London GTG Sept 17th

RichCA

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL, 2002, Red
Well, looks like I may be able to make it for this gtg (80% chance). I'll probably drive down and so will my gf.
I can bring my pela, vag com, and hopefully my motive brakle bleeder (if it arrives in time). I've never used one before so is there anyone that's coming that can do my brake fluid change?
Also, if anyone can sell me and install a dawes device please let me know.

Thanks,

Rich

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
If your Motive doesn't arrive, I'll bring mine...

I've also got a couple of extra cans of the ATE Super Blue fluid, if anyone needs any... (picked it up at the NH GT from Danix...)

Yuri.

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV golf
RichCA could i borrow that pela of urs... i'll definately need an oil change by then. Do i need to change the brake fluid too if i am changing front brake pads?

RichCA

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL, 2002, Red
You don't need to change the fluid but you're supposed to change it every 2 years. Both my car and my gf's need a brake fluid change.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Re: Speaking of GTGs; don\'t we meet by London any more

Gerry: Would there happen to be a power car-wash anywhere near your place, in case I get adventurous and decide to clean my intake manifold? (I'm taking a wild guess that it may need it - 29.7 months old)

Yuri.

meekats

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2002 Golf TDI
OK, so I might be coming. What do you say we name that day "Timing belt change for PC PCK"?

Kayakkermit

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2002, Silver
How long does it take / what do I need to purchase to do an intake cleaning? ie gaskets/bolts/cleaner etc?
I've got two cars I need to do now, don't know if I will attempt on Saturday or not but the info is appreciated.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Timing belts are pretty involved. We generally don't like doing them at GTGs, as they take a couple of hours for the first time around (heck they take a few hours if it's not your first time either). Don't expect anyone to do the work for you. You'll have to do the work yourself, but members will be more than happy to stand around, watch, and give you pointers. Don't get me wrong, last year at this GTG at least one timing belt was done...but the member I believe also said they wouldn't want to do it again at a GTG.

RichCA: If you want a Dawes-like device which works just as well, PM Gerry (Diesel Dazzler) before the GTG. He makes an MBC himself. I use it on my car with zero issues. (It's an MK3, but it'll work just as well on an MK4)

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
How long does it take / what do I need to purchase to do an intake cleaning? ie gaskets/bolts/cleaner etc?
I've got two cars I need to do now, don't know if I will attempt on Saturday or not but the info is appreciated.
Intake cleaning isn't a quick job really. Apparently it's a bit of a sore-back maker. You can get a new gasket, but it isn't necessary, as long as you don't ruin the old one (it's metal). The bolts CAN strip when you try and get them out, so be prepared with new bolts. They'll take a few days to come into the dealership, as last I checked, they weren't in the Toronto depot.

It's a lot of bending over, etc, but I have seen it done at a previous GTG. I am debating whether or not to do mine soon. 200000 km, but no big hesitation at higher RPMs, etc. I'm sure something's in there, though.

One tool you should have, though is an allen driver with the rounded heads. Makes things less likely to strip a bolt.

Kayakkermit

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2002, Silver
Thanks John for the info. I think I read about the round head allen driver once before, but had forgotten that. I'll have to check the walkthrough and see if it lists the size.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Its a 6mm. I have a set in my TB tool kit than Nelson or Jason will be bringing to the GTG.
I must have the worst luck when it comes to GTG's this year. I work M-F all summer long and the one weekend I need off, I have to work a Saturday. Those darne senior emplyess back from vacation
. I am really bummed about missing yet another one of Gerys GTG's. I will try to find someone to switch shifts, but it doesn't look good.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you would be so kind as to bring the power washer, that would help (although driving to a commercial car-wash may be better on account of the dirt)...

Although we'll be up over 230,000 km by Saturday (I will have owned the car exactly 2-1/2 years that day!!), I keep hoping that perhaps it isn't clogged enough to warrant taking it off and cleaning it... yes, I know... keep dreaming...

I've got a manifold gasket and a couple of spare bolts...

I'll take aspirins _before_ I leave home...

Yuri.

