Looking for front seat upholstery kit

mhintlian

TDI
03 Golf GLS
Looking to replace the upholstery on front seats. Do not want seat covers. I have seen the articles and videos on line of removing the upholstery to wash. So I'm thinking there must be a vendor other than my local auto upholstery place to get replacement seat upholstery kits? Have looked online to all the various places without success.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
it's usually much easier just to swap the seats.

I've played with the covers on those cars - the bottom cover comes off fairly easily, but the backrest cover is a pain

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
Yeah, cheapest and easiest route, as Yatzee said, is to actually find a whole set of seats at the wrecker or the forums in good shape (usually for $500 or less, unless you are going Recaros, which would be up to $1k, or euro leather Recaros or R32 $1k-$2k). But with the age of our cars, it is getting harder to find good condition seats around.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
If yours are grey and you're considering replacing the seats instead of recovering them as has been suggested, PM me...

Brokk

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 GLS TDI JETTA
The Leather on my driver seat is wearing on the seam that faces out of the car also. Maybe a recovery shop can repair it before it gets to bad?

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
The Leather on my driver seat is wearing on the seam that faces out of the car also. Maybe a recovery shop can repair it before it gets to bad?
I hear many are wary of taking the seat cover off because of the airbag, but if you do the work of removing and installing yourself, I don't think its an issue.

minis2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 beetle w/DSG, 2015 Jetta TDI w/DSG
I was thinking of trying is company http://www.katzkin.com/
Saw their products on truck-u and cars

But now I am looking in to a local shop or see if I can find a set of good seats on craigslist

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
My drivers seat is pretty knackered, the bolster is all falling apart. I'm going to get a passenger seat and use the cushions from it then get an upholsterer to repair the bolster material. Should be a fairly cheap way of having a seat in good condition.

In my experience it's the drivers seat that wears out.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Keep in mind that seat bottoms are interchangeable between passenger and drivers seat. It isn't hard to switch them out, and probably good to do occasionally to keep wear even.