Looking for information: BHW Swap in to a 1983 CJ7

DieselZombie

TDI
2.0 BHW
Hey everyone. I have been doing a lot of reading about swaps and figured I would go for it. I have a 2005 Passat with a 2.0 BHW and I am looking to set it up in my 83 CJ7 that is currently in a ground up rebuild. I am inquiring as to what parts I need from the Passat to make this thing work. Here is a list of what I think I have already read from other posts:
Engine
ECM
Engine Wiring Harness with relay and fuse box
Dash Cluster and associated wiring harness
Stick for cruise control and associated wiring harness
Inter Cooler
Turbo
Fuel Pick-up out of tank with sending unit and wiring harness
Accelerator Pedal and associated wiring harness
Brake and Clutch switches and associated wiring harness.

If I am missing anything else a shout out would be apprechated.

Thanks!!

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Not sure how much space there is for the intercooler, but an idea I had on my vw rabbit truck I'm converting to TDI is to use the air to water intercooler from a nms Passat (or Jetta?) with the CRKA engine. Advantage of that is that it's fairly compact and doesn't need air flow to it, so it could be put anywhere. And they can be had for less than $100 at many junkyards.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Pull the entire wiring harness out without cutting. Only cut what you know you won't need after starting to splice it into the cj harness and talking to the tuner

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
I've only done three TDI swaps, 2 jeeps and a Ranger. The only inputs I used from the original vehicle were an ignition signal and a start signal but I'm not using cruise control which would need the brake and clutch switches. Otherwise the TDI system was "stand alone" from the Vehicles systems and all three were the BEW engines. I installed the sensors from the Jeeps/Ranger for oil pressure and water temp into the TDI and ran those through the original vehicle systems (ECU's). The TDI harness can be stripped down to very little once you know what sensors you are deleting. I ended up with just O2, MAP and throttle pedal other than what is on the actual engine like cam and crank sensors. On the XJ I mounted my intercooler below the rad where it had very little natural air flow but installed a temp sensor in the turbo outlet pipe to turn on a fan mounted on the IC if the temp gets over 120F but it seldom comes on.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey @evguy1 i keep seeing 4cyl 5 speed 4x4 exteras going up for cheap. Do you make any adapters that fit a 4cyl nissan? A frontier 4dr 4x4 would also be sweet but I think most 4x4s were the v6(4 door anyway)

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Yes we make a 4 cylinder Nissan and the V6 is under way. The adapter line is expanding every few months now. I sold the business to the machine shop that has always been building my adapters a few months ago. They are greatly expanding the choice of engines as well as recipient vehicles.

DieselZombie

TDI
2.0 BHW
Great information. Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the it will be a stand alone wiring harness and ECU for the engine as the CJ7 has no ECU just a fuse block and lots of wires. Its pretty basic, it had the computer controlled carb but it never ran right so It all got removed and replaced with the Webber manual carb aftermarket update. Much better system. So it sounds like it will pretty much be a stand alone ECU for the engine and starting system, I am still debating adding the cruise control. Evguy1 where is did you get your ECU tuned? I'll be stripping down the Passat this coming week and then over the winter stripping the CJ7 down to bare metal and doing a full restore. Also how much HP and TQ can I get with the stock BHW before I have to spend big bucks?

Last edited:

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
I used to run dual progressive Webber's on my Datsun 510 race car, great carbs but eventually went to dual Webber side drafts.
I used Malone for all my tunes, Mark has been very good at figuring out all the things us swappers need to delete. Here is a link to the 2L page. https://tunezilla.com/catalog/VW/2005/Passat/2.0L-BHW-PD-TDI/Stage-1
Looks like 175 HP and 300 tq (stage 2) is very easy with no other engine upgrades.
What are you running for tire size and diff gearing?
What trans are you using?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
175hp 300ft lbs torque stage 2 tune is what I run on my daily driver bhw passat. Very impressive motor.

She's happy crusing at 70mph @3000 rpms so gearing will be a little less picky than the ever popular 4bt swaps people like so much. The cj7 might not be fun at 70 mph depending.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
And 400 lbs lighter than the 4BT.
I find the TDI likes to run 2000-2500 RPM all day long and I buzz it to 3000 to shift.

DieselZombie

TDI
2.0 BHW
Evguy1 I believe they are still the stock 2.71 geared axles though the rear AMC 20 has been upgraded to the single solid shafts. It has the Dana 300 transfer case that will be getting the 4:1 ratio installed during the rebuild. It currently has the T5 non-world class transmission. 3 inch lift on 31 inch tires right now.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Wow gearing kinda sucks. I went from 3.73 to 4.10 in my XJ with 32's and it made a huge difference to low end power and still lots of top end with the AX15 in 5th. The heavy weight (45lb) flywheel also helps smoothen out the TDI and give a bit more grunt at low RPM.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I've run a .27 overdrive on 3.73 gear/31 inch tires and then a .41 overdrive. 4.11 on 33 inch tires. Both on a 4bd1/2t engine. They are similar in revs to a 4bd. Those set ups became a chore over time because I was always out of the power band accelerating in city traffic. Mine were all daily drivers. I suspect the tdi would move you but once the thrill of the swap wore off she would be less than ideal. Luckily the tdi is peppy compared to many other diesels so the wider usable power band might mask it a bit.

