Looking at getting a 2012 A3 TDI wagon

bluemac

TDI
2012 A3
Howdy y'all!

I recently found a 2012 A3 wagon a few hours away from me that I'm thinking about getting. It's got 107,000 miles on it; the seller (fella on FB marketplace, he said he's selling it "on behalf" of the original owner) told me that the dieselgate "fix" had been done, but I checked the VIN and much to my surprise, it has not had the emissions system fixed! I'm in Georgia and we don't require emissions for diesels, so if I do get it I'd keep it the way it is, I'd run through the warranty in 2 years. I'd also rather keep the performance and the mileage the way it is

My question is, I've seen lots of people complaining about EGR and DPF issues post fix. Obviously I wouldn't have any issues with the DPF, but will the EGR issues still pop up on an unfixed TDI?

Obviously any car 10+ years old is going to have issues here and there (I'm driving a 99 MB and had two Swedes before that, I'm not stranger to issues!), I'm just wondering if I'll have any better luck with an unfixed car, and also anything specific I should be looking for when I test drive the car.

DSIre

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI (sold), 2011 A3 TDI, 2015 A3 TDI (Returned)
I had that car as a 2011 and loved it. Wish i did not turn it in. An unfixed car will be a treasure!
Stock shocks belong in a buick though. If you do buy it I have a set of bilstein shocks and S line springs ready to sell. And a cold weather cord for the heater.

bluemac

TDI
2012 A3
Alright! I definitely am thinking unfixed would be way better. I see so many issues people are talking about with their fixed ones I’m not sure if it would be worth the gamble of getting one. Did yours have any issues with the HPFP or did you not have it long enough to find out?

The listed price is $8,500 which for that mileage to me seems kind of low. I’m worried it may have some odd issue, but I won’t know til I go look at it!

bluemac

TDI
2012 A3
Stock shocks belong in a buick though. If you do buy it I have a set of bilstein shocks and S line springs ready to sell. And a cold weather cord for the heater.
Also I’d definitely be interested in these if I do get it. I like to have some fun on my curvy Georgia roads!

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
I love mine. Getting one with the fix isn't a big deal so long as you do a delete/tune and live in a state that doesn't test.
I purchased mine with 46k miles so I immediately changed the trans fluid.

Mine is a S-Line titanium, so it had the sport suspension. I liked it, had a decent ride height and performance however I swapped it out with an ST XTA coilover setup.

If you want a stock A3 sport suspension, I still have mine.

In addition to a delete/tune, I did a CR170 turbo and a CP3 fuel pump

bluemac

TDI
2012 A3
Thanks tjg! This unfixed one is the best deal in my area, and the only dark blue one around. Georgia’s still free of diesel emissions so good to go on that.

Luckily it’s got all its service records, I’ll be sure to look through and check the last trans service (and see if the timing belt’s been changed yet). It’s been serviced at Audi dealerships its whole life.

I haven’t heard anything about the CP3 fuel pump before. The issues I’ve heard about HPFPs definitely make me a bit hesitant, but if I’m going to have to do a timing belt service I might as well tackle that while I’m at it…

This might be a pretty noob question, but will an unfixed one benefit from a delete/tune as well? I’m a good bit handy with cars but never done any tunes or anything.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd say generally the CP4.1 in the CJAA/CBEA motors is totally fine... I believe it was really only the earlier model years that had issues with them self destructing, but I could be wrong.

Regardless of whether the car is fixed or not, the DPF is an eventual (expensive) maintenance item. Generally people wait until they have an issue with the DPF/EGR and then do the delete/tune then. Definitely the smartest way (financially) to do it.

On my sportwagen I had a bad Cat that was backordered for an indefinite amount of time (result was the car in almost constant regen). after a few weeks of no word on ETA, I went with a Rawtek DP/Exhaust and Malone Tune.

With my A3, I bought it with the express intent of immediately modifying it so after a few months of driving it and making sure there weren't any other warranty items that needed fixing I went ahead and spent a weekend ripping everything apart.
Documented here: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/a3-2-0-cr170-project.507454/

jasennn

TDI
2012 audi a3 8p
Howdy y'all!

