Looking for a Transmission Shop - HELP!

npage34

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
Hello All,

(Relatively) new TDI owner here. Purchased a 2004 Jetta TDI Wagon for $1,200 at the auction a while back. I've had to put some $$ into it:

• Intercooler
  • Intake Hose
  • Fluids, Filters
  • Timing Belt

And there are a few more things outstanding:

• Driver's Window Switch (One Nob Broken)
  • Seat Warmers (DS Burned through in 2 places, PS Doesn't Work)
  • RR Door Lock is Manual Only Atm

But overall I'm pretty happy with the purchase - Still a lot less than what they're going for over here in YVR.

My only last (Major) issue is I have the dreaded Solenoid issue (it only shifts from 2-3 after warming up). I've had it diagnosed at a transmission shop, unfortunately he was extremely pushy and refused to do any more than one solenoid. He was really pushing for me to replace the whole valve body because it was easier for him, and when he found out about the intercooler demanded I do everything or nothing at his shop.

So I did nothing, took it to Duane's Autohaus (FANTASTIC Guy btw - Highly Recommend) as I had planned for the intercooler, and got that sorted. Nevertheless, I still have the Solenoid issue.

Is there anyone that can recommend either a shop, or backyard mechanic, who would be willing to do the Solenoid kit for me? I know they're only ~$300 on RockAuto for the full kit and wiring harness, and being a very poor student going on my 8th year of schooling, I really can't afford $2k for a valve body. More than happy to pay for Shop Time and then some.

Help? Thanks guys!

npage34

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
P.S. I'm more than happy to drive down to Seattle/Portland, up to Kamloops, or ferry over to Victoria if need be. Currently in the YVR area, but this things great once warm!

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Thanks! :)

Just wondering if there's any other suggestions or specific Transmission gurus around?

I found these here

British Columbia

Andes Auto Service
Unit # 8-12880 Bathgate Way Richmond B.C.
(604) 270-1318

VW Petrolero
Vancouver BC
http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=10364

JS Performance #5 -
30508 Great Northern Ave
Abbotsford, BC, Canada V2T 6H4
(877) 557-7900
www.jsperformance.ca

Kevin@Europro Autohaus
1292 Morrison Rd
Kelowna, BC
Phone: 250-870-8339
(250) 765-3699

Duane's German Autohaus
105-19640 Landmark Way
Langley, BC V3A 7Z5
(604) 533-4502

If none of them can do it, they should be able to suggest someone

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
Eurowerk sadly had nothing

Euro will NOT install a solenoid kit (to my knowledge) they will only install an entire brand new valve body, this is the only way in their opinion to fix the shifting issues

they will install a factory new VW valve body only, no rebuilds or remans, I recall the cost was around $2000

The solenoid kits can be unreliable, as the bores can wear

Talk to Matt, he is the mechanic