Longest commute.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
starting next week it will be 95 miles each way. closing on my house this week.

The mortgage company demanded an explanation of moving from 20 miles away in my rental house to buying 95 miles away. But its the house and property I want in retirement. (Attached Hanger) It will push me to retire sooner. hoping maybe 3 years.

joyjoy22

TDI
2015 Volkswagen Beetle

The mortgage company demanded an explanation of moving from 20 miles away in my rental house to buying 95 miles away. But its the house and property I want in retirement. (Attached Hanger) It will push me to retire sooner. hoping maybe 3 years.
You should always go for what you want.

Reactions: Ton

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige

Ok, maybe not having dealt with getting a mortgage I'm missing something, but I don't see how the length of your commute is any of the mortgage company's business...

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Mortgage company is looking at risk assessment to see how much risk there is of you not being able to pay back the loan. A much longer commute will affect fuel cost, insurance cost, vehicle cost (wear and maintenance), etc that take away from your ability to pay. Also consideration (much the way insurance will be higher for more miles driven) of the higher likely hood of incident or accident due to much higher distance traveled. Stats are the more you drive, the more likely you will have an accident.

Jason

Hawkins2015

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta , 00 Jetta
About 120 miles round trip for me. Takes roughly an hour and 15 minutes.

My friends from college think I'm crazy compared to their 20 min drive in the city.

shaark92

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, manual. '12 Jetta, DSG
210 mile commute. trips/week vary but usually no more than 3x/week. This has been the perfect car for that job. 14 years on the car ... 18 on the commute.

MO Treg

TDI
2014 Touareg
Pre-pandemic, I was doing 110 miles a day 3 days a week.

I bought the Touareg solely due to the commute.

Its just a bonus thats its more comfortable and drivable than the truck I traded it in for.

efeballi

TDI
2004 Seat Altea 2.0 TDI (BKD)
Before my Masters', I used to do day trips every week to Ankara for work, 250 miles each way. Plus circa 100 miles there running errands to suppliers and customers.
If you're buying your second full tank of diesel in the same day, you're driving a lot...

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I used to do do a 75-80 r/t 5 days a week. I had a guy I worked with and it was cheaper to take my car. The comment above about the inner Grinch reminded me about the guy I drove back and forth with me. In the morning I was blasting rock-n-roll, and on the way back I listened to something calmer. He asked me about my change of music and I basically said rock-roll was to get going and the other music was to mellow out on the drive back.

Trailbum

TDI
2004 Jetta
Before I retired in September, I was commuting 150 miles round trip per day, five days a week. I was putting 3000 miles per month on the '04 Jetta TDI.
It now has 420,000 miles on it and still looks, feels and drives like a fairly new car.
The original in tank fuel lift pump is dead and I'm waiting to run the tank down so I can replace it. I used to go through a tank of fuel every two or three days.... now it's every two or three weeks!!

djr6789

TDI
Passat B5 AFN
I do on average 20k a year but the most miles I've done in one day is ~940 in a mk4 golf 110tdi