longevity of factory shocks and struts?

JettaDrvr

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
My 2000 Jetta has the original shocks and struts w/130,000 miles. Typically how long do the factory shocks and struts last?

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
mine has 162k miles and there OK but certainly need replacing. I know the strut mounts are worse off then the struts.

brent_strong

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Mine have 249k and are still pretty tight, but definitely need to be replaced. Mounts are shot though, as are control arm bushings.

VATechTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001 Silver (RIP!)
Mine lasted 40,000 miles. I replaced them with Bilstein (TC I believe?) and I'm now at 200,000 miles and they're still working fine. Still on original springs.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
some say the factory struts are good for about 0 miles
the springs should last indefinitely unless they delaminate or break

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
JettaDrvr said:
My 2000 Jetta has the original shocks and struts w/130,000 miles. Typically how long do the factory shocks and struts last?
Mine is at 113,000 miles. Unless they leak or lose gas, I am not changing shocks/struts mounting hardware till 200,000 miles. As people have noted, the mounting hardware tends to give out probably before the shocks and struts. Some things get under and sometimes over used, due to the economics of changing everything @ the same time. Since the labor charge is the same when you do it all at the same time, the other parts that would you would change also, are just a tad more.

Last edited:

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
I replaced just about everything on the suspension at 130k. Night and day, you don't notice there's a problem until it's fixed.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
VATechTDI said:
Mine lasted 40,000 miles. I replaced them with Bilstein (TC I believe?) and I'm now at 200,000 miles and they're still working fine. Still on original springs.
This was my scenario on my '00 Jetta. However, I did the replacement at 12k miles. What an improvement (with the TCs) !!

JettaDrvr

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
Speaking of TCs, I was looking at them, and have done alot of reading about Bilsteins. I read a few posts where people werent happy with them, but they didnt go into any detail as to what the problem was. Are they too stiff or something?

Joe Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
I have TC's and totally love them! I got the oem replaced at 112,000 miles, I only wish I had done it sooner!!!
It's just night and day. I thought the car bottomed out a lot cause it's so low. Indeed that is part of it, but mainly it was the worn struts, but since they get soft slowly, I didn't notice it. But I sure did notice the difference with the TC's.

JettaDrvr said:
Speaking of TCs, I was looking at them, and have done alot of reading about Bilsteins. I read a few posts where people werent happy with them, but they didnt go into any detail as to what the problem was.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
JettaDrvr said:
Speaking of TCs, I was looking at them, and have done alot of reading about Bilsteins. I read a few posts where people werent happy with them, but they didnt go into any detail as to what the problem was. Are they too stiff or something?
It might be an interesting discussion, but some folks go by whether or not they like the feel in comparison to the stock struts and shocks. Bilstein TC's (as well as the HD's) are decidedly stiffer than stock. There are a host of other considerations. So unless we want to cover some high points, one way to help decide is to go to a GTG and ask folks that have different shocks and struts how they like them and ask for a demo. Most folks have had the stock struts and shocks, so that is usually a normal point of departure for comparison.

Last edited:

dieselt

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, 2000, green
TC'S all the way around at 60k miles with station wagon springs. It is a little stiff but helped with trailer towing and ground clearance. The road surfaces in maine leave a lot to be desired.:mad:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
JettaDrvr said:
TCs are classified as an OEM replacement. They are 10 or 15% stiffer than original parts. If you want to go stiffer yet, look at the Bilstein HDs.

If cost is no object, look at a comprehensive solution: KONI FSD :)

ChiTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
Replaced factory unit @ 20k. TC's and new strut mounts are still going at 151k, but nothing lasts forever.

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
San Joaquin Valley, I have VCDS (KII-USB)
TDI
2003 ALH: 254,000 miles
I don't want to thread hijack, but...

would anyone like to comment on the longevity of their TCs?

I have seen some older threads about these and this seems to be a pretty controversial subject, so I understand if this is the wrong thread

for the past 30k miles I've been trying to decide between Bilstein TCs versus Koni Yellows (or maybe STR.Ts)

right now I'm leaning towards buying some Konis. HDs and FSDs are above my price range (for now) and this car is a daily driver

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just based on feel given you probably do the majority of your mileage as a daily driver, unless you have pristine roads: Koni REDS set to full soft. Don't like full soft? It can be adjusted, albeit you have to take off the struts. You still have to take the shocks off to adjust, but I have seen it done in a parking lot.

Keith_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta MT
I had BAD cupping on the rear at 80k miles. Replaced the fronts at 70k, should have done all 4 at that time.

