Looking to install new sound system want to upgrade Alternator as well what can I put in and what do I need?

OmfgWalrus

TDI
2002 VW Golf
I have a 2002 Golf TDI 5 Speed

So I am planning on putting a Kicker 1200W Amp CX1200.1 is the model number with Dual Kicker CompR 12" subs

The amp runs at

1200Watts @ 2 Ohm Which the subs are wired at 2 Ohm so this is the power I will be running

The Subs require 1000Watts RMS so this amp is more than enough

Here is my question though the stock Alternator is 120Amps if my research is correct so I am unsure if this Alternator is going to be able to handle that much power.
I am assuming it will end up burning itself out after like 6 months to a year.

So basically I am just wondering if I should upgrade my Alternator before I do the Sub Amp install at some point I will also most likely be doing the door speakers but chances are I will just be installing a 180-200W power pack for those. so at most the sound system will be pulling 1400Watts of power

So what am I able to put into my TDI or do I even need to upgrade or will the stock Alternator be ok?

P.S. I am also thinking about doing the Big 3 upgrade as well

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
don't worry, if you use that much power, you won't hear the alt fail. Get something more efficient...mid-90's in terms of dB 1W-1m worth of SPL.
cheers,
Douglas

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Big 3 wire upgrade (k wire soldered terminals)
2nd battery, no caps, no marketing bs.
Go for ohms in a mono sub
600watts all around with sub around 1500. Tuning and acoustical prep is 99% of making it sound good vs (generic exploitive)

OmfgWalrus

TDI
2002 VW Golf
Big 3 wire upgrade (k wire soldered terminals)
2nd battery, no caps, no marketing bs.
Go for ohms in a mono sub
600watts all around with sub around 1500. Tuning and acoustical prep is 99% of making it sound good vs (generic exploitive)
I'm already pretty much set on that I would like to upgrade the alternator, Pretty sure this car basically hasn't had much replaced since its existence so it wouldn't hurt to get a new Alt anyways. I have already done the Turbo, Radiator, Headlights and replaced all filters and fluids.

So I am just trying to find out if there is any limitations to the amperage of an alternator I can get and what amperage I should get for that particular Amp and sub setup

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I'm already pretty much set on that I would like to upgrade the alternator, Pretty sure this car basically hasn't had much replaced since its existence so it wouldn't hurt to get a new Alt anyways. I have already done the Turbo, Radiator, Headlights and replaced all filters and fluids.

So I am just trying to find out if there is any limitations to the amperage of an alternator I can get and what amperage I should get for that particular Amp and sub setup
The just rebuild it. It's not to difficult. No reason to upgrade a 120amp alternator unless your already maxing it out with a air ride system and 3x of headlights like some have.
However. If you dig around. There is a company who can make a 400 amp alternator for these cars. I lost the book mark a while ago.

dlhovland

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf Tdi manual transmission. Wife's car a 2014 toured v6 Tdi
The just rebuild it. It's not to difficult. No reason to upgrade a 120amp alternator unless your already maxing it out with a air ride system and 3x of headlights like some have.
However. If you dig around. There is a company who can make a 400 amp alternator for these cars. I lost the book mark a while ago.
400 amps at 12 volts + 4800 watts perfect world need at least 7 horse power to drive it more likely 10 horse power

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Are you one of those people who engage in those "My stereo is louder than yours" contests ? Because what you want to do is just totally insane with these cars....