Looking for Winter wheel ideas......17in steelies??

mischievousMk6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
so, i want to put some Blizzaks on my golf for winter. I know it's early, but I want to have them before Fall comes along. Need some suggestions on what wheels to get for the blizzaks. I would like to just get some plain 17in steel wheels but I havent really seen any. I believe the tdi comes witha full size spare which is a steel 17in isn't it? I want to stick with the stock wheel/tire sizes 225/45R17 so please don't suggest I get 16in steelies. Thanks.

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
My plan for this fall was to buy some inexpensive alloy wheels from Tire Rack with snow tires. But when I was at the VW dealer, I saw that they had wheel/tire/sensor packages that they were selling for a good price (like $800 or so). These were from cars where the the buyer upgraded the wheels, so they are OEM VW wheels. I asked if I could get wheels like that with snow tires on them, and the parts manager said that they always sell snow tire packages like that in the fall.

I guess the dealer accumulates lots of wheels from people who upgrade, and then makes up packages like this to get rid of them. So that's what I plan to do in September or October. Might as well get VW wheels if they will be no more expensive (and maybe even less) than Tire Rack.

I might even see if they have any Porto wheels that they can use to make a package for me....

LandCruiser

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Mazda Miata
mischievousMk6 said:
so, i want to put some Blizzaks on my golf for winter. I know it's early, but I want to have them before Fall comes along. Need some suggestions on what wheels to get for the blizzaks. I would like to just get some plain 17in steel wheels but I havent really seen any. I believe the tdi comes witha full size spare which is a steel 17in isn't it? I want to stick with the stock wheel/tire sizes 225/45R17 so please don't suggest I get 16in steelies. Thanks.
First of all, you ain't going to find 17" steelies easily. I've seen them on BMWs but rare. You're better off finding other VW OE 17" alloys or generic aftermarket.

2nd - Your full size spare is a 15" wheel 195/65/15. Not 100%, but pretty sure. I know the Golf TDI used 15" while the Jetta used 16".

3rd - Why stick with stock size 17s for winter? Do you know that Canadian Golfs come with 16s 205/55 stock? You're obviously not going for looks since you suggested steelies. You aren't going for performance because Blizzaks are generally mushy. With a lower profile tire, you're losing in sidewall protection and price. Not to mention, have you ever weighed a 17" steelie? Holy crap, the thing must be 32lbs+ wheel alone.

Here's my suggestion :p . Get 16" steelies/alloys and 205/55/16 winter tires.

ibid

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Red
better yet, get 15" steelies or 15" alloys (better winter cushion with thicker sidewall too)

I bought snow tires myself in 15" with 15" steelies and then bought 15" alloys so my 15" steelies will be FS in november but I could sell them now if you are interested...

Trbogolf

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Sportwagen
Check out some of the cheaper 16" alloys on tire rack. You'll do better with the smaller size in the white stuff. Since winters aren't that bad here I run 16" Sport editions with 205-55-16 dunlop winter sports. IIRC the package shipped was only $725. They have held up well for the past 3 years.

mischievousMk6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
all good suggestions...

the reason I didn't want to deviate from the stock size tire/wheel is I don't want to throw off the speedo. Where can I find 16 in steelies? OE vw would be best if possible.

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
mischievousMk6 said:
all good suggestions...

the reason I didn't want to deviate from the stock size tire/wheel is I don't want to throw off the speedo. Where can I find 16 in steelies? OE vw would be best if possible.
You don't have to worry about throwing off the speedo.

195/65/15
205/55/16
225/45/17

are all within 1/10th of an inch in overall diameter of each other.

mischievousMk6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
ok, checked out Tirerack for the 16in steelies and WS60 tires. Saves a bunch of money over going with 17in. Thanks for all the help. i will most likely be going with that setup unless anyone else has any other ideas.

One other question. Do I need to buy TPsensors for the steel wheels? Is it worth it or will a light just be on my dash for the winter months?

Last edited:

ibid

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Red
I bought TPMS for mine... BUT you can also disable TPMS with vag-com if you want to save money..

I personally prefer to go the smallest allowed for winter cushion but chicagoland winters can be brutal... I only deviated from the steelies because I came across a deal on 15" alloys I liked that was too good to pass up...

btw.. although the speedo won't be off based on proper tire size used, it CAN be off depending on width of wheel used compared to stock because a tire will sit higher or lower on a skinnier or wider rim..

The stock sized 17" porto is 17x7.5" and I got aftermarket summer 18x7.5" with factory stock 225 40 18s so I wouldn't alter the speedo...

LandCruiser

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Mazda Miata
mischievousMk6 said:
ok, checked out Tirerack for the 16in steelies and WS60 tires. Saves a bunch of money over going with 17in. Thanks for all the help. i will most likely be going with that setup unless anyone else has any other ideas.

