Longitudinal ALH Swap Motor Mounts

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Toyota LandCruiser LJ78 with ALH Swap
I am curious to know what people are using for motor mounts in their longitudinal layout ALH swaps (Toyota, Jeep, Suzuki, etc). I used Mercedes OM617 mounts in my Toyota LandCruiser swap, and after 3 years and about 25k miles the RH mount is beginning to collapse, causing the exhaust to contact the steering shaft under high load situations. Also, in my opinion these mounts, and probably this style in general, allow too much side-to-side movement of the engine. A full rework of the motor mounts is on the docket, but I would like to make sure I fix the problem once and for all. What did you use in your swap, how has it held up, and would you do it again?

Here is what I used:

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
The ALH I picked up came with some universal brackets that look like the tdconversions ones. I think I'm going to try their hydraulic mounts when I get to that point, some have said their poly ones vibrate a bit more. Although I'm doing poly everything else, so what's a little kidney massage?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
I used solid Toyota mounts, eBay aftermarket replacements for an 87 4runner 22re. No vibration issues.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
I've done several diesel to gas swaps over the years, normally 5.9L.cummins swaps fwiw. I've pretty much resigned to using engine mounts for a 89-92 dodge cummins. They hold up very well and are pretty compact, actually look like they would more or less bolt right up to what you are using.
You can saw the side tabs off of them, they arnt really needed in low power applications. More expensive versions / polly mounts don't even have the safty tabs in them.

03Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf, 92 Toyota swap (ongoing)
Would angling them in slightly towards the engine allow them to control side to side movement better? Usually I see the hydraulic style straight up like yours (mine are welded in like yours but can't comment since I'm at 0 miles)

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I've done several diesel to gas swaps over the years, normally 5.9L.cummins swaps fwiw. I've pretty much resigned to using engine mounts for a 89-92 dodge cummins. They hold up very well and are pretty compact, actually look like they would more or less bolt right up to what you are using.
You can saw the side tabs off of them, they arnt really needed in low power applications. More expensive versions / polly mounts don't even have the safty tabs in them.
These are the same ones I used in my swap. Surprisingly smooth for solid rubber.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Would angling them in slightly towards the engine allow them to control side to side movement better? Usually I see the hydraulic style straight up like yours (mine are welded in like yours but can't comment since I'm at 0 miles)
Yes, and I wish I had done mine like that but 99.99% of the time it's unnoticeable.

Koehn

TDI
2005 A4 Avant Quattro 6-Speed (AVF)
BHW engine mounts can be a bit pricey, but essentially any B5, B6, or B7 platform engine mount should work. The C4, C6 and C6 platforms probably use the same mounts too, maybe even the D platform.

I've got B6 S4 engine mounts holding the 1.9L in my B6 but I think the B5 S4 mounts are more recommended as they're a bit softer. My car rattles a lot at idle.

Here's a link to one of the 04-05 Passat TDI mounts (BHW) for reference. They basically all look the same though

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the input everyone! For those of you that used solid rubber mounts, did you mount them at an angle like is normal or vertical instead? I would like to stick with solid rubber rather than hydraulic for the sake of longevity. If if would work to mount them vertically I could avoid having to pull the engine and completely remake all the mounts.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
I've only ever done them mounted at an angle for the applications I used them, but that was more out of nessesity to keep the mounts real close to the engine. I didn't have the room you seem to have in your swap... much bigger engine in a real small hole.

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, my motor mount revision project came along a lot sooner than I expected. I was replacing my serpentine belt and idler pulley the other day and discovered that the LH motor mount bracket on the engine had sheared off where it bolts to the hydraulic mount. The plan at this point is to get it welded back together well enough to get me back on the road, and then make new RH and LH brackets to use with the Dodge rubber mounts mentioned above. I picked up one of those mounts at the local auto parts store today and was pleasantly surprised by how small it is. Clearance on the LH mount is currently quite tight, and using these smaller mounts should free up some space. I think the solid rubber will also drastically decrease the side to side movement I have currently, even mounted vertically.

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, and I wish I had done mine like that but 99.99% of the time it's unnoticeable.
I take this to mean yours are mounted vertically? That is my plan currently, since I should be able to reuse my frame perches without modification and won't have to remove the engine.

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Thats what I thought. Sorry to beat a dead horse, just wanted to make sure!

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I think an adapter with a provision for mounting to a cross member would be tha cats a$$. Like how the older Chevys truck bell housings were set up. I’ve seen large trucks set up like that. I think that would take a lot of torque wrap out