But the vehicle return amount is random. In my case, it is a positive number, but I can't say what it is or where it came from.

infirewetrust

TDI
Jetta
Don't feel so bad, my final offer letter said I owe over 67k on my car! Whoever I talked to on the phone couldn't grasp what my issue was.

phrinda

Veteran Member
TDI
Is it possible that the negative number shown is actually just the mileage adjustment? Kind of like the computer system put that in but glitched out the beginning vehicle value?

jdyno718

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE Manual
I think your beginning assumption is wrong. They are not giving you the value of your car $5,975 plus additional restitution of $5,100. The values are combined into one amount. In your case the mileage reduction puts the value of your car and compensation under the minimum of $5,100 so that is what your offer is. Unless I'm mistaken...

phrinda

Veteran Member
TDI
I think your beginning assumption is wrong. They are not giving you the value of your car $5,975 plus additional restitution of $5,100. The values are combined into one amount. In your case the mileage reduction puts the value of your car and compensation under the minimum of $5,100 so that is what your offer is. Unless I'm mistaken...
I believe that you are mistaken. The wording of the final offers very clearly state:

Vehicle Return Amount= x
Additional Restitution= y
VW will pay you= x+y

There is no way that mileage adjustment would bring it to a negative value. Granted this is from the golf tables, but even with an adjusted mileage of +245,001 miles there would only be a negative adjustment of $4,950. That number will not bring a '10 JSW to a negative value.

Last edited:

jdyno718

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE Manual
Correct, VW is paying x, value of car,+ y, additional restitution, = z, buyback amount. However their offer is just z. they don't say here is x, value of vehicle, and here is y, additional restitution. they say here is z, which is vehicle and restitution.

so the assumption of adding on $5,100 to the values in these tables is wrong. https://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/fi...tion_table.pdf

step 2 mileage adjustment:
https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/case...up-america-inc

OP: based on New England your minimum car value and restitution would be $12,077 minus any mileage reduction. Maybe you did incorrectly input mileage at over a million, and the resulting car value plus restitution is less than the minimum of $5,100...

Last edited:

tjsadler

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6m
Correct, VW is paying x, value of car,+ y, additional restitution, = z, buyback amount. However their offer is just z. they don't say here is x, value of vehicle, and here is y, additional restitution. they say here is z, which is vehicle and restitution.

so the assumption of adding on $5,100 to the values in these tables is wrong. https://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/fi...tion_table.pdf

step 2 mileage adjustment:
https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/case...up-america-inc

OP: based on New England your minimum car value and restitution would be $12,077 minus any mileage reduction. Maybe you did incorrectly input mileage at over a million, and the resulting car value plus restitution is less than the minimum of $5,100...
You're confusing the format of the buyback tables with the buyback offer letter which DOES split the amounts and then give a total. There are several examples posted here and on Reddit. Look for one and you'll understand.

engelhart

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
My reminder letter is incorrect too in exactly the same way. Total amount is right but the vehicle return amount is wrong. I think a new bug in the system.

02TDIred

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta (225K, retired), 05 JSW (334K, retired) 2012 JSW, SEL Gone, 2016 GSW/TSI/6A
My reminder letter is incorrect too in exactly the same way. Total amount is right but the vehicle return amount is wrong. I think a new bug in the system.
Compliments of the Rooskies, dontcha' know.

Last edited:

Jibeho

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
I just got someone that seemed to make some sense, she said for some reason the system changed me from a buy back to a repair. She is letting IT know :)

Jibeho

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
Still can't sell my car back to VW (SOLD)

The saga continues. Ad i noted this this post http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=470922 they had the amount all wrong. I was not receiving the car value which should eb about $5,900. Well they made some calls and said make another appointment, I did. I go into my new appointment a month later and it is the same thing all over again. The only have me down for the restitution amount. The keep blaming it on the "APP". Calling the toll free number is a total waste of time.
So at this point I have wasted 4 hours of my time over this.

Last edited:

Javaz64

TDI
2012 Jetta sport wagon
I had an appointment for the sell back at Dec. 17th. I went to the dealer and the lady told me that the check didn't get there, it got lost. The only available date opening was a month later on Jan 24th. The drama continues.

Jibeho

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
An update. A very diligent dealer representative finally got to someone at VW and found the answer. The told her just to ignore the missing $5900 and "click through" the app. Sure enough after it was all said and done the missing money was added back into the settlement. It appears there is a bug in their app. Well we are down to just one TDI now.