Little Pittsburgh Clan

Hoffer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Black
pghvdubguy95 said:
is anyone from the Pittsburgh area planning on going to tdi fest???
I'm planning on going out for at least Saturday. I'll be bringing the RallyVW TDI with me.

pm22071985

Veteran Member
TDI
nozzle swap

How yenz doin?

Can I have a little Vag-com help please???

I'm gonna attempt a sprint 520 nozzle swap into one of the NB's this weekend. I've got my slide hammer, fuel line wrench and DIY guide from the club. Is anybody near the churchill/forest hills area willing to help via vagcom and adjust the idle and egr after I do the nozzle swap? I have the directons in the DIY, it seems straight forward, I'm assuming it willl take you maybe 10min.

Thanks

pm22071985

Veteran Member
TDI
I would but don't have the tools for that.
Had Aaron install a pair into the jetta without doing the pop test and they run great. I think you can also check how much each injector is fueling with vagcom after the nozzle swap to clarify if everything is working ok.
I guess I'll find out.

Stirer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Platinum Gray GLS
Depending on the year (pre PD you only have one injector report status). I do have a VCDS but am in Cranberry, nowhere near you. Sorry.

pm22071985

Veteran Member
TDI
Results

2-for 2. It went pretty good. With the slide hammer, fuel line wrench, and vice, pulling injectors & swapping nozzles is pretty easy.

For beetle #1 (silver, already rc2): I did this car first b/c it was already "tuned" as if the bigger injectors were in it. Took 1 hr to nozzle swap, majority of that time is cleaning the engine/injector bodys. Cranked for about 2 seconds. The car fired up and ran real smooth, no smoke, performance is great. Then removed intake, cleaned it, installed a diesel geek race pipe and removed all the egr stuff, replaced all the coolant. Also put on a street toys OMI. Not a bad day, car is alot more fun to drive. I've since put about 600 miles on the car and got around 46mpg.

For beetle #2 (black, no RC): Swapping nozzles took about 40min, but had to crank for about 2 min to start. Then car ran smooth with a nice increase in power. Car now shudders a little when rolling in neutral. This used to happen to the silver beetle prior to getting a RC. I've spent the past few days reading up on the shuddering-neutral roll, common causes I've found listed are adjusting IQ (hammer mod), DMF dying, crappy fuel filter. I think getting a little RC2 this weekend will fix the problem, its probable an IQ thing. The fuel filter is maybe 2 months old, and clutch was fine before the swap. Car runs great, no smoke, good power, good mpgs. Not really sweating it, but will listen to any advice/ideas on the matter.

If I'm in town, I wouldn't mind helping anybody that needs it when doing a nozzle swap or intake clean/egr delete. With the special tools its a simple job. This was also the first time I did an intake clean on my own . It's more of a PITA than the injectors, but still easy. Its great not having any of the egr junk, the engine has alot less clutter and is easier to look around at stuff.

Thanks tdileadfoot for the vagcom offer, next time I'm in the burgh I may try and bum a read off of you.

Jedda03SGP

TDI
2003 Jetta
PghTDI-ers, good to see this thread, just stumbled on it. Was looking for front strut assemblies. Anyone know of a site that sells entire strut/coil/bearing plate assemblies, ready to install?? Got a tired coil on one side, just wanna change 'em out for new ones.
TIA, TDredI.

Jedda03SGP

TDI
2003 Jetta
pm, thanks for the links. I will check them out...good price on the set of 4....anybody have first hand knowledge of these Cofap's ??

khyron

TDI
2005 Golf GLS (tiptronic), 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL (DSG)
greetings from a n00b, looking for inspection/mechanic?

Hey everyone! Recent transplant here, moved into North Oakland a few months ago up from central Virginia. We have a 2005 Golf TDi (with cold weather package, we planned this move) and we just finished getting it registered and everything.

First things first, I need to get a PA inspection as soon as possible. Any recommendations? Any gotchas to look out for? I come from a state with no emissions requirements, am I going to run into anyone here looking at me funny for driving a TDi?

Second, I'm scanning the forums looking for ideas on where to go for an oil change. We've gone about 10k miles since buying it and I wanna make sure I go to someone who will use the right oil and filter, be knowledgeable enough to notice anything else of importance, and I'm thinking it also might be good idea to give my tires their first rotation (they were put on when we got the car).

Thanks in advance, and I gotta say it, we LOVE THIS CITY! :D

Jedda03SGP

TDI
2003 Jetta
khyron, welcome to the 'Burgh. Hope you like football, you won't find any better city to be a fan. First, PA doesn't require emissions on diesels !!! You're in luck !!! Nobody'll look at you funny, you just keep smilin' knowing you're getting 2-3 times the gas mileage they are!! I do my own oil changes, nothing beats it. Couple car ramps, torx for the underbelly pan and you're good. There is a place up on Route 8 in Gibsonia called Foreign Traffic that does good work on TDI's, if you're not the kind to crawl under yourself.

