Looking at a 2013 A3 TDI PremiumPlus tonight

AudiNub

TDI
2013 Audi A3 Premium Plus TDI
All,
I am going to look at a 2013 TDI A3 this afternoon/tonight, it is in mint condition from the pics, has only 68K. miles, and is asking $16k. I think I can get it for $15k, was wondering what you all thought? I have had VW's before (and BMW's) but am looking for a fun commuter call that is either a hatchback or wagon, never have had an AUDI. Anything I should look closely at? I am really looking forward to TDI, love the torque (I have had a few diesel HD trucks). Thoughts?

loukytdi

TDI
1979 Rabbit Diesel, 1982 Caddy Diesel, 1997 Passat ALH TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta ALH TDI Wagon, 2012 Audi A3, Black, Titanium Package, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI, 2013 Audi A3 8P (all sold), 2015 Golf SE 6M TDI
I paid about the same for one of those this time last year. Check when (or if) it had the emissions fix done and get whatever service records are on it.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
the myturbodiesel website has a buying guide for the TDI A3. Reference that AND the TDI sportwagen one, as there's a lot of overlap.

The sportwagen subforum here will also have a ton of relevant info regarding the engine (should be a CBEA engine... basically an early CJAA).

Assume that the trans fluid has not been changed, and change it.
Additionally, it will be hitting the 10 year service requirement for the timing belt this year, so that's something to consider (or not) as well.

AudiNub

TDI
Thanks! I will check it out. I ended up buying it, got it for 15K. It is pristine inside and out.

I plan on changing the tranny fluid, oil change, battery and timing belt done right away. I need to find a good VW/Audi shop here in Boise, or may end up doing it myself. Little cold out still to tackle it right now if I have to do it myself.

DSIre

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI (sold), 2011 A3 TDI, 2015 A3 TDI (Returned)
Let me know if you are in need of the cord to plug it in. I have one I can sell for half what I paid.

Tuheeden

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 & 2014 Jetta sportwagon
Thanks! I will check it out. I ended up buying it, got it for 15K. It is pristine inside and out.

I plan on changing the tranny fluid, oil change, battery and timing belt done right away. I need to find a good VW/Audi shop here in Boise, or may end up doing it myself. Little cold out still to tackle it right now if I have to do it myself.
The timing service is EZ - if your handy just do it yourself!
The MUST have in my book for DSG is get the Malone tune. It fixed all the wonky stock behavior.

AudiNub

TDI
Let me know if you are in need of the cord to plug it in. I have one I can sell for half what I paid.
Does it have a block heater? My Duramax does, but I hadn't had a chance to check out if the TDI did. How much? Model number so i can check it out?

AudiNub

TDI
The timing service is EZ - if your handy just do it yourself!
So I am pretty good at DIY work (I used to be a Submarine mechanic, although I knew some really bad mechanics...), but I found a local VWAudi shop that has a really good reputation, and with it being in the upper 30s-40s here, I decided to have them go through the car and do the DSG service which is coming due, and all the 75K maintenance. I was going to have them look at the timing belt, and see if it needs replacement now, or if it can wait. If it can wait then i was thinking of tackling it in June when the weather is better and I can do it in the driveway.

The MUST have in my book for DSG is get the Malone tune. It fixed all the wonky stock behavior.
I found a place in Portland that does the Malone tune's (now Tunezilla?). I am thinking of getting the Stage 2 engine tune, plus the DSG tune. Is that what you have? I travel back to Oregon couple times a year, so it will have to wait until the next trip, but that's OK.

DSIre

Veteran Member
TDI
That looks really sweet! Check if they did the airbox thermostat recall. It really helps the drivability when cold. the original one would get stuck and not move the flap between outside air, and warm exhaust heated engine air.

DSIre

Veteran Member
TDI
The A3 has a coolant heater, similar to the Frostheater. Look for the outlet on the driver side foglight grill

AudiNub

TDI
That looks really sweet! Check if they did the airbox thermostat recall. It really helps the drivability when cold. the original one would get stuck and not move the flap between outside air, and warm exhaust heated engine air.
Will do!
The A3 has a coolant heater, similar to the Frostheater. Look for the outlet on the driver side foglight grill
Thats cool, Ill go check it out.

Tuheeden

Veteran Member
TDI
So I am pretty good at DIY work (I used to be a Submarine mechanic, although I knew some really bad mechanics...), but I found a local VWAudi shop that has a really good reputation, and with it being in the upper 30s-40s here, I decided to have them go through the car and do the DSG service which is coming due, and all the 75K maintenance. I was going to have them look at the timing belt, and see if it needs replacement now, or if it can wait. If it can wait then i was thinking of tackling it in June when the weather is better and I can do it in the driveway.