TDI'er

Veteran Member
TDI
01 New Beetle TDI, 93 Toyota Estima 2.2TD
Hi Yuri,

230k in 2.5 years!? Do you live in the car or what?

I do about 40/60 city/highway driving. I took my intake out for cleaning at ~174k (1st time for the intake manifold and 2nd time for the EGR body) and it wasn't bad at all. The EGR body was cleaned once at ~96k and it had 2-3mm of tar at 174k. The intake runners were much cleaner than the EGR (probably not worth the effort of cleaning). I didn't notice any performance difference afterwards.

To make the cleaning job easier, just make sure you have a big bucket and a few litres of gasoline on hand. A bottle brush will be really helpful too. Make sure you remove all the plastic/rubber parts and soak the metal parts in gas for a while then brush. You shouldn't need a power washer for the job.

If you're careful, you should be able to re-use all the bolts. I'd replace all the gaskets though since they're quite inexpensive, especially the one between the exhaust cooler and the EGR body (my was leaking and so was a friend's).

You'll also lose some coolant so come prepared with some G12 and distilled water.

I don't think I'll be able to make it for this one, so I'll leave Nigel's tools with Jason.

Nelson

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
I vote that the next GTG will happen at Nigel's place of work. At least that way, we know he'll show up!
Would be nice to see your face at a GTG again, Nigel.
If you can't make it, well, that's a bit of a downer. Always nice to see the core members come out.

sat2825

Veteran Member
I'd love to come guys.. been a while since I attended a GTG, but unfortunately I'm in a sailing regatta to Rochester this weekend..
If we can plan the next one a few weeks in advance (or even a month) that would be great, and I'll make sure I'm there..
Would be nice to catch up on the latest with all the members..

Have a great GTG, and looking forward to the next one..

Cheers,
Joe

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I vote that the next GTG will happen at Nigel's place of work. At least that way, we know he'll show up!
Would be nice to see your face at a GTG again, Nigel.
If you can't make it, well, that's a bit of a downer. Always nice to see the core members come out.
Well, I'll just have to host the next one myself then won't I. At least then I will be guaranteed to make it
. I just need to clean my garage before I let anyone near it. My wife yells at me everytime i leave the garage door open, its such a mess inside.

meekats

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2002 Golf TDI
I was just kiddin' anyway. I'm going to Montreal in a couple of weeks and I'll get my TB done at Cobourg

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Really wish I could make it, but of course, I can't
Please post pictures from the GTG. Vik, if you are reading, r u going?

Gerry, has Mr. Mailman brought you something special yet?

DIESEL DAZZLER

Veteran Member
TDI
81VW TDI PU,94 GOLF TDI,97 PASSAT TDI,03 ,06 JETTA TDI's,KABOTA DIESEL LAWNMOWER
Really wish I could make it, but of course, I can't
Please post pictures from the GTG. Vik, if you are reading, r u going?

Gerry, has Mr. Mailman brought you something special

yet?
NO he has not,soon I hope.
Now let's not all bail out at once

ALCO

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 A3 Jetta, silver/2005 B5 Passat, silver
I'd like to make this one. Gerry's GTG's are always fun. Gotta work though.

As usual, guess I'll catch up with you guys when the cold weather starts coming on.

je

Veteran Member
TDI
-
Will bring the tools, the cam-turner, tensioner-turner, cam-lock, allen wrenches... Nigel doesn't live too far from home or work, which is odd to return them there. Wouldn't mind help with suspension while there too (from anyone, not just Nigel).

Now how about food. I'll bring:
Banana Loaf (won't forget the baking powder this time)

Kayakkermit

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2002, Silver
Make "Plan A". Have surprise "Plan B" come up. Cancel "Plan A". Watch "Plan B" become unfeasable. Beat self with stick. Repeatedly.
Revert to "Plan A".

Guess I'll be seeing you guys Saturday!

What is the planned time for the Toronto Posse to show up?

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Jason, I also have some suspension work to do, and would like to pick a few brains for info.....shocks are due to be done, and I have a sloppy bushing on my rear table. I have 220,000 kms, and the whole thing is original with exeption of the sway bar bushings....highway driving is kind to these machines.

Craig