Looking for help with 000175/P00AF code

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
Hi all looking for help with what VCDS diagnostics reads with respect to the code thrown.

I have spent way too much unproductive time reading different fourms etc trying to understand what is what. I am old and not so tech savy especially when stressed. Anyone willing to "hold my hand" and help me get to fixing the problem?

TIA

Bob

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I had a P00AF code and it is related to turbo boost error.
My problem was with the servo control to the turbocharger and I bought the boost controller and replaced it (with some difficulty as I remember).
Here is a thread on the issue:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=396261&highlight=P00af

Search is your friend and if you look under advanced for posts by Oilhammer you will get good information.

This may give you the search results I got:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/search.php?searchid=19569009

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
If the actuator is bad there is no solution other than replacing the controller.
You can use VCDS to test the actuator.
I had to replace one on my 2009 TDI JSW, but luckily they had decided to sell the actuator separately from the entire turbo.
It is hard to change the turbo because the actuator shaft is hard to get to.
I wrote a little section sometime ago on how to change the actuator from the top with a cutoff welded 10 mm wrench and a lot of cursing.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
As an alternative, Kermatdi tunes can fix this flaw in the factory programming so that you don't need to replace the turbo or actuator.
I replaced my actuator. Vacuum leak with the diaphragm.

How would of a Kerma tune been better or an alternative? Does it have full boost all the time or not boost? Or a half open position? How does it enable function with a ruptured hole in diaphragm?

I'm curious. Thanks.

Last edited:

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
My actuator also had a diaphragm leak, necessitating the change.
At least the VW had decided to sell the unit without having to buy the whole turbo system.
I was able to replace the actuator from the top, not an easy task, but doable with some modified tools.
Saves a lot of money vs replacing the turbo or R & R to get to the nut on the actuator shaft.

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
A few weeks ago I experience a reduce power and flashing glow plug on the 2009 Jetta (mileage 247,724). I scan the vehicle and had the P00AF.

Following the Ross -Tech guide I determined that it had a bad actuator. It would not hold vacuum.

I priced the part and it was $316. I am mechanically able, so was reading up on the procedure to prepare for the job. Then I remember, I had the emission fix, so I looked up the paper work and according to the warranty the turbo and the associated parts were covered.
So, I called the dealer and scheduled an appointment.

Dropped the car off and today they called saying the car was fixed. So I drove to dealer, which was 2 hrs away and picked up the car at no charge. Warranty covered the repair.

They replaced the boost control actuator part# 03L-198-716-L and the valve cover gasket part # 03L-103-483.

Drove it back home and it ran great... Thanks VW for the extended warranty

ironman86

TDI
2014 jetta tdi sedan
If you have a vacuum tester handheld take the little hose that runs between the actuator which sits on top of the turbo and the boost control sensor which is mounted on the firewall pull the hose off of the sensor attach your hand vacuum and start pumping the little pole coming off the bottom of the actuator/wastegate should begin to extend out of actuator housing With each pump Reaching the stock not below around 18 pounds of vacuum and should stay at whatever position it’s in when you stop pumping if it loses vacuum pressure and Paul retracts on the phone do you have a hole in your diaphragm on the actuator and it’s bad if it holds vacuum actuator is good. #2 unplug your vacuum plug hose back in the sensor unplug hose from actuator repeat vacuum test on sensor not sure about pressure or vacuum amount it’ll hold but same principle give it a couple parts a few pounds vacuum it should hold vacuum if it doesn’t hold vacuum it’s faulty sensor. If both hold vacuum Then start looking at wire connections and tracing wires looking for shorts exposed or corroded wires it’s only about 2 feet and 4 wires you’re gonna have to trace If I’m remaining correctly. Hope this helps