Locked rear door

golfclub

TDI
2000 TDI Golf
I have the common problem of not being able to unlock my rear
door by any normal method. I've tried banging on it too.
My question is, can the lock cylinder cover (the smaller one) be removed without
damaging it from the outside by just prying on it?
If so I will try to move the internal latch lever with a rod or something.

Thanks

Peter

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Yes you can, you might break the two little tabs on either side cover but the cover can be glued on with some RTV.

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A6 Avant BHW 6 speed manual, 2003 Golf ALH 506k miles
Drill a small hole through the plastic liner on the inside of the vehicle slightly to the right of center. Then insert a small screwdriver into that hole and move the metal end toward the center. This will manually onlock the hatch. I believe that dust and moisture get into the lock mechanism and prevent it from working properly. Periodic spraying of lube into the lock through the hole will help prevent malfunction in the future.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
You got a pic of doing this?

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
No, When I was finally able to open the hatch when it randomly decided I could, I took the plastic liner off of the inside to see how the mechanism worked. If you pm some contact info to me I'll try to make a video to send to you.

golfclub

TDI
2000 TDI Golf
Thanks for the replies.
Just to clarify, I am talking about the drivers side rear door, not the rear lid.

Peter

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
I thought you meant the rear hatch.