Front was jumping on hard acceleration. HDs all around.

Get the Metalnerd spreader. I didn't and paid dearly with another mechanic's scar.

JettaDrvr

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
Nah youre ok....I plan on replacing the shocks and struts, I am considering the TCs, and if you find info that is valid and will help me reconsider that choice...then let it be known. Others I am looking at are Koni STR.T (aka Koni Street or Koni orange), Koni Reds, and Bilstein HD.

Sip'n Diesel said:
I don't want to thread hijack, but...

would anyone like to comment on the longevity of their TCs?

I have seen some older threads about these and this seems to be a pretty controversial subject, so I understand if this is the wrong thread

for the past 30k miles I've been trying to decide between Bilstein TCs versus Koni Yellows (or maybe STR.Ts)

right now I'm leaning towards buying some Konis. HDs and FSDs are above my price range (for now) and this car is a daily driver

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I agree with ruking (post#13).

For the original intent of this thread: I have 235k miles on original shocks and struts. They're not completely shot, and still do some damping (for example, they aren't cupping the tires), but they're mushy like the OEM ride was designed to be.

The strut mounts are junk and nearly failed me from the inspection I had to get done for licensing here in NH. Gotta replace all of it next summer.

Lower control arm bushings failed (just the rear puck, not the front one that never fails) and had to be replaced, about 11 months ago, IIRC. Just installing the TT solid puck bushings made a noticeable difference.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Doug Huffman said:
Is there an objective test for end of life?
In addition to seal leaks and physical damage, actually yes; a shock dyno test. It is just on the consumer level, not many know much about it. If you do a search on this web site and/or www.vortex.com Peter Pyce's treastise is a fascinating read. (Peter is/was a member like you or I.)

One upshot is he did two oem shocks dyno tests. One shock if I recall was BRAND new right off a new model TDI. The other shock was off a model with 95,000 miles. The shock with 95,000 miles was app 10% off the new one !!!!!! So the upshot was the USED shock was NOT SHOT !!! :eek:

As you probably know, Sachs is an oem vendor for VW struts and shocks. A sister product is Boge .http://www.sachsracing.com/ I know for a fact they also do the Corvette Z06 shocks. (Corvettes do not have struts) Despite being vilified for being oem "stock" and so called mushy, etc., etc, Sachs makes VERY high quality struts and shocks . But really its major obstacle is perception and has NOTHING to do with its real quality. This is of course a minority opinion despite the objective realities.

Last edited:

Nico3d3

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2001
I have the Bilstein TC on my car and they are doing a good job as far as I know. New shocks absorber coupled with new rear sway bar & lower control arm bushing gave me a brand new ride. I also had to change both front coil spring because one of them was broken and they only sell it in pair. That's what you get when are driving on the crappy road of Quebec.

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (PD/BEW)
Well, I have yet to replace them, but I just got a set of Koni Reds from TDIParts.... it may have to wait for warmer weather-- I have only 48K on my '05 PD Wagon, but have never been happy with the squishy ride. With the addition of a Dieselgeek skidplate, it seems even squishier.:mad:

I notice that VW says to replace most all bolts that have to be removed, and that on the right side, it's recommended to drop the axle shaft (and replace all those bolts, too)... any comments? Is this necessary?

Interesting to note that the shock/strut mounts seem to give out-- I'm now glad that TDIParts also included new mounts with the set! Per Peter's recommendation, I plan to set them up a bit from "full soft" when I put them on. (Firmer, yes, but not harsh...:D )

RiceEater

Veteran Member
TDI
gray 2k2 Jetta GLS
2k2 Jetta, >100k miles, original shocks and struts, no cupping of rear tires, with the original alloy wheels suspension still seems to be critically dampened or very slightly overdampened; definitely not underdampened.

2005TDI_1994IDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2005, Indigo blue
I changed my shocks, struts and all 4 springs at 20,000 miles. I should have done it when I drove off the dealer lot. I went with the Bilsteins HD with Shine springs. I can now actually drive the car without bottoming out.

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
Nico3d3 said:
I have the Bilstein TC on my car and they are doing a good job as far as I know. New shocks absorber coupled with new rear sway bar & lower control arm bushing gave me a brand new ride. I also had to change both front coil spring because one of them was broken and they only sell it in pair. That's what you get when are driving on the crappy road of Quebec.
The rods are not that bad hire of corse some cars just magically disappear in the manny pot holes but my struts are still ok at 100k it my aliment that gets shot all the time.