Lock Problem

tdikypaul

TDI
2006 Jetta
Yesterday when using my valet key, and a little later my switchblade key, my lock turned a complete 360+ in both directions without unlocking the car. Here is a little background.

I carry the valet key with me when I go running and did so yesterday.

Temperature < 15 F
Time away from vehicle - about an hour
Used the valet key to lock the vehilce prior to running
I had trouble getting the key into the lock - thought it was frozen, warmed up the key and was able to get it into the lock at which time it just turned in a complete circle (both ways).

I had a friend take me home so that I could get the other key fob - the fob unlocked the door.

Approximately 1 1/2 hours later both keys manually unlocked the door.

What is going on?

Airliner

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 1.9TDi Avant Quattro 2001 silver
Marauderer said:
I dunno, but when you find out please post so the rest of us can learn from you.

TIA,
It's a VAG "feature". When there is water inside the lock, and it freezes, it "expands" a tab that will prevent the lock to "engage" to the rest of the mechanism. Crappy explanation, but you know what I'm trying to tell.

The same thing has happened to me. Try to spray a liquid into the lock which get rids of the water (while it's not frozen).

Marauderer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta "Diesel Edition"
Airliner said:
It's a VAG "feature". When there is water inside the lock, and it freezes, it "expands" a tab that will prevent the lock to "engage" to the rest of the mechanism. Crappy explanation, but you know what I'm trying to tell.

The same thing has happened to me. Try to spray a liquid into the lock which get rids of the water (while it's not frozen).
I knew you were out there Airliner. Thanks for the tip.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Airliner said:
If that is it and I believe it is likely it, then I suggest a three part fix. #1 use WD-40. The WD is for water displacement and it does that well. The problem with WD-40 is it is a poor (very short lived) lube and can gum up the works over time. #2 gets rid of the WD-40. Us a zero residue cleaner. Try Radio Shack, they are common electronics cleaners. #3 properly lube the lock with a dry lube like graphite. LockEase (sp?) will do. The liquid will evaporate clean.

v70rsik

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI..soon TDI
Airliner said:

LAst Tuesday I dropped the car off at the dealer with the valet key. 30 minutes later they called me saying that i had given them the wrong key as the valet key was just spinning inside the lock. (I know its the right key cause i only own 1 VW and ive used it other times when dropping off the car). They used WD40 to try and get it open but did not work. Still to this day (5 days later) i still cannot open the door. I dont really like squirting liquids that dry out the lock mechanism if i dont have to.

Once the temperature gets a bove freezing, should this "tab" recedea and allow me to open my doors. What is the benifit of this feature, not to cool if it leaves the owner stranded.

Thanks for your help.