Living that TDI Swap life...

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
At first glance I thought you’re heading said “leaving “, not living. I was ready to dip into my savings account

Nozzleman

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Ford Ranger ALH
Great work! I keep pondering doing one, as if I need another project. Kind of leaning towards a TDI ATV right now.

I assume you cut the firewall to keep from having to move everything forward to clear the vacuum pump?

What gears in the diffs?

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta wagon, 1949 willys cj3 ALH TDI swap
Great work! I keep pondering doing one, as if I need another project. Kind of leaning towards a TDI ATV right now.

I assume you cut the firewall to keep from having to move everything forward to clear the vacuum pump?

What gears in the diffs?

Thank you! I wanted to kept the engine back is far as possible so I had room to run the alternator backwards and so I didnt need to move the transmission crossmember or make new driveshafts. Yes, by keeping it back I had to modify the firewall so I could access the vacuum pump, cam and water neck. My jeep isn't original at all so this didnt bother me. I have 5.38 gears in the axles... I'm running a t18 4-speed and an auxiliary overdrive so I have decent crawl ratio of 82:1 but still have a comfy cruising speed. These jeeps arent really designed to go fast but it can keep up with traffic way better than it did with the gas engine. the trails and country roads are where it shines.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
At first glance I thought you’re heading said “leaving “, not living. I was ready to dip into my savings account
I just sold my Mercedes diesel Jeep back in December. I'm kind of attached to this one. My wife would kill me if i sold it! haha!

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Excellent Video! Your Jeep looks incredible. Makes my Audi TT -> TDI conversion look simple compared to what all you did. Thanks for sharing the video.

Eric

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
That's really a nice swap. I want to do another swap sometime... i have done a few back in the day.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Cool video and nice project - Thanks for sharing.

I'm sure this is obvious to the off-road crowd, but what are all the shift levers for (I think there were 4 of them?).
Thanks! Front left to right... transmission/auxiliary overdrive/2wd4wd/hi-low range.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Wow, that thing is awesome!

For teaching yourself how to tig, you seem to be a great teacher and student. How long did unit take to get the hang of it? I bought the same welder years ago, and never fired it up.

-Todd