Looking for clutch recommendations

Banksy

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Does anyone have any recommendations for a clutch to go with? I keep hearing south bend stage 2 is a go to for most of the people i talk to.

It looks really expensive. 600+ for a clutch seems excessive to me.

I really just want something that's going to last a long time, not give me any issues and me close to stock and comfortable to shift.

I remember I had a accord with a stage 3 on it and absolutely hated it to death. perhaps a stage 2 is different, I really don't know.

I believe my current clutch is stock.

I don't plan to do really any serious mods. Mostly what I'm looking for is fuel economy out of this vehicle and it to be a comfortable daily driver.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
My stage 2 daily feels extremely light on the pedal. If you can't push that in not sure what else to say, it feels lighter than the OEM that came out.

Not sure about your mentality, but I only like to do things once. I'd rather pay for quality 1 time then purchase a cheaper component only to have to do it again.

Many people have good luck with Luk though. A forum search will yield you all the results and threads about clutches you can handle.

Banksy

Veteran Member
TDI
None
My stage 2 daily feels extremely light on the pedal. If you can't push that in not sure what else to say, it feels lighter than the OEM that came out.

Not sure about your mentality, but I only like to do things once. I'd rather pay for quality 1 time then purchase a cheaper component only to have to do it again.

Many people have good luck with Luk though. A forum search will yield you all the results and threads about clutches you can handle.
Where should I buy it from? What should I expect to pay?

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Go for the SBC stage 2 Daily and never look back. My Endurance, bought used, and now with ~60k of heavy modding and
a lot of towing is still the same as when it went in. I'll wear out the clutch fork or bearing before the disk wears out.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
I have a Luk 050 with a Kerma tune. No other mods. It shifts fine, engages nicely, smooth and quiet but at full power 1800 - 2400 it judders. Perhaps it’s the flywheel, since I hardly ever use full power at low revs it’s not a big problem for me but…

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
The Luk is inexpensive and, for a non-modded or lightly-modded car its very hard to beat it. Everything that can hold more torque (e.g. Stage 2) will cost a LOT more.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Well there's one sitting on my shelf at the moment.... if/when I need a clutch guess what's going in the car? Yep.

Banksy

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Well there's one sitting on my shelf at the moment.... if/when I need a clutch guess what's going in the car? Yep.

Does it come with a flywheel? Why do some of these come with one and some don't? Is that inexpensive if the reasons the south bends are so expensive?

I mean my issue is this. I don't mind spending the money its just I don't know how long I'll have this car.

If you're telling me that a luk isn't going to give me any issues and is priced well then that sounds about what I'm looking for

I just want it to be the same or better than my stock clutch with no slipping or stuff thats going to drive me crazy.

I highly doubt that I'll do anything serious on this car.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
stage 2 endurance with lighter flywheel.
felt the same to me, Only difference was that i could actually stall it out now vs just letting the clutch out. Clutches more like a gas car but IMO i had better rev up times between shifts.
buy once cry once

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Does anyone have any recommendations for a clutch to go with? I keep hearing south bend stage 2 is a go to for most of the people i talk to.

It looks really expensive. 600+ for a clutch seems excessive to me.

I really just want something that's going to last a long time, not give me any issues and me close to stock and comfortable to shift.

I remember I had a accord with a stage 3 on it and absolutely hated it to death. perhaps a stage 2 is different, I really don't know.

I believe my current clutch is stock.

I don't plan to do really any serious mods. Mostly what I'm looking for is fuel economy out of this vehicle and it to be a comfortable daily driver.

I've got the Luk Repset on mine. I have larger injectors, upgraded turbo, and a stage 1 tune. It holds just fine, feels comfortable, and was very inexpensive.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
South bend stage two daily in my TDI, and I love it.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
I would also vote for the South Bend Stage 2 Daily. A good vendor would be idparts.com or Cascade German.

Banksy

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I would also vote for the South Bend Stage 2 Daily. A good vendor would be idparts.com or Cascade German.

