Looking for a Jetta Wagon

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JSW(sold 2011) , 2009 JSW RIP 1-5-2013, 2011 JSW
We just had worst car buying experince tonight, they so rude with us. Is this common thing with VW? The stealership was 20 miles south of St Paul Mn.

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
They accused us of that we didn't have our numbers right and that our invocie numbers were too low, the fact that I have friend who works at VW credit HQ in Il and she told us what they paid for the car. Basically they were telling us that we were lying to them. The other thing that piss us off was they were saying that their was not another car like this in the midwest and our reseach told us that 4 are in the area, 2MN and 2 IL. They kept telling us that TDIs wagons are rare and I know that the wagons are in great supply in midwest and the east coast. I can't belived what sales poeple they over there.

u4ea

Veteran Member
Tango, Your buying experience is not uncommon. Here is the short list of what has happened to me.

"I am working a deal with another customer on this car." Ya right...

I have the only one in a 1000 mile radius...Ya right.

I thank the members of this forum for sending me info on 3 cars. I have also called around a lot and found others. I will try dealing with the fleet manager or what ever from this point. But the laziness, lying (BS'ing) is really turning us off. I guess because it is so obvious. VW really needs to look at how they sell cars. They need to..

Be willing to look for a car
Be willing to order cars
Be willing to professionally sell/advise versus take orders
Know what they have coming in

It has really been a bad experience for us. One dealer out of 10 has been satisfactory for us. The rest have nasty attitudes and act as if their car is the only one and thousands are in line to buy it.

Finally, someone offered to snap a pic for me. I would love a pic of the sticker on a TDI GLS loaded wagon. I have seen the car many times but thank you for offering.

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi u4ea

The car your looking at has MSRP of $23575. Candy white, automatic, tan leather with CWP and Moonsoon system. This was the car we were looking at and try to buy last night. PM for more details.

hip

TDI
2001 GT 4.0 Road Bike
About a month ago or so I went to a couple stealerships in the area looking at Jetta TDI wagons. The new place in town didn't have any in stock, but were willing to get in touch with another dealer in the state to see if they could work a trade. I commented to the sales guy that everyone in the dealership was young (20's). He said that it was a new dealership and guys his age were fed up with the traditional hihg pressure sales methods that they were trying to change that image with a low key approach. They were pretty laid back, that's fer sure, dude. I went back to the dealership about 3-4 days later to drive a TDI sedan. I walked in and all the sales kids were sitting around BS-ing. The guy I had talked to about 84 hours earlier asked if I needed help. I told him that we had spoken a couple of days ago and that I was here for a test drive. He didn't recogninze me and suggested that I had spoken to one of the other guys. I said no it was you and said his last name. He got real flustered and jumped up and took me to his desk where he found my file. It was priceless to see him get a dig in front of all his buddies. I drove a sedan, loved it and told him I needed a couple of weeks to refi, etc. He told me he's look for a wagon in the area and keep in touch with me. He's never called back to see if I'm still interested and/or to let me know whether or not he located a local wagon.
The other, more established dealership I went to a few towns over was just this side of rude to me when the salesman found out I wasn't going to be buying for at least a couple of weeks. "Come back when you're ready to buy" he told me as he ran off to do something more important.
Never heard back from him either and they both took my name and number...well, I think I've found my car thru this forum, so it doesn't look like I'll be needing them for sales. I'm hoping I don't need them too much for service...

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I feel for you guys to an extent, but I would disagree that it is common to be treated so poorly. It is, however, common to find people on boards like this with bad experiences being vocal about it. You'll find that on any car board and it is not just Volkswagen.

There are many ways to buy a car. Others have posted here some helpful suggestions. The best advice I can give anyone is to be flexible and find a dealer who will work with you and not give you crap. If you must have a specific car down to every option, then you are going to be stuck dealing with the dealer who has it. If you are lucky, another dealer in the area could trade for it but that's a gamble. The fact of the matter is, Volkswagens are not Hondas and there are just too few of them around to get exactly what you want unless you are prepared to do whatever it takes. This might involve driving to another city, cross country, or putting up with some local a**hole.

I know that it doesn't make it right, but is your objective to have a TDI in your driveway, or be a victim? Deception is part of buying a car. It's part of the game. You just have to play it cool and stick to your guns. Research your car and know what you are willing to pay for a car. If you aren't comfortable with the numbers on the table, walk out. Don't get emotional about it and start quoting invoice prices or internet posts, etc.

