Looking for light weight wheel setups!! 12’ Jetta TDI

Isaacsamtdi

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Alright so I have a 2012 Jetta TDI, stupidly I decided to buy 21’ GLI wheels because I wanted to change the look. Bad idea. Made the car feel 10x worse in handling, acceleration and braking and of course MPG. So it got me thinking how much did my 16 inch navarra wheels and tires weight. So I got my digital and analog scale out. For reference the fronts had 50% life and rears 80%
Wheel specs
16x6.5 50mm offset
All 4 tires continental control contact tour A/S plus 205/55/16
Front wheels weighted 36 pound each balanced
Rear wheels weighted 37.4 pound each balanced
Both scales confirmed the weight.
Online it says the tires should weight 20 pounds a tire making the wheels only weight 15-18 pounds ? I’m not sure if that’s true so if someone wants to chime in that would be great because I asked someone and they claimed 23 pounds for this model wheel with no tire. Which should make this wheel and tire setup new,43 pounds so I’m not sure if it’s possible to actually loose 7 pounds in rubber by driving and loosing tread. Now if the wheel weight given too me is off and that’s the case that they only weight 15-18 pounds I’ll keep these 16s and take suggestions for lightweight eco efficient tires something that’s also quiet so any suggestions for that would be of great help. Online Varys in weights and I can’t seem to find a solid weight for one single tire in a 205/55/16.
My second idea was if these wheels aren’t 15-18 pound and they really are 23 pounds to grab 15 inch Lyon wheels off the sportwagen s. Not fully sure on those wheels weight either but I do know they run 195-65-15 which is a smaller width tire but more rubber with the side wall making some tires heavier. But Im Sure someone has info to a great light weight tire in that size and or the wheel weight for the 15 inch lyon wheels. The 195/65/15 is the same overall diameter as the 205/55/16 so it wouldn’t affect the speedo or mileage calculations. I know some People go super tall in tires like 70-75 tall 15s or 60-65 16s but the added weight I feel is a loss in mpg but just gained back in overall diameter. Too sum up my questions

Does anyone know the weight of a 16 inch navarra vw wheel?

Does anyone have good suggestions for light weight and quiet 205/5516 tires with weights of each suggested tire?

Does anyone have the weight of the 15 inch Lyon wheels?

Does anyone have suggestions for good light weight and quiet 195-65-15 tires with weights of each suggestion?

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
I cannot help you with specific wheels or tires but the Tirerack website is a great place to start. You just plug in your vehicle info and they list many different aftermarket wheels with verified fitment. My favorite feature is they allow you to sort the wheels by weight, from lightest to heaviest. They also include in the tire specs how much each tire weighs.