Looking for input on how to deal with broken GP on an OM648

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Recently picked up an 2005 MB E320 CDI. Shady dealer said he'd replaced all six glow plugs. Still had a Check Engine light on for a bad #2 GP circuit. When I finally got around to checking things out I discovered this (GP was just sitting in the hole):

Here's what the hole looks like:

Yes, a monkey with a wrench!

I've got some taps coming and will see how the threads clean up. I might look to drive it around to see if I can blow out the tip (been soaking it; will cover with something to keep the, hopefully, future projectile from going through the hood!). I'm considering a high-end extraction kit (used by MB shops), and while it's insanely expensive -$1,200, it's still cheap when one considers the alternative (I know someone with a VW TDI that has a broken GP and I'd look to do that one- it's in far better shape than this; and who knows whether I might run into another broken GP). My biggest concern is that seat.

The seller (dealer selling for the owner, a prototypical "used car dealer") won't provide any info. He'd told me that he'd been an MB tech for something like 34 years. Also said that he was the only one who touched this car post warranty (he knew the car's owner [I bought from that person- original and only owner up to me]). So, this guy was the monkey with the wrench. Anyway...

Do I have a shot at making this whole again? If so, would appreciate input on how.

I've posted this on MBWorld.org and have had no feedback. Came here because I know that there's far more knowledgeable diesel heads here than there: and I trust folks here.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
You should post up on Peach Parts (Pelican Parts) in the diesel section OR in the W211 forum on Benzworld. The latter will probably not provide you with much, there aren't a lot of CDI owners on BW, but the Peach Parts forum has a lot of long term diesel owners that might have some insight.

Good luck, at least you're working on the OM648, that's the most desirable diesel they've had in a couple decades, what came after has been problematic.

Steve

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Man…..shady isn’t the word for that….
I would drop Franko6 a line…..who knows he may have a suggestion or two…..

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Yikes! I've seen stuff like that before. We do glow plug extractions at our shop. We did one on a Ram promaster that the dealer said needed a new engine because you can't replace the glow plugs. That was a fun one, but we got it done. I dont recall which kit we have, I believe it is either snap-on or Matco, but works well. Slow and steady is the game on any of those though.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Was in contact with Frank and he says that the head is toast, that the ONLY options are: 1) Replace head; or 2) Drill and tap with oversize and stuff a bolt/cap in the new threads (and make peace with living with the Check Engine light staying on).

Because I don't like hack jobs, so, as noted I was lucky to have bought an insurance policy in the form a complete parts car (with excellent running engine), I'll be swapping out this engine.

Folks are asking $2k for just a shortblock for the om648. I'd figured this engine was worth an easy $4k sans GP screw-up. Replacement heads are an easy $1k (and then one would have to have it gone through).

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh yeah, Steve, thanks for the reminder about Peach Parts. I'd run across a lot of stuff from there when doing Internet searches. I'm subscribed to far too many forums but decided to subscribe to that one (still awaiting moderator approval). I've been really spoiled by TDI Club forums, the incredible depth of information and help; without a doubt it/this is the greatest car forum site in existence!

BTW - I will own an ALH TDI until I die (my Golf is and will always be my favorite car).

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
BTW - In case no one has seen one of these engines (this is my replacement engine- still need to do more cleaning and prep work, not to mention pulling the engine+trans out of my keeper car!):

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yup! Have a kit on order (due Friday, I think). The original engine was horribly inflicted with Black Death: and the dealer said it was in "Excellent "condition;" I told him that the car was neglected (he was supposedly the only one working on it- I am pretty sure he cleaned up the BD; only guessing that he either did all the GP damage or added to the carnage by trying to cover it up). The replacement engine is super clean and shows no signs of being neglected: and it will never be neglected under my care (thanks to my training from everyone here on doing things right!).

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Was in contact with Frank and he says that the head is toast, that the ONLY options are: 1) Replace head; or 2) Drill and tap with oversize and stuff a bolt/cap in the new threads (and make peace with living with the Check Engine light staying on).

Because I don't like hack jobs, so, as noted I was lucky to have bought an insurance policy in the form a complete parts car (with excellent running engine), I'll be swapping out this engine.

Folks are asking $2k for just a shortblock for the om648. I'd figured this engine was worth an easy $4k sans GP screw-up. Replacement heads are an easy $1k (and then one would have to have it gone through).
Casual glance at car parts says there's a head at Intercity Auto in Bedford Ohio $695.... For Pacific says there a cylinder head $150 at Max Auto Salvage, Arroyo Grande CA. I bet the latter is gone already though....

I can't say the head is shot or not, but Frank would probably know for sure.

They might be gone, CP is very bad about updating their listings..

Steve

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Steve, if the guy* who is interested in this engine doesn't get it I might look to pick up a head and make this thing whole again. Right now, however, I've got a huge project to swap engines+trans (as well as lots of restoration work- underbody and suspension stuff).

* I send him email with a link to an engine which a spun rod bearing (or so thought) and stated to have a good head. Told him that he might consider picking it up: head for my engine or look to rebuild that engine. Price, less shipping, was less than the cheapest head I've seen.