I'm not saying you can't find the car you want, you just have to look. The fact that you want a TDI means you'll probably have to look out of state if you have some specific car in mind. Out of the 32,000 TDI's (2002 number) how many do you think are wagons? How many are white GLS with beige interior? At this point, how many do you think are left on the lot?

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in paying invoice price either. In my experience it's just not common unless the dealer really wants to unload the car. Without a high sales volume or any other incentives, invoice is a bottom number for them. Be willing to pay somewhere between advertised invoice and MSRP and I'm quite certain you'll have better luck.

Given all you've gone through, maybe a Volkswagen is not for you at this point. However, there is enough sound advice here for you to make it happen.

A few of us are wondering about the car in Arizona. Did you call them?

u4ea

Veteran Member
Phil,
Understand your points. Despite the end of the quarter, near end of the month and facing the new 2004 TDI the dealers I have had experience with are very lazy. Maybe they only make pennies per sale I don't know. Some won't even get off their butts. I have dealt with more than 10 dealers now and only one really seems motivated to service the customer. I am not demanding 5 star service here either. The one decent dealer was just willing to hunt and appeared professional. That's one out of 10. Again, I understand your points but when shopping for a pickup last year about 7 or 8 out of 10 dealers were professional, helpful and courteous. VW just seems way below average.

I have not heard back from Arizona yet. I suspect they are not open yet.

I have found 5 so far. 3 on my own and two with help from forum members. That should be enough to work some sort of deal. One local dealer is having 1500 off sticker this weekend. However, he has no TDI's. He only ordered 10 for the year. He is somewhat goofy. Local TDI'ers that I talk to in parking lots and stuff have all purchased from over 75 miles away.

u4ea

Veteran Member
Another interesting tid bit. I contacted 15 dealers via the "Send me more info" function off the VW website. 2 have responded. It has been well over 72 hours. I had to call the rest of the dealers. They must be rolling in cash and not need to respond.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW

When we bought our 2002 last year at this time, there were several dealers in the general SoCal area that had exactly what we wanted. One even had four identical Wagons in stock.

Where did we get ours you may wonder? From the dealer that returned my call, and followed up and called me again after about a week, and they only had the one that we bought. Perhaps they were afraid that they would be stuck with the TDI (It was the only TDI in their entire stock, and they are a twin dealership.) She offered me the better deal also.

Invoice!

I wound up paying $22,500 which included $500 for the dealer installed 6 pack CD changer in the trunk area. Perhaps I got burned there, but the total was less than any of the several other dealers that had, as I have said, the same identical Wagon, and their prices did not include the CD changer!

So why did I buy from her you may wonder?

Because she acted interested, and followed up by calling me back, and offered me a better that average trade-in for our 2001 Highlander LTD. They would go $23,500 which was the best trade-in offer I had found. I did wind up selling the HL to Carson Toyota for $1000 more (cash $24,500), and they put it on their lot as a Certified Toyota, whereas most VW dealers were trying to steal it, some offering me as little as $20,500! So she got the deal because she was straight up and honest with me, and many many idiots have not figured out yet that they must do this if they want to be really successful in the automotive sales game.

The person that you are dealing with makes all the difference in the World!
With as many Wagons as we have discovered are available throughout the mid-west, there isn't any reason why you should have to pay more than invoice for exactly what you want at this time of the year.
Very soon the 2004s will be arriving, and these 2003s must be sold, and sold now.

Stick to your guns. I'll bet you wind up with that Tucson car, especially if what they say on their internet display is true. Seems to me that they are out to get your business. Hope they do follow through, and call you as well they should.

Good luck.

lilredjetdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2003, Tornado Red
My good friend Scott @Rusty Wallace VW has this offer that was sent to me. $400 below dealer invoice

I just saw, they have at least 8 TDI wagons in stock.

Another dealership I checked also had similar number of TDI wagons in stock. I guess TX, or Dallas for that matter is the place to get a TDI wagon

End of June specials!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Through the Internet Department, we are selling all instock vehicles at

$400.00 below dealer cost....

(price exludes; Conv. beetle, Touareg, and the 20th Anniv. Edition GTI..)

Also available is the 1.9% APR (W.A.C.)

These specials will end at 9:00 pm on the 30th of June, 2003...

Sincerely,
Scott E Pittenger
214-349-5559 x 2404
214-557-1479 cell

BESURE AND ASK FOR ME TO GET THE INTERNET/FLEET PRICING...