Do you need the flywheel? Some kits come with it and some don't

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Do you need the flywheel? Some kits come with it and some don't
For $80 you can bring it to any machine shop and have it turned same day in like an hour. But a resurface is mandatory.
Scuffing it like you would a brake disk will NOT do the job.
Might be able to find a turning job cheaper!
Not all flywheels will work with some performance clutches and vice versa. But I dont know those specifics.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
I recommended those two places because they pair the clutch with different flywheel options depending on your engine, including TDI's. So, yes, I would recommend ordering the flywheel at the same time. If your car still has its original clutch, it won't have a single mass flywheel. It will have a dual mass flywheel. I'd recommend reading up on both, but the short version is an SMF is a simpler design and usually cheaper and more reliable, but with a potential minor trade-off of increased noise.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Given that you are remaining at stock power levels, a Sachs or Luk kit should be fine. $340 for the "complete" Luk kit including DMF at IDParts. Many OE (which Luk and Sachs are) clutches last over 200K miles. Mine's at 223k, and it works perfectly (knock on wood).

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
For what you list for modification to power output, a VR6 clutch and SMF should do quite well. Sachs not the others due to the higher torque rating. I have one just installed and it is lighter than the original in my '04( the '02ALH got the VR6 clutch ). I had originally got it for the BEW, but turned up a car that needed a clutch first... :) I like it better than the BEW's oe rig...and will buy another. They're a hair over $300 from IDP.
cheers,
Douglas

Banksy

Veteran Member
TDI
None
For what you list for modification to power output, a VR6 clutch and SMF should do quite well. Sachs not the others due to the higher torque rating. I have one just installed and it is lighter than the original in my '04( the '02ALH got the VR6 clutch ). I had originally got it for the BEW, but turned up a car that needed a clutch first... :) I like it better than the BEW's oe rig...and will buy another. They're a hair over $300 from IDP.
cheers,
Douglas

I'm getting confused here. A VR6 clutch? Like for the VR6 engine?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Yeah I’m running the VR6 SMF clutch set up on my DD….. been in there for over 320,xxx miles , taught three kids to drive a stick with it and running a stage 3 tune with sprint 520’s……currently at 447,xxx miles on car.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
LuK RepSet 17-050 can't be beat on price and dependability. Tuned BEW, years running this clutch/DMF

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I just did the Luk 17-050 in my Golf (what came out of it). Cheap and works fine. Mild modded, I tow with it. I think they are fine up to a point. Downside of the DMFs was always the crazy price in conjunction to their fragile nature. But they have improved them over the years, and the price is much, much lower now.

I've also installed a LOT of SMF conversions, both Sachs and Valeo, and they work OK with a mild tune as well, even in the heavier A5 with the BRM.

I think the DMF has a nicer "feel" to it, smoother and more linear engagement. No rattle at idle, although I've never once had anyone complain about that on all the conversions I have installed.

My other Golf still has the Valeo conversion in it. It works fine too, but going between the two I like the feel of the Luk DMF better. Time will tell on the durability, but I know how to drive so it will likely last a good long while.

dmcdow

TDI
2001 Jetta
I've got about 20k on my Valeo SFM conversion. There's no shudder and feels solid. Stock '01 Jetta.

Banksy

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I just did the Luk 17-050 in my Golf (what came out of it). Cheap and works fine. Mild modded, I tow with it. I think they are fine up to a point. Downside of the DMFs was always the crazy price in conjunction to their fragile nature. But they have improved them over the years, and the price is much, much lower now.

I've also installed a LOT of SMF conversions, both Sachs and Valeo, and they work OK with a mild tune as well, even in the heavier A5 with the BRM.

I think the DMF has a nicer "feel" to it, smoother and more linear engagement. No rattle at idle, although I've never once had anyone complain about that on all the conversions I have installed.

My other Golf still has the Valeo conversion in it. It works fine too, but going between the two I like the feel of the Luk DMF better. Time will tell on the durability, but I know how to drive so it will likely last a good long while.

Would all these kits come with a DMF?

I'm looking at this one and honestly.. I really like the way a DMF shifts.

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Would all these kits come with a DMF?

I'm looking at this one and honestly.. I really like the way a DMF shifts.

I’ve got a Sachs OEM DMF only 5K mikes in it
I’ll sell it cheap plus shipping

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I think @PakProtector meant to say a VR6 flywheel.
Nope, it is a VR6 clutch. The VR6 flywheels are different somehow...G60 smf, and the VR6 pressure plate and disc. 300 ft-lb if it is a Sachs( and it is ).
cheers,
Douglas

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The Luk 17-050 kit comes assembled, complete. You just bolt it to the crank. You'll have to clip the new release bearing to the release lever, and I would recommend a new release lever and pivot pin. They can be worn, and they are cheap and easy to replace.... you do not want to take the transmission out again in 10k miles because the pivot wore through.