I found a place in Portland that does the Malone tune's (now Tunezilla?). I am thinking of getting the Stage 2 engine tune, plus the DSG tune. Is that what you have? I travel back to Oregon couple times a year, so it will have to wait until the next trip, but that's OK.
If you do a EGR/DPF delete then stage 2 is the engine is the way to go. The DSG tune all by itself is great. I tried different tunes without a delete and the DPF just gets clogged eventually so it's not worth it.
I recommend the timing service at 10 years or 120k miles is pretty safe.
The only other gotcha with the Audi is that it is probably a CBEA which has a balance shaft and oil pump shaft that can round off. Some people just change the shaft around timing belt service interval. Depends on how long you plan to have it. There are 2 different kits that solve this problem and the price is like $350 without labor.

Anyhow, nice looking ride!

AudiNub

TDI
Looks like after 2012 it was not included, so mine doesn't have a heater. No outlet near the foglight, and after some research it looks like they stopped including it standard. From what I understand, you don't need it until about -20F (although I would probably use it below 0F), it doesn't get below the teens during the fewest coldest days in winter, and after next month I will housing it in the garage.

AudiNub

TDI
If you do a EGR/DPF delete then stage 2 is the engine is the way to go. The DSG tune all by itself is great. I tried different tunes without a delete and the DPF just gets clogged eventually so it's not worth it.
I recommend the timing service at 10 years or 120k miles is pretty safe.
The only other gotcha with the Audi is that it is probably a CBEA which has a balance shaft and oil pump shaft that can round off. Some people just change the shaft around timing belt service interval. Depends on how long you plan to have it. There are 2 different kits that solve this problem and the price is like $350 without labor.

Anyhow, nice looking ride!
Well, I was going to do the Malone Stage 2 Tune, with the DSG tune, but I hadn't heard that about the DPF clogging. I can't delete it (yet), my area still does smog checks until at least July 1st. I will talk to the shop about the tune, maybe I'll do the just the DSG. Quick question, when you do DPF delete, does it cause black smoke out the exhaust?

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
smoke depends on the tune, but you'll definitely get a little if you floor it.

DSG tune is worth it no matter what; you can get all the stuff to DIY it through Malone.

Tuheeden

Veteran Member
TDI
If you do a DPF delete, go with a catalytic converter and a resonator. A stage 2 tune will not give you any black smoke (well maybe until full throttle but I am always looking forward...) You will get another 5 to 8 mpg with a delete and a tune and feels like a different car for sure.

AudiNub

TDI
smoke depends on the tune, but you'll definitely get a little if you floor it.

DSG tune is worth it no matter what; you can get all the stuff to DIY it through Malone.
I was looking at Malone (Tunezilla?), it looks like you have to buy the FlashZilla for $180 for the TDI tune, and rent a computer to do the DSG tune ($50 plus $1000 deposit). Did you do this?

AudiNub

TDI
If you do a DPF delete, go with a catalytic converter and a resonator. A stage 2 tune will not give you any black smoke (well maybe until full throttle but I am always looking forward...) You will get another 5 to 8 mpg with a delete and a tune and feels like a different car for sure.
Haven't really researched this a lot yet, but when you do the DPF delete, do you always do an EGR delete with it? You said go with a catalytic converter and resonator, what brand did you use?

Tuheeden

Veteran Member
TDI
I really like Rawtek kits but there are many others available.
Interestingly, you actually can keep most of the EGR during a DPF delete. If you live in cold climates, Malone offers a dynamic EGR option to the tune that helps.

However with the CBEA Audi A3, I am pretty sure the EGR that feeds part of the system gets removed during the DPF delete so you might not get much benefit because only the high pressure EGR feed to the intake manifold remains.

Tuheeden

Veteran Member
TDI
I was looking at Malone (Tunezilla?), it looks like you have to buy the FlashZilla for $180 for the TDI tune, and rent a computer to do the DSG tune ($50 plus $1000 deposit). Did you do this?
Yes you need the Flashzilla for the engine tune but the DSG I was able to find a dealer close enough to just have that done. If you the DSG yourself you have to rent the flash tool...hence the big deposit

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes. I have the tunezilla with both the Malone and stock tunes loaded on it, and I rented the transmission tuner to do the DCT tune. Super straightforward, the trickiest part is connecting the cable to the trans as its a bit fiddly.

Both are doable in a driveway with minimal tools.