Looking for some recommendations.. (higher mileage alh)

LOWRANGO

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf GLS TDI Auto
Hi everyone, I was looking for some suggestions on what to do to make my wagon a little more "fun" to drive. My old 99.5 had a few mods and they made me happy, but things have changed some in the last 3 years. I'm sure there are better options out there at this point.

Info on the car. 03 jetta wagon, 180K , 5sp, all maintenance is up to date. I do have a 11mm pump and lift pump that i can install, but haven't. I don't want to go threw hassle of installing items that do not complement the other.

What I want out of car. Just want it to be fun to drive. I don't want to break things, lol. I really do not want to replace the turbo at this time, and don't want upgrades that will be too much for the turbo.

So with keeping it simple... what size nozzles to go with? Arron is having specials that I would liek to take advantage of ;). For tuning I will probably go rc as he is not too far away. Would such slight mods get any benefit with a 11mm injection pump and a lift pump? Sorry for what may seem like newb questions but I have been out of the loop for a while. Thanks in advance :D

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
LOWRANGO said:
Hi everyone, I was looking for some suggestions on what to do to make my wagon a little more "fun" to drive. My old 99.5 had a few mods and they made me happy, but things have changed some in the last 3 years. I'm sure there are better options out there at this point.

Info on the car. 03 jetta wagon, 180K , 5sp, all maintenance is up to date. I do have a 11mm pump and lift pump that i can install, but haven't. I don't want to go threw hassle of installing items that do not complement the other.

What I want out of car. Just want it to be fun to drive. I don't want to break things, lol. I really do not want to replace the turbo at this time, and don't want upgrades that will be too much for the turbo.

So with keeping it simple... what size nozzles to go with? Arron is having specials that I would liek to take advantage of ;). For tuning I will probably go rc as he is not too far away. Would such slight mods get any benefit with a 11mm injection pump and a lift pump? Sorry for what may seem like newb questions but I have been out of the loop for a while. Thanks in advance :D
With the stock turbo there isn't much point in surpassing PP520's or PP502's. I'd probably do the lift pump, but not bother with the 11mm injection pump until you decide to upgrade the turbo. That should give you fairly clean exhaust with a somewhat aggressive yet safe tune (I have no idea what that would equate to with RC). You could very well end up needing a clutch though. If that isn't an option then tuning will give you a bigger bang for the buck than the nozzles.

Souzafone

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 Jetta A4, Whitish
Your '99 had a stronger clutch, if you go with what you had, as an example, you'll most likely need a clutch. My car was stock except for PP520's and RC3 for quite awhile and I always thought that the car should have come from the factory that way. Pretty sweet gains for minimal investment, but it will kill a stock clutch.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
it's a crapshoot with the clutch on the 99.5's.. Yes they all have a stronger clutch, but they aren't new anymore so most are worn just enough so that they slip with mods..

I seen the "higher mileage" in the title of the thread and expected to see higher mileage haha... I just did a round of mods on a customer's ALH with about 300k on it...