One other question. Do I need to buy TPsensors for the steel wheels? Is it worth it or will a light just be on my dash for the winter months?
I think it's a wise choice to go with 16" steelies but you may want to do research on the Blizzaks. Ask yourself, how much actual snow driving will you be doing? The Blizzaks have always had a reputation of wearing away faster than desire if driven on dry roads primarily. They are fantatic in the white stuff, that's a given.

If you do drive alot in packed/deep snow, then go with the WS60. If you plan to use them mostly on dry conditions, you may want to check out the Dunlop WS 3D or Michelin PA3. They far better handling tires when it isn't snowing, and will wear slower...but they are still fantastic snow tires that doesn't give up too much compared to the WS60.

As for TPMS, save $200, look at yellow light, spend $200, light goes off. That's pretty much it.

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
i always see great deals on wheel packages at my VW dealer. during the winter they had wheels and winter tires for $600

cant remember if that included the sensors though

BumbleBeeTJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG
unless you live in parts of the country where you get over two feet of accumulating snow(even three) or you live in mountaineous area, snow tires are not necessary.

i drove my Z4 (RWD) as a daily driver in MD. no problem as long as they plow the road since it is LOW to the ground(maybe 5 inches from ground to bumper) drove my minivan this past blizzard of 2010 with half worn, crappy bridgestone tires. made it just fine.

honestly winter tires are waste of money for me. I can do just fine with all seasons(hell even with summer tires) you just got to know how to drive(or react)

mischievousMk6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I have to respectfully disagree...

Snow tires make a huge difference. All seasons IMHO are terrible all-around in all the seasons (hence their designation, lol). To me, your better off with a set of sticky summer tires and a good set of snows....at least in the northeast and any other area with similar seasons.

Living in Albany,NY and frequently traveling to Buffalo, snows are invaluable when it comes to control/traction in the wet and cold stuff.

I too drove my RWD (240sx) car for 6 winters and had much better traction with winter rubber on the rear. When I did forget to change the all-seasons over to snows and tried traversing in poor weather, i was sliding around anytime over 20mph. Just my experience though, I'm not sure what Maryland winters are usually like.

Thanks for the input.

PaulGiz

Veteran Member
TDI
None any more. My heart couldn't take it.
mischievousMk6 said:
I have to respectfully disagree...

Snow tires make a huge difference. All seasons IMHO are terrible all-around in all the seasons (hence their designation, lol). To me, your better off with a set of sticky summer tires and a good set of snows....at least in the northeast and any other area with similar seasons.

Living in Albany,NY and frequently traveling to Buffalo, snows are invaluable when it comes to control/traction in the wet and cold stuff.

I too drove my RWD (240sx) car for 6 winters and had much better traction with winter rubber on the rear. When I did forget to change the all-seasons over to snows and tried traversing in poor weather, i was sliding around anytime over 20mph. Just my experience though, I'm not sure what Maryland winters are usually like.

Thanks for the input.
I'm glad you were gentle. People who never lived in snowy areas can't conceive what it's like. They get snow a couple of times a year and congratulate themselves on their ruggedness. Even here in Southern New England it's nothing like I experienced living in the Buffalo area a few years.

As I recall, from November through early April it snowed almost every day. Sometimes a lot, sometimes a little. All County vehicles had tow chains with them to pull people out of ditches, which happened a lot. I learned Front- or 4-wheel drive are nicer than RWD (at least 6 months a year), I learned snow tires can be life-savers. And I learned long johns aren't just for hillbillies.

P.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Doesn't Baltimore Maryland shut the city down when there is even the threat of snow?

I agree that the need for snows is needed, and like Bumblebee mentioned, if your area sees substantial snow more than 4-5 times it's worth it. For me when I want to travel I don't want the weather to play a factor in my plans.

I have the WS-60 in the 15" flavor. I put about 5,000 miles on them last winter. I've heard you get the best winter/snow traction on the first 10,000. So far the've been fantastic, no complaints of mushyness or road noise what so ever. I ran them around 40lbs and loved how they ate up the bumps and dug into the snow, very predicable handling in the snow. I hope that the next 6,000 miles will be just as good, and so far I haven't regreated my purchase.

This up comming winter, with my new commute of 50 miles highway I hope they wear just as good when the roads will be 75% plowed and clear.

Stirer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Platinum Gray GLS
BumbleBeeTJ said:
unless you live in parts of the country where you get over two feet of accumulating snow(even three) or you live in mountaineous area, snow tires are not necessary.

i drove my Z4 (RWD) as a daily driver in MD. no problem as long as they plow the road since it is LOW to the ground(maybe 5 inches from ground to bumper) drove my minivan this past blizzard of 2010 with half worn, crappy bridgestone tires. made it just fine.

honestly winter tires are waste of money for me. I can do just fine with all seasons(hell even with summer tires) you just got to know how to drive(or react)
I also must respectfully disagree. With the snow we get in Pittsburgh, combined with the hills and narrow roads snow tires are a must. My all season/summer tires just won't provide enough grip on the backroads. Sure, my commute on the turnpike is almost always drama free but the 5 miles to the turnpike would be a horror ride between the ditches.

