Looking at a 2013 Jetta TDI

Gun-driver

TDI
‘04 Jetta, ‘14 Passat SEL
I’m looking to upgrade from my 2004 Jetta TDI (300,000 mi) to a 2013 (82,000 mi). What’s the good, bad and ugly?
I don’t know anything about the diesel gate since it didn’t effect me at the time, but now those year cars are starting to show up in my price range.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I would read up before I made that decision just so you are fully aware of what to expect. Way more to read already here than someone can write all over again. Nothing particularly wrong with that car though.

Gun-driver

TDI
Where I live we don’t have emissions tests, so besides the emission issue has there been any stand out problems with this diesel engine and/or system. (EGR, turbo, injector pump, injectors, etc.)
Supposedly the correction was done on this car and has the extended warranty, at least copies of it, I haven’t seen anything that lists its VIN#.
I plan on copying the VIN and calling my local dealer to see if it shows up, being done or not. (Not sure if that is even a viable option)
Thanks in advance.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You really need to do your homework. Here is the site to check on emissions update status.

You need to read and learn this stuff or you will regret getting the car. Lots of stuff here. Too much to spoon feed it to you.

The early models did have some issues. Not up to speed on it any more though.

Gun-driver

TDI
Thanks for the link. According to the VIN and your link the car is covered. I guess now I need to call my local dealer to find the in-service date and/or when the emission update was done on the car that will show what’s left of the warranty.
Thanks for the link.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
As I said you need to read and learn this stuff. If the fix has been done there will be a paper sticker under the hood showing it was done. The in service date was probably in 2012 and won't be much use more than likely due to the time. What is important now is when was the fix done as it carries another 4 years and 48k miles IIRC. Check the docs.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
The util\link above gives you detail.... are you looking\reading what it tells you?

In addition, and concurrently, the Extended Emissions Warranty runs for 4 years or 48,000 miles (whichever occurs first) from the date of modification or first dealer resale post-modification. Your vehicle was modified on Aug 29, 2019 and 41,428 miles. Please see your VW dealership for additional information on the vehicle's post-modification dealer re-sale date.
Based on what you have posted, the 10\120 would only come into play if you don't drive much..... but if that was the case, you wouldn't be looking at a TDI.... so it will be the 4\48 that will apply and that info is given to you by the above link.

Gun-driver

TDI
From everything I’ve been reading it sounds like the system that was in my wife’s Jeep 3.0 CRD which was a piece of crap.
So now my thoughts are moving towards doing one of the delete and tune kits, not for more power but just to get away from the DPF and the regeneration system, back close to stock per se.
This would be down the road a year or so to make sure the car is covered at first to make sure it’s not a lemon then do the delete and not worrying about the warranty anymore.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Plan on spending at least a couple of grand to accomplish that, not to mention other issues that maybe will pop up (legal possibly). I could never understand why someone is willing to throw money at a problem that doesn't exist and you may never have an issue with and is covered by warranty at the time. But to each their own. The earlier years also had issues with the intercooler IIRC.

Sounds like there won't be much warranty on that car anyway. Might as well ride it out as you are already waiting for a year or so you said.

Gun-driver

TDI
Just got off the phone with the local VW dealer the modification update was done in Jan 2020 the seller said he purchased it in March 2020 so that should net me just under 3 yrs warranty.
The main reason to get rid of the regen system is to run my biodiesel in it to avoid the $3.45 a gallon pump fuel.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You would have to do that to use bio. The emission system won't like that at all. I hope you are also making excellent bio as the fuel system won't handle anything less. The earlier years had some issues with the HPFP's (High Pressure Fuel Pump) and sending metal shavings throughout the fuel system. Make your bio with care and wash and dry it completely. The HPFP won't like water or residual chemicals either. Good luck! I ran my own bio in my 2006 Jetta way back then, with no issues. Different now.

Gun-driver

TDI
I’ve been running my bio in my F-250 PS since it was new in ‘06 and my ‘04 Jetta for almost 200,000 mi, along with other friends diesels so I’m pretty confident it will be fine.
I also run it in my boiler for the radiant floor heat in my 60 x 35 garage with no issues, keeps it nice and toasty in there through the winter.👍

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don't bother.... the BD use is well documented and discussed.... no one listens.... every CR manual always warns against its use, but people love to save pennies at the pump and then just jump on the CP4 is crap bandwagon.