I recently found a 2012 A3 wagon a few hours away from me that I'm thinking about getting. It's got 107,000 miles on it; the seller (fella on FB marketplace, he said he's selling it "on behalf" of the original owner) told me that the dieselgate "fix" had been done, but I checked the VIN and much to my surprise, it has not had the emissions system fixed! I'm in Georgia and we don't require emissions for diesels, so if I do get it I'd keep it the way it is, I'd run through the warranty in 2 years. I'd also rather keep the performance and the mileage the way it is

My question is, I've seen lots of people complaining about EGR and DPF issues post fix. Obviously I wouldn't have any issues with the DPF, but will the EGR issues still pop up on an unfixed TDI?

Obviously any car 10+ years old is going to have issues here and there (I'm driving a 99 MB and had two Swedes before that, I'm not stranger to issues!), I'm just wondering if I'll have any better luck with an unfixed car, and also anything specific I should be looking for when I test drive the car.
The biggest concern would be eventually the timing belt at 120k and how often the DSG has been serviced. I just had the biggest catastrophe on my a3 TDI car last month. the serpentine belt exploded and it caused my timing belt to skip a tooth nd somehow break my exhaust side camshaft in two, where it then friction welded itself back together at the break. Freak accident and moral of the story is to run a splash guard and replace your serpentine belt way before its recommended. Oh and it took out one of the AC lines that's 500 dollars to replace. 3000 dollars later my motor has new water pump, camshaft , timing belt and is mechanically good for the next 120k miles. No AC in the hot Florida sun is making me want to sell it soon. And as for suspension; I have KONI Special active and I liked the Bilstein on my friends TDI Jetta a lot better. I keep stock ride height and its great going over tiny cracks because its the same as KONI FSD.. basically like low cost magnetic suspension filtering technology. Any who's best of luck on your potential purchase. and feel free to reach out to me if you want a fully sorted Malone stage 3 with cr170 turbo with rawtek exhaust (AC not included hahah)

bluemac

TDI
2012 A3
The biggest concern would be eventually the timing belt at 120k and how often the DSG has been serviced. I just had the biggest catastrophe on my a3 TDI car last month. the serpentine belt exploded and it caused my timing belt to skip a tooth nd somehow break my exhaust side camshaft in two, where it then friction welded itself back together at the break. Freak accident and moral of the story is to run a splash guard and replace your serpentine belt way before its recommended. Oh and it took out one of the AC lines that's 500 dollars to replace. 3000 dollars later my motor has new water pump, camshaft , timing belt and is mechanically good for the next 120k miles. No AC in the hot Florida sun is making me want to sell it soon. And as for suspension; I have KONI Special active and I liked the Bilstein on my friends TDI Jetta a lot better. I keep stock ride height and its great going over tiny cracks because its the same as KONI FSD.. basically like low cost magnetic suspension filtering technology. Any who's best of luck on your potential purchase. and feel free to reach out to me if you want a fully sorted Malone stage 3 with cr170 turbo with rawtek exhaust (AC not included hahah)
Oooooh buddy that is rough. Reading accounts like that always gives me the jimmies but really it could happen to any car not maintained. Almost none of the cars I've found (except for the one I posted about, which sold before I had a chance to check it out) have records with them which is definitely a risk and they're all around the mileage they need a timing belt. The most recent one I've found I got excited about because the price was great... because the guy bought it at auction w/ a salvage title after it was totaled and fixed it up. Also due for a TB. However, already tuned and deleted which is a money saver for me.

Yours sounds nice though, especially with all those new parts! Ha. But probably out of my budget, considering all those new parts. And already tuned! If it was a price I could work with I'd definitely be interested; knowing someone who knows a thing or two was the previous owner would be a great relief. I'm up in N. GA and my first car didn't have A/C and the heated seat was stuck on. Finally fixed the AC after two summers of sweating.

jasennn

TDI
2012 audi a3 8p
Oooooh buddy that is rough. Reading accounts like that always gives me the jimmies but really it could happen to any car not maintained. Almost none of the cars I've found (except for the one I posted about, which sold before I had a chance to check it out) have records with them which is definitely a risk and they're all around the mileage they need a timing belt. The most recent one I've found I got excited about because the price was great... because the guy bought it at auction w/ a salvage title after it was totaled and fixed it up. Also due for a TB. However, already tuned and deleted which is a money saver for me.

