Looking to buy an outdoor car cover

Asmerrill

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Blue Silk Golf TDI SEL
My car sits out in the elements for 24 hours when I'm at work. During the summer, the monsoons blow through kicking up dust and also when we take off, the rotor wash blows dirt everywhere. Any suggestions as which one I should get?

Fordcougar

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (SOLD)
With that much dust blowing around combined with the rotor wash, I'd be worried about it getting trapped between the cover and the car and really causing damage.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The one that comes with a garage. The covers may be good for water, sun and bird droppings, but dirt and/or sand and a cover won't be good. I think it would be better to have the sand hit the car than be ground back and forth under the cover like sand paper. Park farther away from the chopper so the rotor wash isn't so bad.

rte2MA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I went through this a year ago when I was trying to figure out how to protect my new 2010 which doesn't have a garage. I eventually decided against a car cover. From what I read it sounds like it's too easy to scratch the finish unless the car is pristine clean before adding the cover. Plus, if the cover is on for any length of time in our climate you can end up with condensation.

So I'm just doing the best I can with lots of washing/waxing & TLC. And I do have a makeshift contingency plan if it looks like we're going to get a hail storm (happily nothing I've had to try out yet). Your conditions do sound challenging though. If I were in your shoes I might go for a light short-term cover with the softest lining available.

Victor-Whiskey

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
I had a similar situation once. I used a lightweight nylon cover with strategically placed nd magnets to hold it still, and tied under the car securely. Was on for 3 mos while I was TDY. Worked great.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
But was it in AZ in the desert getting blasted by wind and dirt/sand and rotor wash? The only green I see around that area is a golf course. Any where else that wasn't a desert like environment I would say a cover would be fine.