Gun-driver

TDI
If your in PA all pump diesel is B-5.

When I got my new F- 250 I had it to the dealer for a clogged EGR valve within 6 months, everybody said you can’t run Bio in a Power Stroke because of the injectors. Well it is now 15 yrs old and after switching to my Bio after the second clogged EGR light in a year, it has not had another problem with the EGR and only had to clean the turbo inlet guide vanes once (that was my fault for driving around town and not exercising them enough) that was mostly from rust not soot it was nearly soot free.
As stated above been running it in my 2004 BEW- PD for close to 200,000 ( just turned 300,000 this morning) so I guess if you make quality Bio it does work.
So I don’t know what else to say to the nay sayers.

Gun-driver

TDI
I was referring to this including the PD

deltamed

TDI
'04 Jetta TDI
What mila
Plan on spending at least a couple of grand to accomplish that, not to mention other issues that maybe will pop up (legal possibly). I could never understand why someone is willing to throw money at a problem that doesn't exist and you may never have an issue with and is covered by warranty at the time. But to each their own. The earlier years also had issues with the intercooler IIRC.

Sounds like there won't be much warranty on that car anyway. Might as well ride it out as you are already waiting for a year or so you said.
The problem that DOES exist is a 34 mpg TDI. I am sometimes forced to spend $1.00 more per gallon on diesel. Gas burners get 34 mpg these days. Like most people who drive TDIs, I want the reliability, power at altitude, and fuel savings. I can save $2000 in a year's time or less with an increase of 10 mpg.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
50k miles at 34mpg is 1471 gallons used. 50k miles at 44mpg is 1136 gallons used. 1471 - 1136 is a difference of 335 gallons or $335 dollars more, "if" you always pay $1 more. Unless you are driving 350k miles a year you won't save that $2k in a year. Your numbers don't add up.

Name me a comparable gas burner that gets 34 mpg?

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
My 2015 Passat 1.8 TSI would get very close to 40 mpg (regular unleaded gas) and had equal power and torque to my 2013 1nd 2019 2.0 TDI JSWs.
I traded it om a 2012 Touareg TDI Exec because we could get in and out easier and it would tow our trailer like it was not back there.
You might be just as happy with a later Passat TSI with similar MPG to the Jetta 2.0 TDI as I have had both.
The Passat has more room a huge trunk and a very nice ride.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I had a 2013 Passat tdi sel before dieselgate. I have also driven a 2015 tdi (daughters) and a gas engine one as well as a loaner. They are nice cars for highway driving and provide a lot of room. The gas one didn't get anywhere near that for me though in city/urban driving. Mid 20's or so. I am only a fan of the diesels though and would look for something other than a VW if it came to a gas car.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs make sense only if you know how to do math and if you keep your vehicle for a long time while driving more than average.
Economy and Longevity are significant factors if you have a suitable driving pattern\use..... if you're just a stop and go city driver, the CRs aren't for you...... try a Prius instead and spend your fuel savings on catalytic security detail :)

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I have driven a Prius I for over 180,000 miles and a 2009 for close to 300,000 miles.
The Prius is cheaper to operate, but the TDI is more fun.
However if you are doing a lot of short trip, around town driving then the TDI is probably not for you.
I liked the torque and the grunt of the TDI, but not the maintenance and the cost of Diesel Fuel.
I used the JSWs (2009 and 2013) to tow our 16' Scamp travel trailer and they would do it, but not as easily as either the Town and Country or Touareg.
If you drive high miles you will be looking at timing belt / water pump replacement and DMF flywheel replacement, not to mention DPF etc if you stay legal.
The least expensive car I have had (correcting for inflation) was the Prius I but it was also a boring car and my wife never liked it.
She loved the TDIs and the Passat 1.8 TSI as well as the Touareg TDI Exec. Of those she might have liked the Passat and Touareg the most. All have excellent performance and the sword of Damocles hanging over them...

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Prius eat oil/wheel bearings/swaybar endlinks and your cat gets cut off as soon as you walk away from the parked car......
Cars should be looked at as "tools"..... figure out what's best suited for your needs\wants\use and get the one that works. There is no single vehicle that does it all for everyone..... that is why most household have more than one type of vehicle.