Yours sounds nice though, especially with all those new parts! Ha. But probably out of my budget, considering all those new parts. And already tuned! If it was a price I could work with I'd definitely be interested; knowing someone who knows a thing or two was the previous owner would be a great relief. I'm up in N. GA and my first car didn't have A/C and the heated seat was stuck on. Finally fixed the AC after two summers of sweating.
I picked up the car in Atlanta funny enough. it has 122k miles.. its the most sorted a3 TDI on here .. It was owned by an old lady for 75k before getting sold back to Audi because of emissions. This year alone I have about 9k in repairs and upgrades. Cr170 turbo and Malone stage 3 and DSG tune, Full suspension rebuild (I mean literally everything I even have new steering knuckles from Audi because the old ones weren't shiny. Every bushing has been replaced with new arms both front and rear) the amount of OCD put into this car would shock you. Brand new KONI special active suspension was put on this last June and has been riding amazing for the past 6 months. The only issue on the car is the AC line needs replaced. I am currently looking for the replacement part and should hopefully have it fixed before handing it over to anyone. and the headliner is starting to droop so I am taking it in to get re glued next week.. I have no Idea what the market is like for deleted and tuned a3 with all the sensible upgrades and maintenance anyone would possibly ask for. the car is basically ready for the next 120k miles before anything like that goes bad again (besides oil changes and DSG fluid every 40k miles).. I think I would be happy for 16k

SR7D1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Logged into the site for the first time in years. Had a 2000 and a 2016 VW Golf TDI. Sold in 2017/18. Now I have a 2012 A3TDI and love it. I'm going to start reading through the forum to find out what performance mods can be and should be done with them.

I have about 9K miles left on the emissions warranty so for now it is completely stock. I had APR tunes on my VW's but this thread is talking about Malone.

I don't expect it to be quick like my S5 was, but just some simple upgrades in the ECU and other restrictions.

Right now I have upgraded rotors and Hawk pads with SS lines and a upgraded RSB. That's it.

I remember something about guys removing the muffler and running without and having no additional noise, better flow. Is that still a thing?

If I am keeping the stock turbo, what other enhancements are you guys doing in addition to a tune?

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
I remember something about guys removing the muffler and running without and having no additional noise, better flow. Is that still a thing?

If I am keeping the stock turbo, what other enhancements are you guys doing in addition to a tune?
removing the muffler won't make any noticeable difference (sound or performance wise) so long as you have the DPF in place.

All of the modifications you see people do on the MK6 CJAA platform (and sportwagen) apply here too.
I'd highly recommend at the very least a DSG tune from malone (assuming your DSG has been regularly serviced). After that just upgrade stuff as the OEM stuff breaks. If OH is an emissions state, then you'll probably want to just stick with a DPF setup and a Malone DPF tune.

jasennn

TDI
2012 audi a3 8p
Logged into the site for the first time in years. Had a 2000 and a 2016 VW Golf TDI. Sold in 2017/18. Now I have a 2012 A3TDI and love it. I'm going to start reading through the forum to find out what performance mods can be and should be done with them.

I have about 9K miles left on the emissions warranty so for now it is completely stock. I had APR tunes on my VW's but this thread is talking about Malone.

I don't expect it to be quick like my S5 was, but just some simple upgrades in the ECU and other restrictions.

Right now I have upgraded rotors and Hawk pads with SS lines and a upgraded RSB. That's it.

The car sounds amazing straight piped, Its perfect with a resonator to reduce drone. Its not loud like a gas car until you get over 3500rmp and then it starts to sing. I highly recommend anything straight back after the turbo. Buzzken exhaust is what you want.

McGuirk

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 TDI
with the CBEA its a good idea to check/replace the hex carrier shaft in the balance shaft assembly. You have to drop the oil pan and remove the clip and pull the shaft out. Its not overly hard but if that shaft rounds out it will cause your engine to loose oil pressure which will be a major issue obviously. Apparently there are two versions of this shaft. 1 is 70mm long (older version?) and a newer version which is 100mm long. The balance shaft assembly is also driven 1 of two ways; gear or chain. From what ive read the gear version is the newer version. Here is a good video to watch.

Keep in mind that not all this will apply to the A3 depending on which version of the assembly it has. Mine is a 2011 with 140k miles and it had the newer gear driven with 100mm hex carrier. I'm glad I checked it too because it was worn.
Another option is deleting the balance shaft assembly and switching the engine over to a different oil pump. This will induce more vibration but apparently its minor. The video talks about this a bit. kits can be purchased on kermatdi.com or parts sourced yourself. I opted to just replace the shaft. The longer 100mm shaft can be bought here https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/carrier/03g115281e/

Last edited: