Looking at a 2014 Sportwagen with limp mode

chiro05

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I'm going tomorrow to look at a 2014 Sportwagen with 292k miles. Physically its in great looking condition, but the original motor was replaced due to turbo failure and oil loss that locked up motor per owner. After used motor installed..."it runs but goes into limp mode after boost. Will run and drive but lacks power". Any suggestions on what to look for? Price seems good at 3500 for the condition and year. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I don't have any further info at the moment. Been out of the TDI scene for a while but excited to get back at it. Thanks guys!

JasonG

Veteran Member
TDI
1994, 2003 JSW (sold), 2012 Jetta
Is the VNT moving? Possibly disconnected?
Loose boost hose/coupling?
Did they change the DPF? The oil from a blown turbo would have plugged it up. If not expect to delete it or wait 4-6 months for a new DPF.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I've probably replaced 50+ failed turbochargers on CJAAs, never once did one need a DPF because of it. If there was any oil in there, all you do is just up-end it while it is off the car, spray a bunch of solvent in the outlet, and blow it back through.

Most of the turbo failures are just plain locked up, no oil going anywhere.

chiro05

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Is the VNT moving? Possibly disconnected?
Loose boost hose/coupling?
Did they change the DPF? The oil from a blown turbo would have plugged it up. If not expect to delete it or wait 4-6 months for a new DPF.
Great questions! I'll look into that. Thank you for responding. I really appreciate it.

chiro05

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I've probably replaced 50+ failed turbochargers on CJAAs, never once did one need a DPF because of it. If there was any oil in there, all you do is just up-end it while it is off the car, spray a bunch of solvent in the outlet, and blow it back through.

Most of the turbo failures are just plain locked up, no oil going anywhere.
I have a feeling he used a local mechanic with very limited knowledge of TDIs. I plan to find out the whole story. Could it also be that he used the wrong engine? Or something needs cleared or refreshed?

chiro05

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Well, got there only to find issues with my OBD reader itself. lol

So what it I did see:
DPF message on the display.
Oil in the area of the air filter hose/battery tray. Even had a little in the tray. Maybe a tablespoon.
Runs and drives without and hesitation other then the turbo doesn't engage.

also....
car shifter will physically go into park but linkage mush be off because it doesn't actually go into park as it will roll if you don't use parking brake. He said that happened after the motor install.

He said it was a local mechanic where he used to live that did the swap out. Motor was from a Beetle with 77K miles.
When he left the shop it started to spool and then fell flat and went into limp mode. That is how he has been driving. The shop checked it out but didn't have any answer except "you put a used motor in"

the car is nice otherwise.

Dash lumination lights don't work and he said haven't since he owned it. 5 years.

The question is if $3500 is cheap enough to take a risk. He still drives it everyday as is. He isn't a mechanic and doesn't have the funds to keep putting into it.

oilhammer

TDI
Tough to say. The 02E can break the park pawl when people don't use the brake, I've seen a few like that. That would be a non-issue for me, I never allow the transmission to hold the weight of the car anyway. This assumes it is not some sort of cable adjustment thing. The cable on the transmission is JUST for that, it has nothing to do with gear selection, that is all done via the module in the shifter assembly, electronically.

It probably has a big boost leak or a turbo actuator or something not installed right with the vacuum system... who knows. Sounds like it was at a lousy shop.

chiro05

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Tough to say. The 02E can break the park pawl when people don't use the brake, I've seen a few like that. That would be a non-issue for me, I never allow the transmission to hold the weight of the car anyway. This assumes it is not some sort of cable adjustment thing. The cable on the transmission is JUST for that, it has nothing to do with gear selection, that is all done via the module in the shifter assembly, electronically.

It probably has a big boost leak or a turbo actuator or something not installed right with the vacuum system... who knows. Sounds like it was at a lousy shop.
First off, sorry for not providing OBD readings...Very frustrated mine wouldn't work.

I think the adjustment seems most likely off since it was ok before engine replacement. Assuming seller is honest. lol

Would that price cause you to take a chance on it? its clean inside and out. No rust. Good headliner. lol

Thank you for replying with not much to go on. He owned it for 5 years.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
I would be more concerned about the things I could not easily fix, like the body (paintwork, dents, rust holes, crashes), the interior surfaces (including that giant headliner!) and the general overall cleanliness of the car. Mechanicals can always be fixed. The numbers in the odometer are for keeping track of PM and for bragging, and no indicator to me of the "life" of the car.

Chances are, the limp mode is probably something simple. But even if it needs a whole turbocharger, that's not *that* awful of a thing to do.

chiro05

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I would be more concerned about the things I could not easily fix, like the body (paintwork, dents, rust holes, crashes), the interior surfaces (including that giant headliner!) and the general overall cleanliness of the car. Mechanicals can always be fixed. The numbers in the odometer are for keeping track of PM and for bragging, and no indicator to me of the "life" of the car.

Chances are, the limp mode is probably something simple. But even if it needs a whole turbocharger, that's not *that* awful of a thing to do.
I left last night and wanted to "sleep on it" aka get advice from gurus like you on it. So I think I will grab it and get back in the game. Thanks for offering some advice and insight oilhammer!

chiro05

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I passed on it. Too many red flags when I went back to look again. Owner was a good salesman, but contradicted himself at least 3 times about engine replacement, what he had tried to fix it and how long he had been trying to sale it. SO the search continues.

vdubdiesel

TDI
2011 JSW, 2003 Golf TDI (gone not forgotten)
always hard to pass once you decide to make the jump, good for you, a better car will come.