Longest commute.

Ed27

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 4dr, 2000 2dr Golfs both 5 speed stick
Daughter does 70 round trip goes all week just above 1/2 tank ~65 when the lead is not in the foot.

My_name_is_Rob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 A4 Quattro
I've done a 79 mile (127 km) commute one way for the last 1.58 years (158 miles daily). Tomorrow will be my last time making the trip, as i have taken a transfer starting June 1st. ��

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I've been doing ~100 round trip a day for 24 years. Mostly [high speed] highway. It actually takes no longer time wise than it did when I lived in the city and was only 17 miles from work.

The only good thing to come from this virus nonsense is my evening commute is much quicker since there is so much less traffic, so I can take the highway all the way home. I normally take some back roads because I do not have to deal with the traffic (and it is fun).

One of my customers does 112 miles each way every day except Friday.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
My commute is only 10 miles one way, but once I get to work I’m all over the place putting between 100-200 miles per day on my little diesel, depending on the day and what happens.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
103-110 round trip for me, depending on exact route.

Traffic definitely lighter the last couple months, but we all could have done without the reason for it.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I've done one stretch where our house was in NC, and I worked in DC during the week (240 miles each way), and I've also had a daily commute of 60 miles each way.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Until 13 weeks ago I was doing 140km/day (87mi) round trip. Since working from home it's down to 2 flights of stairs :D

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Until I retired 12 years ago, I was doing 85 miles round-trip commute (33 years and 5 months). Plus, on average, I drove fairly close to 1000 miles per month on the job.

A former co-worker (retired now) drove 142 miles round-trip for 34 of the 36 years of his career. About 25 years ago, the Lexington Herald did a story on high-mileage vehicles and long commutes. His vehicle was one of those featured in the story!

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I bought my Y2k Golf back when I was doing a commute that was 55 miles or 1 hour, whichever took longer. 12 years ago, when I moved to NH, I was doing about 4 miles each way, for a short period of time (9 months) it was about 15 miles each way, and then until about 4 years ago it was 2.2 miles each way, except for 4 months of the year when I rode my bicycle. For these shorter commutes I would take a scenic route home so that the way home was at least 6 miles because I felt the 2 miles was abusive in the cold.

For the last 4 years, until the outsourcing company fired me in favor of higher profit margins and lower service levels (the last part I don't think they really cared about and the client was/is too foolish to care), I had a 15 second commute because I was doing it from home. That was nice. My total annual mileage was only about 2500 miles, total, unless I took a road trip somewhere. And I still paid too much in car insurance.

Cheers,

PH

rwthomas1

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta
After 18yrs of never working more than 20min from home (construction), I retired to a new job. 84 mile round trip each day. Almost all at highway speeds. I actually enjoy it. Just picked up a motorcycle after 20yrs not riding as the commute is quite pleasant. Save the TDI miles for wet and cold weather.

RT

CRJjockey

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI 5-speed, 2003 Golf TDI 5-speed
When I was a full-time reservist (Active Guard and Reserve) in the Army, My drive was 399 miles (door to door) from south of Boston to the Finger Lakes of upstate NY. Worked M - F then drive back for the weekend for all the kids’ activities. Did this for 6 years until Uncle said I was having too much fun in NY and sent me to Battle Creek, Michigan, Didn't even think of even attempting that commute.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Hmm, 210 miles a day from just west of Sacramento to Freemont in California SF bay area. Did that for a few months in a gas Civic and Ca gas prices, before I switched jobs and got commute down to 40 miles a day. Really sucked as an apprentice and big chunk of pay cheque is going to gas.

Bounced around from 1 mile or two to 10-15 miles over the last 10 years. But now it's 80 miles a day in a 1.8T Jetta. Likes PUG but will take RUG. But that's the trade off for getting bigger, newer house that doesn't cost close to 750k or sit on a postage stamp sized lot.

Jason

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
My work commute was 90 miles/day round trip from 1978 to 2004. Then I was transferred to another plant and my work commute was 150 miles/day round trip from 2004 to 2018. In 2018 I retired!!! Now I go several weeks before filing up and I love it. :D

:)

mijbil

TDI
2006 Jetta
CYXE to CYEG

A guy I used to work with would commute from Saskatoon SK to Edmonton AB - 525 KM. Not every day but several times per month. He rolled over 1 000 000 - correct a million - on his old diesel

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
A guy I used to work with would commute from Saskatoon SK to Edmonton AB - 525 KM. Not every day but several times per month. He rolled over 1 000 000 - correct a million - on his old diesel
My bro-in-law used to make a ~200km commute from his place in San Diego to Beverly Hills (northern part of LA, just before the hump into the SF Valley)...depending on when he hit the road, it could easily be a longer (time-wise) drive than that Yellowhead "commute" between 'toon-town and Edmonton.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Sometimes my daily commute has me driving from San Francisco Bay Area to San Diego while other days I just find myself staying in NorCal and only putting 400 miles in a day of client visits.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Sometimes my daily commute has me driving from San Francisco Bay Area to San Diego while other days I just find myself staying in NorCal and only putting 400 miles in a day of client visits.
Wow! That's a LOT of driving!

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Wow! That's a LOT of driving!
... and this is why I drive and love my VW Tdi. My goal is to get to 1 million miles on one of my vehicles. Combined I am almost 3/4 of the way there, but I would just love to see the odometer go to 999999.9 . It was quote nice to see it turn 500,000 miles.
The cars have been mostly trouble free: regular timing belts, oil changes, 3 sets of brakes on the sedan and 2 on the wagon, 1 alternator, 1 clutch on each car (due to power enhancements) and a few other replacements duel to incidents and not defective parts.

TDI
2002 1.9L Jetta TDI
Wow. I thought my total of 44 miles a day was a lot and at first i dreaded having 30 minutes to work instead of 20. Come to find it allows my inner Grinch to calm down before i arrive at the shop. Getting up early makes me grumpy especially when people talk my ear off immediately after waking up.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The A4's cars' odometers stops counting around 621k miles, just FYI. Because VDO thought a million kilometers was as high as was needed (the display gets converted last second to miles for us dumb 'murricans). But Bosch evidently had more faith in Volkswagen, because their EDC15 ECU keeps on counting... so if you want to see the true mileage after the odo gives up, the ECU will continue to store it and is accessible via suitable scan tool. There was some discussion a while back about figuring out how to add some more virtual memory into the cluster, but not sure anything ever became of that.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
126 miles round trip in the last 12 years, thanks to frugal VW TDI I have been driving, I can't complain much except the stop and go traffic on the way home sometimes forces you to shift way too many times. However, the transmission, engine and other aspects of the vehicle are holding pretty well after 10 years and 260K miles.

15TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Started at 150 round trip for 5 days a week, currently down at 80 miles round trip for 5 days a week. 90% highway, hoping to see 300k out of the 15 GSW.

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
Typically 200km/2 hours Monday morning to get to work office (we tend to measure distance in hours here) then another 5 hours to wherever I'm working for the week, then about 6 hours home Thursday night. "Heavy traffic" in this area usually means an occasional semi hauling logs or gravel, usually coming the other way spraying rocks at windshield