looking for a full PD150 set up including intake pipe

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Silver Jetta GLS Wagon 93K miles!! 1 owner Autotragic but not for long!
Hello all, would like to find a full PD150 manifold intake with intake pipe for my next set up. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!
peter

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
Are you keeping your EGR? If not, I have a BRM intake, EGR delete kit, and a long EGT probe that mounts through the turbo EGR block-off plate. I installed all that on my car and then promptly failed emissions because I deleted the EGR. I just finished installing a new turbo, a PD150 intake, and EGR, so I don't need the previous setup.

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Don't forget the airbox top and the plastic flex pipe between the Turbo Inlet Pipe and the Airbox top. You'll need the airbox top with the PD150 MAF housing. If Burpod is tuning out the MAF, you don't need a PD150 MAF, just any "sacrificial" VW MAF to put in the housing.

Eric

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
Eric -- is your comment directed to me or the OP? My PD150 installation (along with a GT1856v turbo) uses the stock air filter housing and MAF, flex connector, and hard plastic turbo inlet pipe. Then there is a silicone adapter that steps up the size of the inlet pipe to match the turbo inlet (1.5" to 1.75", if I remember correctly). Then coming out of the turbo, there is a 2" 90* elbow, a 2" to 1.75" silicone reducer going to a short piece of the stock rubber hose that snap-locks into the plastic pancake pipe. From there to the intercooler and out again, connecting to the stock hard plastic pipe that runs topside from the intercooler to the rear of the engine. Then a silicone expander, 90* elbow, and a barb to snap-lock adapter from Darkside which snaps into the PD150 EGR valve and on into the intake. Yes, I do have a burpod tune, so to your point, the MAF is superfluous. However, it's good to know that I'll need a different air filter housing top and MAF if I ever switch to a tune that needs MAF.

For the EGR cooler, I'm using a stock ALH pipe from exhaust manifold to cooler, the ALH cooler, and then a PD150 pipe (038-131-521 AT) from cooler to EGR valve. Everything fits "well enough", but the EGR valve sticks out farther to the right of the car than the ALH stock setup and causes the whole intercooler to EGR pipe assembly to crowd components such as washer fluid bottle, brake fluid reservoir, and coolant expansion tank. I'm going to seek a better solution for this, but it works for now. You can see more detail and photos at this thread:

Last edited:

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Shoebear,

I was responding to you and Peterdaniel. My Audi TT -> TDI is the same setup as your's (Burpod helped me out in deciding......). I have the PD150 TIP (mine is a metal one) I picked up from RyanP/Darkside years ago when I ordered a six speed transmission. When I first did my conversion, I used the original ALH top of the airbox with a piece of Silicone pipe I cut that fit around the MAF. That brought the diameter up to that of the PD150 plastic flex pipe. When Burpod wrote a tune with the MAF delete, I put the PD150 airbox top with the PD150 MAF housing on and it fits much better. The location of the of the ALH MAF and the PD150 MAF is slightly different. The ALH is closer to the TIP, distance wise.

When I installed my 1856, I switched from the plastic ALH pipe that runs to the intercooler and used the Audi TT/VW 1.8l metal pancake pipe. My set up is similar to yours in that I used a 90 silicone pipe coming off the turbo; then a short (3" or 4") metal connector pipe. I cut the original 1.8l rubber pipe that ran from the pancake pipe to the 1.8l turbo and used that cut piece to connect to the pancake pipe. Fits great and nothing rubs.

Yea, I saw your mockup post. Very nice!

Eric

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks! I have a metal pancake pipe I plan to install, but the priority was getting my car back on the road, so I'll do that later. I will try to find the larger TIP in a boneyard -- sounds like the PD150 pipe is used in multiple cars.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Thanks! I have a metal pancake pipe I plan to install, but the priority was getting my car back on the road, so I'll do that later. I will try to find the larger TIP in a boneyard -- sounds like the PD150 pipe is used in multiple cars.
Cascade German is importing TIPs. I got mine through them, it's still in the box

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
Cascade German is importing TIPs. I got mine through them, it's still in the box
Can you provide a link? I searched for "turbo inlet pipe" on their site and found four -- all plastic: ALH, BEW, AAZ, and Audi TT. I searched for the PD150 engine code ARL and saw some interesting stuff, but no TIPs.

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
Shoebear,

The link to cascadegerman are the parts I have on my Audi TT -> TDI. I thought you already had the PD150 TIP when I read your other post (but not the airbox top and larger PD150 MAF).

Eric

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
I thought you already had the PD150 TIP when I read your other post (but not the airbox top and larger PD150 MAF).
No, I have the stock ALH airbox, MAF, and TIP. My car was unexpectedly out of service when my old turbo failed, so my focus was on getting the car back in the road, not optimizing performance.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
As an 'in between' the BEW's TIP is larger than the ALH one. The BEW flexi pipe is needed to mate up to the ALH airbox/MAF nipple.

Douglas

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Shoebear,

The link to cascadegerman are the parts I have on my Audi TT -> TDI. I thought you already had the PD150 TIP when I read your other post (but not the airbox top and larger PD150 MAF).

Eric
You have a TT TDI? please post a few photos of that and the engine compartment, would love to see.

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
As an 'in between' the BEW's TIP is larger than the ALH one. The BEW flexi pipe is needed to mate up to the ALH airbox/MAF nipple.
In other words, a BEW TIP and flex pipe from a local boneyard could be mated to the stock ALH airbox and MAF, providing better airflow than ALH stock without the complexity of adjusting the tune to accommodate the PD150 MAF. However, the flow would not be as good as a full PD150 setup. Do I have that right?

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
In other words, a BEW TIP and flex pipe from a local boneyard could be mated to the stock ALH airbox and MAF, providing better airflow than ALH stock without the complexity of adjusting the tune to accommodate the PD150 MAF. However, the flow would not be as good as a full PD150 setup. Do I have that right?
compared to ALH bits, I think you do... :)

Douglas

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
PakProtector, Shoebear,

I don't think you would gain much by switching to a BEW TIP. The PD150 TIP is much larger in diameter and volume. Burpod wrote a tune for my Audi TT -> TT with a MAF delete.

Eric

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
@shoebear - you already have a MAF delete tune, whatever you want to do will only be as complex as you make it to be :p

with siliconeintakes.com near you -it's pretty easy to make your own larger TIP with a 2' section of 45deg bent 2.5" pipe. it doesn't fit quite a "neat" as a factory one, might need a big zip tie or something to keep it a bit more secure, but will be 100% functional. need a 135deg bend silicone off the turbo, joiner, a reducer, 2' of pipe, then something to connect to whatever airbox, with or without the maf housing. your maf is already dead to the ecu :p

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
@burpod -- Yes, I know my tune deletes the MAF. My comment above about adjusting the tune for the different MAF was "in general". In any case, I've already ordered the PD150 factory kit from Cascade German. I will also be giving some attention to the boost pipes.

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
PD150 intake installed.

It mostly fit. It was a struggle to get the top mounting tab aligned with the screw hole in the intake, and I never did get the side mount aligned. The intake is resting on the main vacuum line where it connects to the vacuum pump, which made installing the clamp difficult. The breather attachment doesn't work with the stock ALH breather hose and causes the breather to be misaligned. That's OK, I will install a catch can soon, which will require new plumbing.