lol addblu

DEAD-BROKE

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat TDI 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbo-diesel
so i finally get around to doing the 60k service on my 13 sel tdi and when i go to fill up the adblue it's only down about a 1/4 inch below the filler cap, so that means in 11505 miles i used about 2 teaspoons of add blu.
yes i am the only driver and i'm the only one that has access to my car and i keep the safety lock on the trunk because i store my gun there (only when i have to )
car runs perfect mid 40's mpg, no codes, just a normal driving tdi that has used zero adblue in 11505 miles.
should i be worried or should i even care.
oh one thing i have noticed when in sport mode (S) if i apply ever so slight pressure on the gear selector i can make the backup camera come on,,,D'oh

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Something does not sound right here. When I add more DEF at my 10K oil changes it takes a full 2.5 gallon container. However the last time I added DEF it only took about 2.25 gallons - could not get that last bit in as it was filled to the brim. It should use much more than two teaspoons of DEF fluid over 10K miles. And before you ask - mine has not had the fix done yet FWIW.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Something is wrong, do not know why it has not set some sort of reductant dosing fault though.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
So- the conclusion I must draw to the OP is that the SCR system isn't working. Apart from being curious (a la "oilhammer") as to why it's not throwing some kind of code, my reaction is to just ignore it and drive on....unless there are any negative consequences to the emissions system from the system being down. Our '13 Passat uses what appears to be a nominal amount of DEF (2.5 gal. per 10K miles). We have no fix, nor is any planned.

DEAD-BROKE

Veteran Member
TDI
So- the conclusion I must draw to the OP is that the SCR system isn't working. Apart from being curious (a la "oilhammer") as to why it's not throwing some kind of code, my reaction is to just ignore it and drive on....unless there are any negative consequences to the emissions system from the system being down. Our '13 Passat uses what appears to be a nominal amount of DEF (2.5 gal. per 10K miles). We have no fix, nor is any planned.
i went back in my records and i added just under 3 gallons when i did the 50K service.
car runs perfect so i'll continue to drive it.

madmax951

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
I kept my 2014 Passat TDI SEL because Diesels are exempt here in Texas. How many times can you buy a new car and 3 years later they give you almost $10,000 back! I love the car too, I tried to find something in the 35K range and there is nothing out there that compares to the VW Turbo Diesel with DSG transmission combo. So in the end I bought my VW Passat for $24,000 a fully loaded SEL!

WOW!

Matt M

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I'm sure there other more knowledgeable people, but could it be possible that the DEF has crystallized and caused a blockage, therefore no DEF being used?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I'm sure there other more knowledgeable people, but could it be possible that the DEF has crystallized and caused a blockage, therefore no DEF being used?
Possible, but it should throw a code since the system would see nothing happening when it doses. More likely is that the blockage is in the top and somehow it is keeping that liquid bit in the filler neck.

DEAD BROKE, are you able to look at the DEF level with VCDS? You may be just about empty, but at some point it would tell you that you are getting low. Unless the level sender is stuck somehow.

I know it sounds ludicrous, but it's what came to mind as I was typing.

Curiouser and curiouser..

DEAD-BROKE

Veteran Member
TDI
Possible, but it should throw a code since the system would see nothing happening when it doses. More likely is that the blockage is in the top and somehow it is keeping that liquid bit in the filler neck.

DEAD BROKE, are you able to look at the DEF level with VCDS? You may be just about empty, but at some point it would tell you that you are getting low. Unless the level sender is stuck somehow.

I know it sounds ludicrous, but it's what came to mind as I was typing.

Curiouser and curiouser..
no vcds so no way of telling. honestly i'm not going to worry about it.
i'll just continue to drive it and see what happens.
i do have to start another thread with questions about the DSG.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The ECU monitors NOx reduction across the deNOx catalyst via NOx sensor values pre and post. So if the NOx reduction is not taking place, it should know. And DEF works pretty good to reduce NOx if you watch those sensor values.

I have no idea why the ECU has not flagged some sort of DTC, unless it already has, and has not yet sent an MIL request. But that request usually comes pretty quickly, as something like this I would imagine is a two-trip detection logic.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
not even a fix, dpf delete + tune and pocket some $?
The OP has stated no plans to do the fix so they won't be able to "pocket some $" if you meant getting buyback / fix reimbursement money? :confused:

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
Was the OP at the dealership for any reason? My dealership tops off DEF every time I go there. That's great but I have 5 gallons of ad-blue getting old in the basement. My last free service today though so I will get to use it soon.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Was the car bought used? Could it have a delete tune installed but be retaining all the emissions hardware? Perhaps to pass it off as a functional system? This would explain no usage and no MIL lamp.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Side note, our stage 1 fix '15 Passat is creeping up to 8K, no low adblue warning yet.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Side note, our stage 1 fix '15 Passat is creeping up to 8K, no low adblue warning yet.
Don't want to nitpick, but the Stage 1 name is usually referred to with a ECU tune.
PHASE 1 is the software fix for VW's.
Phase 2 will be extensive exhaust work in 2018.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
I went 11k with no ad blue warning. Dealership changed the oil and topped of the DEF so I don't know how far down it was

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Don't want to nitpick, but the Stage 1 name is usually referred to with a ECU tune.
PHASE 1 is the software fix for VW's.
Phase 2 will be extensive exhaust work in 2018.

valid point, phase 1 fix performed and still low DEF consumption .

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
On my ‘13 passat, in 22,000 miles pre-Fix I also consumed virtually no DEF fluid. Never had a code or CEL as a result.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As for DEF consumption I will soon know better after I finish my annual 3,000 mile one way trip south. I'll fill before I leave and again once I am at my destination. Then I'll be able to compare to last years pre-Phase 1 fix usage.

I use pretty well the same route every year. Same hills etc.

Last edited: