Looking for after market hitch for 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen (Canada) TDI, having difficulty being certain

Wintermute

TDI
2010 Volkswagen Golf Sportwagen TDI
I've been looking for an after market hitch for my 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen (Canada), and I've checked Curt, eTrailer, Draw Tite and Hitch Warehouse, but each one has left me with uncertainty that it'll actually fit.

For example, I was fairly confident that the Curt part # 11474 would be a good fit (including the bright green "This product fits your vehicle" banner at the top), but as I scroll through the listing, under "Compatible Vehicles", I see this:

2010VolkswagenGolfWagon (Canada Only), Excluding Diesel

Now, in all fairness, Curt didn't ask what kind of fuel my VW takes, but I have no idea how the fuel type would mess with the back end to the point that this hitch won't fit?

Can anyone who has a 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen (Canada) or 2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen (USA) please tell me what hitch they bought, so I can have confidence it'll fit?

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Fuel type would only affect the muffler placement at the back, which could, maybe, make installation a bit more difficult.

But that Curt does fit the Jetta sportwagen. When that product was first rolled out, they said it fit all gas & diesels, then somewhere along the line they decided it didn't. They must've had a couple complaints and returns from unskilled customers.

Wintermute

TDI
Excellent! Although the TDIClub site says I'm a new member, I've lurked for some time and I've come to rely on the helpful and knowledgeable input from forum members. This gives me the confidence I need to make the purchase and do the installation, and not get choked up if the muffler seems in the way.

Thank you so much!

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I would personally look up the EcoHitch. I was looking at this for my wagon and it had great reviews. Its hidden enough to where it doesnt really look like you have a hitch but holds up like the others.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
I’ve got the Curt. Installed it 10 years ago and IIRC a minor cut to a plastic panel is required. I think it was one of the black panels in front of the bumper. Two panels have to come off to get to the attachment points and one has to be modified to go back, or something like that. Unless I’m confusing it with another car.

DexterTDI

TDI
JSW 2010 TDI 6MT
I installed the EcoHitch on my 2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen. It has a 2" receiver, others are smaller. The design is different than others. It is partially hidden and does not hang down as low.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
I went with the cheapest curt 1 1/4 from etrailer which has mostly been fine for my needs. In retrospect, I'd go with a 2" from ecohitch for the additional flexibility.

One interesting thing about etrailer was that practically every time I got on their site it was a different price and/or discounts. I just kept going back until the best price popped back up again. The was several years ago so may not still be like that.

Wintermute

TDI
I’ve got the Curt. Installed it 10 years ago and IIRC a minor cut to a plastic panel is required. I think it was one of the black panels in front of the bumper. Two panels have to come off to get to the attachment points and one has to be modified to go back, or something like that. Unless I’m confusing it with another car.
That does sound a lot like what I've read. I've bought one through Amzn, it'll be here by Thursday. Thank you all!

Wintermute

TDI
I went with the cheapest curt 1 1/4 from etrailer which has mostly been fine for my needs. In retrospect, I'd go with a 2" from ecohitch for the additional flexibility.

One interesting thing about etrailer was that practically every time I got on their site it was a different price and/or discounts. I just kept going back until the best price popped back up again. The was several years ago so may not still be like that.
The price was what drove me from it - the closest match I could find to the one that would fit my SportWagen was more than 3x the price. Now, if I knew the price fluctuated, maybe I'd have the patience, but I was going into it considering the Curt and Ecohitch were pretty much equivalent, except the Ecohitch is installed behind the bumper, with less profile and no change to clearance.

I'm willing to accept that the Curt modifies the back clearance a little (I'm already conscious that my vehicle has less clearance that most vehicles), so this wasn't a big negative for me.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
I'm not sure why etrailer doesn't seem to show the curt anymore, at least in a quick search I did, maybe curt discontinued that model that fit.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
The link I posted above is for the for the Tdi
Weird. When I googled it separately it took me to the "non-tdi" one. It looked different from this one, with an extra leg on the right end that bolted inside the frame a few inches in. Tried to google it again, and can only find Tdi models. Damn A.I. is messing with me.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Wonder if its a 15 that its showing for Not a TDI cause of the adblue tank or something stupid. I would think the ones without would be all the same. Nothing really different about them.