Looking to buy a Touareg

Waykooljr

TDI
2009 TDI Stock with 6spd manual
I am in the market for my next TDI. I am really looking at the Treg and have no experience with these cars. I have a Malone tuned Jetta that I love. Can you guys point out some things that I should look for or be aware of when looking at these models, like model years to avoid and such? i have heard rumors about these cars needing over hauls long begore 200k but really don't know if this is true or not.
Thanks!

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Do not buy this car if you are not prepared to have some things replaced . I have had very good experience with my 2 TREGs. First one had 60k miles when the emissions scandal hit and I sold it back to VW for almost what I paid for it 6yrs later. The 2016 has a full warranty of drive train emissions for 10yrs,so most of the big issues are covered.

I would look into a extended warranty if you plan on keeping it for a long time. Small thinks cost a bunch to fix or replace. Tailgate strut for example go for $400+to fix and they do go bad on many cars. My extended warranty covered that expense.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
You may also want to look at a Q5 also. If you can work on them you should be fine either way. My son works on VW & Audis and keeps ours going. Parts are a little more expensive and they are just as quirky as the other VWs. I've had 2 Touaregs and now we have 2 Q5s. The Touaregs are slightly heavier and love tires. I never got over 20k out of any brand of tires I ran even keeping them rotated and the car aligned up. I am having a better run with the Q5s with tires. The engines are the same and I think the trans is as well.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
A little lower and roomier the Passat is a great car.
I traded a 2015 Passat TSI for a 2012 Touareg mostly because as we age the Passat was a good bit lower and harder to get into and out of.
The Touareg is a little quieter and has a high end nav, but overall the Passat has more room, more luggage space and gets much better mileage.

Waykooljr

TDI
Well...I bought a 2009 X5 Xdrive 35D. 84k miles. Its your fault joep1234 lol, it just worked out to be a better deal. ;)

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
My daughter bought a 2010 X3 and she paid for it at least twice at the repair shop. Son in law bought her a new Toyota Highlander to save money.

Waykooljr

TDI
Loving the new X5 so far. Maybe I got lucky but what a nice ride! Got it at auction price. 9k

kevingrall1

TDI
2005 BEW Golf, 2013 Touareg TDI
Bought my 13 Touareg 4 months ago, diagnosing a leaking coolant issue this week (Can’t find a leak anywhere, removed cover, got underneath the car, inspected all areas, no leaks, no oil in reservoir either). I’ll be taking mine in for 120k service, so I’ll have my shop pressure check at the same time, I’m sure I’m missing something. So far it’s been 4K miles of excellence beyond the above issue.