Lodging - Grand Summit Resort

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
We booked Wednesday............... see ya'll Friday afternoon!

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Booked standard room for 3 nights Friday, sat & sun for the two of us.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
We are about 60% of the way through out room block at the hotel. Be sure to make your reservation by August 9th to take advantage of our great rates.

I got a little wake-up call regarding hotel prices on my cross-country trip. Getting anything for under $100/night anywhere resembling civilization was difficult, even with a AAA discount, unless it was a Motel 6 or a seedy dump. I think our average rate for 7 nights was around $120 and those were Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Inn, Best Western-type places. I definitely have a renewed appreciation for the rates being offered at Sunday River. :cool:

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
Are there any additional camping suggestions?
If you really want to camp on the cheap, there are several primitive camping areas in the National Forest, in Evans Notch (called, Basin, Cold River, Wild River are campgrounds, then along the trails there are more really primitive sites) , just south of Sunday River, that are either really cheap or free, but they are usually first come first served. Although I think some of the areas allow reservations online. Keep in mind that this is Labor Day Weekend - a big camping weekend up here, so chances of finding openings are pretty slim this late in the game. The first come first served ones usually fill up by about 10 AM Friday morning before long holiday weekends. Unless its raining, then you'll probably be in luck. Note that on the website it says that Hasting trailhead is closed while they replace a bridge that got washed out. Here's the site: http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/eastern/wm.htm
There is a pretty nice but a little more expensive camp ground a little to the east of Bethel, along Rt 2, called Stony Brook. http://stonybrookrec.com I've stayed there before and it is decent. They also may be fully booked for that weekenbd though.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Just a reminder that our group reservation discount is scheduled to expire at the end of this week - Friday, August 9th. I'll be finding out tomorrow if we can get a one week extension and will post the information once I find out. :)

Also, this event is a fundraiser for the forums (notice that we don't have any advertisements and popups?) and we still have 71 room-nights to fill. If you're on the fence, make your reservation and join us for a weekend of fun! :D

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Update! Room block extension.

The hotel has been gracious enough to extend our room block by one week. The new deadline for guaranteed rates and availability is now 5pm Eastern on Thursday, August 15th. :cool:

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Anybody want to split a room for the weekend? Feel free to PM me.

Also trying to piggyback on a work trip, so I am still finalizing it.

skoullias

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously: 03 2dr 5sp 357,xxx; Current: B5.5V 116,xxx
Campground Plot Share

I'm staying at a small private/commercial campsite about 10 miles/12 minutes from the hotel. The plot I've reserved has space for another 4 people/tents, at $25/night (add $5/night per person after the 2nd person), divided by the number of people (i.e. 2ppl/$12.50 night, 3ppl/$10night, 4ppl/$8.75night, 5ppl/$8night - and a shared $5 booking fee). It's by a river, and there are facilities (bathroom/shower). I've only booked the place for myself (had two maybes that fell through) for Friday and Saturday nights, but I'm confident the campsite would be eager to extend the booking on either end.

If you have the money please support the club and the event by staying at the hotel! If you're looking to save a few bucks, send me a PM.

Let's just hope the weather will be nice.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The room block gets released back to general sales this afternoon. You can still call and make a reservation - if space is available, our group rate will be honored. Mention group code "85b22m" when you call.