Sincerely,
Scott E Pittenger
Internet/Fleet Manager
Rusty Wallis VW
(214)349-5559 ext-2404
877-361-1616 Tollfree
(214)557-1479 cell

TheLongshot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon '03 Reflex Silver
Another interesting tid bit. I contacted 15 dealers via the "Send me more info" function off the VW website. 2 have responded. It has been well over 72 hours. I had to call the rest of the dealers. They must be rolling in cash and not need to respond.
Yeah, I got the same thing from the dealers in this area. Meanwhile, the one that I sent to the Hyndai dealership for a Santa Fe got almost an immediate response.

I do think Fairfax was upfront with me about the car that I bought. The manager wasn't willing to deal much, since it was the only one on the lot and he expected to sell it over the weekend. (It being an auto, I believed him, since it was the only auto wagon I could find in the area.) I probably should have taken the $500 off MSRP that he was offering that evening, but I hadn't done enough research on the car to feel comfortable doing that. The salesman did work with me on trying to get me to buy the car, including coming in early if I wanted it and giving me a cell number.

Course, a week later, a guy from Antwerpen posts that they got a bunch of TDIs in.

I think the better deals might be where they have better stock. Fairfax said that they would deal more with the gassers, since he had more of them.

Jason

u4ea

Veteran Member
"So she got the deal because she was straight up and honest with me, and many many idiots have not figured out yet that they must do this if they want to be really successful in the automotive sales game. "

True words. You hit it on the spot.

I continue the hunt................for car and price.

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
I've got guy looking for me right now, saying he can get the wagon at dealer invoice. Hopefully this guy will find one here locally. If doesn't I'm going try the in TX.

lilredjetdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2003, Tornado Red
If u want, feel free to call Scott. He seems like a nice guy. Tell him that he was referred to you by me, Rubaiyat. When I was ready to buy the TDI, he had none.

@ $400 below invoice, I bet even if u flew one way, it would be a great deal

Doesn't hurt to try another source

Good luck

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI

While I was screwing around yesterday looking for a Wagon for u4ea , I came accross a dealer in OH (Midwestern Auto Group in Dublin) that had 15 Wagons listed as being in stock, but the real kicker is that
11 of those 15 listed were TDIs!

The one of interest was a loaded Indigo Blue with Beige interior. But I guess that is the wrong Blue for u4ea?

There is a Galactic Blue at Century VW in Loveland, OH. They also have 6 other GLS TDI Wagons, but failed to list the sticker prices and the colors. Dumb!
If they list the MSRP, a person can determine what equipment the vehicle has.

Seven plus eleven equals eighteen Wagons at just those two OH dealerships!

That seems to be more TDI Wagons at that two dealers in OH than I know of in the entire state of California. The Wagons are simply not available here for some strange reason!

Anyhow, the Wagons are out there in cyberland IF a body can spend the time to hunt 'em down. But do expect to travel a fur piece to take delivery.

What a crying shame that VW of America does not put into place a vehicle locater system that everyone could access. It would be so simple. Instead of having to go through all that monkey-motion time consuming pain in the a--- proceedure to try and find one at each and every individual dealer. I wonder . . .
Why VW doesn't get their act together?

Oh well, I guess they figure that would make it too simple for us.

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
Tx is really looking good to me right now, I just talk Steve moment ago and gave upfront pricing on the a car. I figure I'm won't be saving that much money in long run, but the principal of being treat right by dealership.

u4ea

Veteran Member
Know what you mean Tango. Being treated right counts for a lot. Derrel...I may chase that indigo. It is Indigo I like not Galactic as i originally said.

Again to all of you...thanks for your help. And thanks for being the best VW sales people I ever knew. Even though you don't work for VW. Hmmm, perhaps this is VW's downsizing plan? Get the TDI Club to do the sales persons job.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Okay, scratch the Galactic Blue, or whatever it is called.

Another color that you might want to consider is the Mojave Beige along with the Beige Leather Interior. IF you can find one, that would be my choice. One seldom sees that exterior color, but when you do, they are a thing of beauty. And you'll not have to worry about seeing yourself coming down the street all the time like we do with ours.

Like I said, M. Beige will be even harder to find than either the Indigo or the White. But you never know?

Turns out that Century VW not only has an Indigo Blue, but also the hard to find Mojave Beige. Unless the M.Beige or the I. Blue have Black interiors, I'd jump on the M.Beige one in a hurry. Anyhow, worth a call or email to them don't you think?

Did that dealer in Tucson ever get back to you?

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Derrel, maybe the CA situation is supply and demand? The reason there are none in CA is because they are all sold? The reason there are 11 in OH is no demand? Just a theory, and not surprising they would deal on them.

And I do agree with you about service. I personally trust my local dealer and my purchases have been painless. I bought mine in January and paid between MSRP and invoice. Since then the service manager has been responsive to my needs and even given me a sales loaner while my non-warranty car was in for service. I firmly believe developing a relationship with a dealer is important.

Also, I think the dealer locator thing doesn't exist because VW wants you to buy locally. Therefore, it would seem that a local dealer should do the leg work of finding you a car. Therefore, I would complain my a** off to VoWA for what it's worth. Especially if I had to drive half-way across the country to buy a car because the local dealer is an a**hole.

Speaking of dealers, u4ea and tango - you guys will still need to find local dealers you trust. Kind of a shame, but having bought a car at a dealer sometimes gives you preferred treatment. Even if you do the work yourself, there will be times where you need something fixed under warranty.

Good luck to the both of you. It sounds like you are starting to break through and talk to some decent dealers.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Derrel, maybe the CA situation is supply and demand? The reason there are none in CA is because they are all sold? The reason there are 11 in OH [at only that one dealer!] is no demand? Just a theory, and not surprising they would deal on them.

[u4ea may discover how they will deal?]

Also, I think the dealer locator thing [ for the private individual ] doesn't exist because VW wants you to buy locally. Therefore, it would seem that a local dealer should do the leg work of finding you a car. Therefore, I would complain my a** off to VoWA for what it's worth. Especially if I had to drive half-way across the country to buy a car because the local dealer is an a**hole.

. . . there will be times where you need something fixed under warranty.

Not the case I'm sure. We simply just don't get the stock here that other states do. And when the few that we do see arrive, they are sold very soon. Capo. had 14 TDIs just a few weeks ago but is down to just 3 now. And Capo. is about the only dealer that seems to be able to get any TDIs.

You're probably correct about VW wanting us to buy whatever they have at the local dealer. If this is the case, shouldn't the dealer use the locater that they have to try and find a car so that they could then dealer trade like most other marques have. I know they have one, but most dealers do not seem to want to be bothered to use it, and work out a dealer trade.

As far as warranty work is concerned, any dealer has to repair any VW while it is in warranty, and they'd be stupid not to want to. Many dealers make more in the back room than they do up front.

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
Well we did it, I bought a Jetta TDI wagon, white with black leather and automatic transmission. Thanks guys for all the help. We bought it at Rusty Wallace VW in TX. I wish it was this easy buying a VW locally. As far as service goes, I have friend who is VW tec here Mn. BTW he works at VW stealership and can't even get a deal either.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well we did it, I bought a Jetta TDI wagon, white with black leather and automatic transmission. Thanks guys for all the help. We bought it at Rusty Wallace VW in TX. I wish it was this easy buying a VW locally. As far as service goes, I have friend who is VW tec here Mn. BTW he works at VW stealership and can't even get a deal either.

Congratulations!

Would this be the vehicle, from Rusty Wallis in Garland, Texas?

Price [MSRP]
Body Style Station Wagon
Exterior Candy White
Interior Black Interior
Engine 1.9L 4 cyl Turbo Fuel Injected
Fuel Type Diesel
Stock Number V31080 <--------
VIN WVWSP61JX3W (omitted for your security)

Gathering from what they have listed the MSRP to be, there is no ESP? I know that there is some option that is not included because you do see them with stickers that are up near $23,900.

Now it is none of our business of course, but if you could share with us how close to invoice you were able to negotiate, it might help ol u4ea!

When do you travel down to take delivery? I bet you're excited.

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes that is our car,they where so cool about everything. I will PM with the details. BTW Invoice was $22248.00

Ron

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Sp you got it for invoice. Excellent!

When you take delivery down there in Texas, do you have to pay the local Texas taxes?

Or do they make you accept delivery outside of the state so you are no obliged to pay the local TX taxes. (Got to be careful here or I might just transpose some letters!)

In AZ, that is what you must do to avoid paying the AZ taxes. Same here in CA.

Do they give you the MSO or Manufactures Certificate of Origin?

All these questions, but I'm sure that you'll be learning the answers soon enough.

Again, congratulations.

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
Here it goes, I have too pay some TX city taxes which comes to something like $35.00, but when I get Mn they look at the loan amount and charge taxes on loan total, not total of the price of the car. I'm not sure if that is right but that what the local DMV was telling me.

vwtdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
02.5 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI
Congrats on the wagon, you will love it. When I ordered my 02 it took 2 months to come in, but sometimes you have to wait to get what you want

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Congratulations, Tango. I sincerely hope your car buying woes are behind you and you can start enjoying your Volkswagen.

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
I guess I'm offical TDI member now, no more lurking. Thanks to everyone for helping me out.