Looking at a 2012 jetta sportwagon tdi

Mbmaring

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black
So what to look for looking at a 2012 jetta sportwagon tdi with 100,000 miles
Do they use Def fluid?
Is there a common problem at this millage that would need to be fixed like timing belt or anything.
Been away from the vw tdis for a while

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Oh man....

That model does not have SCR, so no DEF.

Common problems:

DPF failure

Turbocharger failure

Vane sensor failure

Intake manifold failure

DPF pressure sensors

EGR pressure sensors

Intercooler icing (which can destroy the engine)

Cylinder pressure sensors (part of the $150 apiece glow plugs)

Short battery life

All of the above made worse post Dieselgate after they "fixed" them.

We are also starting to see them needing things like thermostats (big job), engine harness issues (same as BRM cars, just more expensive), random temp sensor failures, some of which are a royal pain to replace.

Timing belt is routine PM, and is due every 120k miles.

I would NOT want one of these with the pano roof. They are fragile, they creak and pop in the cold, and they let FAR too much sunlight in (even if the sunshade has not yet broken) and turns the car into a greenhouse.

Mbmaring

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh man....

That model does not have SCR, so no DEF.

Common problems:

DPF failure

Turbocharger failure

Vane sensor failure

Intake manifold failure

DPF pressure sensors

EGR pressure sensors

Intercooler icing (which can destroy the engine)

Cylinder pressure sensors (part of the $150 apiece glow plugs)

Short battery life

All of the above made worse post Dieselgate after they "fixed" them.

We are also starting to see them needing things like thermostats (big job), engine harness issues (same as BRM cars, just more expensive), random temp sensor failures, some of which are a royal pain to replace.

Timing belt is routine PM, and is due every 120k miles.

I would NOT want one of these with the pano roof. They are fragile, they creak and pop in the cold, and they let FAR too much sunlight in (even if the sunshade has not yet broken) and turns the car into a greenhouse.
So would you steer clear of this model sounds preety bad

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I would go into it eyes wide open. I wouldn't kick my old ones to the curb (I drive 100 miles a day, I NEED reliable, durable, and efficient). And I would probably do a delete at the first hint of issues (more than likely, as soon as I got it, to be honest). At the very least I'd do a rollback reflash and maybe a cold weather intercooler kit if it had no other issues as of yet.

I don't do warranties.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
Timing belt would need replaced around that mileage.. yes. I think the book says 120k but some people would tell you to do it sooner. Do you live a mild climate area? 110 degree heat or below freezing probably ages things quicker than if you are in a mild climate. Regardless of miles, age is age. A 9 year old timing belt with zero miles on it is still 9 years old.

Hammer is correct about the pano with the sun. I'm thinking about just painting mine from the outside rather than tinting it. I don't understand the benefit of fancy ceramic tint versus just painting it. What it is I need to be seeing through that thing anyway..

A lot of modern cars have issues the same as a 2012 JSW. Probably smarter to just get a Camry, but what fun is that. If you have a AAA membership and a 2nd car to use if/when the VW goes down, then whats the problem. Save up all that fuel money you save by getting 45mpg and keep it in your piggy bank for repairs.

Last edited:

Mbmaring

Veteran Member
TDI
Timing belt would need replaced around that mileage.. yes. I think the book says 120k but some people would tell you to do it sooner. Do you live a mild climate area? 110 degree heat or below freezing probably ages things quicker than if you are in a mild climate. Regardless of miles, age is age. A 9 year old timing belt with zero miles on it is still 9 years old.

Hammer is correct about the pano with the sun. I'm thinking about just painting mine from the outside rather than tinting it. I don't understand the benefit of fancy ceramic tint versus just painting it. What it is I need to be seeing through that thing anyway..

A lot of modern cars have issues the same as a 2012 JSW. Probably smarter to just get a Camry, but what fun is that. If you have a AAA membership and a 2nd car to use if/when the VW goes down, then whats the problem. Save up all that fuel money you save by getting 45mpg and keep it in your piggy bank for repairs.
Ya I farm and have several pickups and trucks to drive. Thought it would be nice to have a tdi again to run back and forth from out lake cabin to farm and save on my pickups miles. I have had several tdis a 1999 jeta tdi 2001 tdi a 2005 passat tdi and a 2012 passat tdi. I kind of miss having a tdi.

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
my wagon has been nothing but reliable for 15k so far..........not without issues: just got the DPF & emissions all warrantied. @ just over 100k, you--like me--will be wanting to look at the front end, & brakes, and shocks all around.

get the VIN of any car you are looking at and take it to vwdiesellookup.com to see the warranty status and then call a dealer to see if there is any service history. have it scanned by an indy VW shop with the correct software to see it there are any trouble codes hiding. it is an involved car.

Mk4 cars are popular right now because they are proven and much more simple. good luck!

Mbmaring

Veteran Member
TDI
I would go into it eyes wide open. I wouldn't kick my old ones to the curb (I drive 100 miles a day, I NEED reliable, durable, and efficient). And I would probably do a delete at the first hint of issues (more than likely, as soon as I got it, to be honest). At the very least I'd do a rollback reflash and maybe a cold weather intercooler kit if it had no other issues as of yet.

I don't do warranties.
So what is it you delete?

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen tdi 6spd
Find one that just had its fix done(mileage wise), and take vw to the cleaners for the next 54000 miles. That's what I did.(and they were very accommodating, except vw of Boulder, CO- that place is ghetto). The turbo is the only thing on the warranty they didn't replace. And these cars drive great.