Glad to hear that you don't think you need them but please keep perspective on location in the country and where/how you drive when offering advice to others on something that could be so critical as snow tires.

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
Snows are nice to have, but i don't really need em here in the chicago suburbs. We get that heavy snow fall once or twice a year and I'm able to get by with the all seasons. My concern with with all the salt and not wanting to damage the finish on the regular rims. I think that would be the only reason for me to get an alternate set of wheels more than anything else. Everyone has their own preference, do what YOU'RE comfortable with.

boomvang

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
I live in the Syracuse area, winner of the Golden Snowball for most snowfall in a major city for as long as we've been here. IMO, if you live in an area that gets any amount of snow, all-season tires are next to useless. They stink as decent performance tires, and they stink as serious snow tires. We have always bought dedicated snows for the season. Part of the fun of looking forward to spring is the changing of the snows. With a floor jack it takes all of 30 minutes, including time spent inspecting the underside for problems, treating the boots with silicone and addressing the invariable rust outbreaks.
Your tires are the only thing between you and the road, the cost of a good set of snows is more than offset by the savings realized by avoiding unscheduled off-road excursions.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
195/65-15 tires on OEM VW steel take-off wheels from a Jetta or Golf/Rabbit is my recommendation.

195/65-15 or 205/55-16 or 225/45-17 were all stock sizes on both Golf/Rabbit and Jetta.

15" is more economical to purchase, more likely to be offered for sale as a take-off wheel, and provides better protection against wheel damage from pot holes. I have a set of 15" that included TPMS and hub caps that I obtained for a very reasonable cost.

IMHO, the only reason to use 17" and keep the original size for snow wheels/tire is when there are not 16" or 15" available to fit the vehicle.

I want to stick with the stock wheel/tire sizes 225/45R17 so please don't suggest I get 16in steelies. Thanks
You don't want good advice, I gave it to you anyway.

ibid

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Red
lol.. I don't know what the big push or 16" steelies is over the 15" steelies is myself.. 16" tires are more expensive and not as large a selection as 15".. more cushion is better and a 195 cutting through the snow is better than the 205 any day of the week!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
not on the wagen! not sure about the Golf.

My 15"s were scary close to the calipers on my sedan, and it's be noted time and time again the Wagen has bigger brakes than the sedan. Again not sure about the Golf, but seeing they have the upgraded suspention, i'd imagine it'd have the bigger brakes.

LandCruiser

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Mazda Miata
740GLE said:

My 15"s were scary close to the calipers on my sedan, and it's be noted time and time again the Wagen has bigger brakes than the sedan. Again not sure about the Golf, but seeing they have the upgraded suspention, i'd imagine it'd have the bigger brakes.
Again, they fit on the 2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI. :rolleyes:

motoblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf DSG
740GLE said:

The '10 Golf has the same brakes as the Jetta sedan. 15" will fit.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
LandCruiser said:
Again, they fit on the 2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI. :rolleyes:
According to boomvang's profile he's rolling in a JSW, which is not a Golf, thus his question will 15's work for him, they in fact will not.

That's sweet the 15's fit on the golf, I really enjoy mine, and I want to say the winter set up with 15's form a passat and the WS-60s aren't that heavy of a tire rim combo, i'd almost say they are lighter than the biolines/hancooks vbmenu_register("postmenu_2981174", true);

Trbogolf

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Sportwagen
ibid said:
even both tirerack and discount tire direct show 15s working on the 2010 Golf FWIW
That's because 15's will work on the Golf and Jetta Sedan. I believe the push for 16's is because the OP has a JSW which has the same size brakes as the GTI in front. Which requires a minimum 16" wheel.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Easiest way to tell how small you can go is to look at the spare in the trunk and go no smaller than that. VW will not give you a spare tire any larger than it has to.

I went with 15's for snows on my '09 Sedan. I found 15" steelies on Craigslist for $200 with TPMS locally around Chicago. I went to Discount Tire just to get the steelies mounted with the fairly decent rubber thay had on them. That weekend they had a deal on any 4 tires $100 off. I found a set of Continental Viking snows for $235 out the door, after they gave me some trade in value for the decent rubber that was on the steelies.

The main reason I went with 15" steelies is that in the winter I want more sidewall between the road and the rim as potholes are an issue around Chicagoland. Plus, who needs alloys in the winter? They just get eaten up by salt and they are more expensive to replace in the event of damage. 15" tires are much cheaper as well.