That ax15 4:11 would be nice with a tdi on 32/33s with an upgraded transfer case for extra low 4l when you hit the trials.. The heavier the flywheel you can run the better on these inline diesels.

Don't forget to delete your balance shaft if you have not looked into it.

I run the DVZ v6 transmission on my 5 speed converted passat. I don't usually take it on road trips but I've been to the beach and back a few times with it. At 3200 rpms im still getting 40 mpg at 75. I just dont have gearin to hit 90 So I don't travel to Atlanta or Charlotte where 70mph speed limits are interpreted as 90mph

Having driven an fj40 daily for years on a 4 inch lift and 33 inch tires, even with all new steering and suspension components and disk brake conversion, I didn't want to do 75. You don't swerve a swb at that speed unless you want to flip lol.

Last edited:

DieselZombie

TDI
2.0 BHW
What gearing with 35 inch tires do you think would keep it in a good 1900-2200 RPM while on the Highway. I am looking to switch out the diffs with some 44s and possibly the mechanical OX Lockers just to keep everything mechanical on this rig. (All the accessories are pull and push cable or rod actuated on the dash) I am only keeping the T5 until it self destructs then I will be looking in to a stronger transmission. Evguy1 I was looking in to your adapter kit, fluid mounts with the universal mounting brackets, and that nice shinny flywheel, I like to shop Canadian when I can.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
How fast are you talking on the highway? Be sure the current trans and potential future trans have the same bellhousing so you don't need a new adapter when you upgrade.
I'm a big fan of the AX15 and think its the best swap trans out there.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
With 35s id go 4.88. My peak torque is 1900 to about 2400. She's a beast in that range but cruises just fine above it comfortably with power to spare. 4.10s on the trail with 33s cause me to go into 4l when i should be in 4h. Don't sacrifice the off road ability to run highway speeds that you won't be hitting(safely) in an old leaf spring, top heavy swb vehicle that was derived from an off road capable 4x4 go anywhere low speed design. 35s on highway gears are for mall cruisers.

DieselZombie

TDI
2.0 BHW
Cruising speed up here on Northern Ontario highways is 100Kph or 62Mph. If I am lucky and there is no hills or corners sometimes I can get to 110kph or 68Mph. I might venture through MN or MI once a year so I could potential reach speeds of 120kph or 75mph. Were all dirt roads and bush with 1 Highway East and West and 1 Highway to MN USA. I spend most of my time driving to and from work and on the trails looking for the next fishing hole.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
You won't have any issues keeping the speed limit with the BHW.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
A BHW passat with euro spec swapped 5 speed transmission will run about 2200 to 2300 rpms at 68 mph.

I just don't like tires bigger than 33s on 3.73 or 4.10 gears on a manual gear box. I feel I ride the clutch too much to get going. On an automatic 35s on 410s isn't that noticeable until you start towing or go off road/hit hills/etc. The bhw doesn't wake up til 1900 rpms.

Luckily your cj and the bhw are light so it may not be so bad.

DieselZombie

TDI
2.0 BHW
Ill tell you what guys, what a pain in the ass to remove this BHW from the Passat. I wish I owned a hoist so I could have just dropped it out the bottom. I have never removed so many parts from an engine to remove it. lol

iwannajettatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Brilliant Black Audi Q5 3.0TDI, 2014 Tempest Blue metallic Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2002 Blue Eurovan Weekender BHW TDI
My wife sure was excited when the Passat shell got moved out of the driveway. I pulled and depinned as much as possible, but it's been quite a bit of time since I did it and I've had a long process going through all the wiring diagrams to make things work right while pruning it down. I may be a little too much of a perfectionist though. Who knows.

If you're able to keep the stock exhaust manifold and parts, and you don't need the AC compressor in your Jeep, there are plenty of options out there to convert the Sanden AC compressor into an air compressor. You'll need to grease convert it or put an inline oil filter/collector so that it stays lubed, but it would be a cool upgrade since the belts and stuff is already there.

DieselZombie

TDI
2.0 BHW
The jeep does not have AC nor will I be installing it. I am curios about the AC in to an air compressor, I am going to look in to this and make all my Jeep buddies jealous. Thanks for the information iwannajettatdi.

DieselZombie

TDI
2.0 BHW
Hey guys I knows its been awhile but between work and kids but I finally got the BHW out and all the wiring and computer from under the hood. My question is beside the accelerator petal and wiring harness what else from under the dash wiring wise do I need?