Looks like a new cam is in my future

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
Took a peek at the cam today @ 93,000 miles. I bought it new, have done all the oil changes myself & used 505.01 every time.

ErikR

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI pk2 5-spd Black/Black
sucks but that's the cost of BRM ownership. I replaced mine with a stock BRM cam and dropped the 505.01 oil and I'm now using the wallmart-sourced mobil TDT 40w. I got 150K miles out of the first cam, hoping the second cam lasts for at least 150K miles.

blksmok

TDI
06 BRM package 2
Forgive the stupid question, but where are you looking, what needs to be removed to get there, and what exaclty shows that you need a new cam?

Unfortunately, this picture doesn't speak a 1000 words to the novice like myself, but I'd like to learn. :)

ebockus

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 jetta tdi
blksmok u need to take off the valve cover, its a bunch of t30 torques. covers tricky to come but it will. ya did my cam inspection today too, looks the same, sharp edges? windjammer what cam kit you installing? from where? i was lookin at the one from bora auto 695 bucks for bearings, cam, bolts. did u do you own swap?

degree_tdi

TDI
00 TDI
please forgive another stupid question, but does removing the valve cover mean having to replace the valve cover gasket when reinstalling?

is it like simply take out the torx and it comes out?

is there a DIY for this?

bghartm

TDI
2006 BRM 5 speed
please forgive another stupid question, but does removing the valve cover mean having to replace the valve cover gasket when reinstalling?

is it like simply take out the torx and it comes out?

is there a DIY for this?
Valve cover is re-usable. It requires a little maneuvering but yes it is fairly simple. You need to undo two clips on the TB cover and pull it out of the way too. I might also take a little gasket sealer and put on the underside of the gasket so it sticks to the valve cover. It makes it quite a bit easier to re-install the valve cover.
It shouldnt take you more then 3-4 minutes to remove everything. Pretty easy.

msiert

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW New Beetle 2006.5 Jetta Edition
blksmok u need to take off the valve cover, its a bunch of t30 torques. covers tricky to come but it will. ?
Is it true that the engine can't be at TDC when removing the cam cover?

ebockus

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 jetta tdi
i didnt pay attetion to the position of the motor, not sure if it was at TDC. my car runs fine and is a bit worn, no rough idle. im gonna order parts soon. i think if you have rough idle failure is in the near future.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Not sure yet. I can buy Pentosin HPII from the parts store about 10 blocks from my house.
Don't want to burst your bubble. But that's the oil I used at my 40K & my 50K & my 60K mile oil changes when the wear started to show on my UOA and I also used it on 70K mile oil change. Guess what, I won't use it ever again! TDT for me!

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
What made you check...rough idle?
Just curiosity. No running issues.

Don't want to burst your bubble. But that's the oil I used at my 40K & my 50K & my 60K mile oil changes when the wear started to show on my UOA and I also used it on 70K mile oil change. Guess what, I won't use it ever again! TDT for me!
I think I'm going to do an oil change with TDT & see what the analysis says.

msiert

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW New Beetle 2006.5 Jetta Edition
Really sorry you have to go to this expense!

I have an extended warranty to 100,000 on my BRM (at 52,000 now) so I'm lock into 505.01.:mad: Maybe with a little luck my cam will go before that.

I take it that bringing the car into the dealer with no running issues and pictures of worn cam lobes (like you did) will get a person no where?

Do you really have to wait for running issues when you have proof of cam wear???

Last edited:

dieselpony

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL 6 speed manual Moonrock Silver
Really sorry you have to go to this expense!

I have an extended warranty to 100,000 on my BRM (at 52,000 now) so I'm lock into 505.01.:mad: Maybe with a little luck my cam will go before that.

I take it that bringing the car into the dealer with no running issues and pictures of worn cam lobes (like you did) will get a person no where?

Do you really have to wait for running issues when you have proof of cam wear???
I have the same question about extended warranty and cam wear. I have until 72000 miles or June, 2012 (currently 67400 miles) on my Fidelity Platinum and just got a UOA report back that says iron wear is at 199 ppm (should be 38) and lead is at 5 (should be 2). Oil report is here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3581455&postcount=2403

Probably need to take off the valve cover and take a look sometime soon. Really, probably should have taken a look at cam when I bought the car in September, but I knew it could be a potential problem and factored that in. Was just hoping it would be a couple years down the road. But if I can get it replaced under warranty, that would be awesome.