TDredI

khyron

TDI
Jedda03SGP said:
khyron, welcome to the 'Burgh. Hope you like football, you won't find any better city to be a fan. First, PA doesn't require emissions on diesels !!! You're in luck !!! Nobody'll look at you funny, you just keep smilin' knowing you're getting 2-3 times the gas mileage they are!! I do my own oil changes, nothing beats it. Couple car ramps, torx for the underbelly pan and you're good. There is a place up on Route 8 in Gibsonia called Foreign Traffic that does good work on TDI's, if you're not the kind to crawl under yourself.

TDredI
Thanks dude! I can already tell that I'm going to need to add some black and yellow to my wardrobe here. I'm not sure I can afford to be a Steelers fan (in person) but we've already been to several Pirates games and that was really fun. Good to know about emissions. As for oil changes, tire rotations, and the like I am totally "the type" but I don't have a driveway here and my tools are all in Virginia so I'll check out Foreign Traffic (maybe they do inspections too?).

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Jedda03SGP said:
PghTDI-ers, good to see this thread, just stumbled on it. Was looking for front strut assemblies. Anyone know of a site that sells entire strut/coil/bearing plate assemblies, ready to install?? Got a tired coil on one side, just wanna change 'em out for new ones.
TIA, TDredI.
PartsPlace for VW's in Michigan did sell the struts/springs put together-best to buy new strut bearings also(can't remember if the assemblies came w/ them or not)-ended up buying Bilstein shocks and struts about 50k later-the springs were actually a coil shorter than stock-so i put the old springs back in the new struts to get some height back.Don't know what the A4's are like to change,though.

Jedda03SGP

TDI
2003 Jetta
Yup, they'll do inspections for ya. I haven't had to have any repairs yet, but I hear they are very fair also...ie they won't take you to the cleaners for repairs you really don't need. Good luck.

Jedda03SGP

TDI
2003 Jetta
tdidieselbobny said:
PartsPlace for VW's in Michigan did sell the struts/springs put together-best to buy new strut bearings also(can't remember if the assemblies came w/ them or not)-ended up buying Bilstein shocks and struts about 50k later-the springs were actually a coil shorter than stock-so i put the old springs back in the new struts to get some height back.Don't know what the A4's are like to change,though.
dieselbob, thanks, I'll take a look at them...I guess they are on the web?

TDredI

Jedda03SGP

TDI
2003 Jetta
tdidieselbobny said:
dieselbob, found it !
http://www.partsplaceinc.com/catalog/vw-struts-assemblies-shocks-strutinserts8.shtml

They have the whole assembly, just what I wanted ! Thanks,

TDredI

Narcoleptic724

TDI
2011 4D UG Golf TDI DGS
Cold morning

How did your TDI start this morning?

I usually keep mine in the garage overnight. This was not an option last night as my driveway is steep and ice covered and couldn't make it to the top. So, I parked it across the street.

Woke up this morning and went out and shoveled again. I saw it was sunny and figured if I got most of the snow off, the sun would start to melt the ice.....or at least loosen it up.

Walked over to the gravel patch across the street where it was parked an brushed the snow off. Got inside and turned the key to heat up the glow plugs. MFD said 6 degrees. Fired right up....granted, it was really chattering.

Made it up the driveway and put it in the garage. It's supposed to get below 0 tonight and I don't want to take the chance of it not making it up the driveway again.....driving the g/fs Outback today.

What are your experiences with very cold weather and starting your TDI? Like I said, I always park it in my integral (basement) garage.

khyron

TDI
Narcoleptic724 said:
What are your experiences with very cold weather and starting your TDI? Like I said, I always park it in my integral (basement) garage.
So far so good for us, but we too keep ours in a garage. It's not heated, but it's under the apartment building we live in and generally "cave" temperature down there, closer to 40s or 50s than anything like these outside temperatures we're hitting right now.

We have been out to the movies and dinner with it during these cold snaps, but I doubt in only two or three hours that the engines innards completely cool down the same way they would overnight. So I guess we haven't had a true test with ours yet (less than a year in our TDi, only about seven months in PGH).

Hoffer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Black
Narcoleptic724 said:
Depends on your definition of very cold weather. With the temps we see in Pittsburgh, including what we see tomorrow, down to -20C or so, never had a problem in the 5 years I've had a TDI. Full glow cycle, then crank, it fires up. Rough for the first second or so, then settles down as the idle slowly drops to 900 RPM or so. Varying degrees of smoke depending on fuel quality. But never an issue starting.

It doesn't really get cold enough for long enough in Pittsburgh for fuel gelling to be a concern. And the glow plugs can handle any of the temperatures we see around here.

Even when I've been up to Canada, I've never been to where it was much colder than -20C, and didn't have issues up there either. With starting. Getting heat out of the thing is another matter... :cool:

Just make sure you have a decent battery. :D

IwishTDI

Veteran Member
When PA had those few nights of bitter cold my car went inside the garage. Anyone in the Pittsburgh area have Vag-com that isn't on the list? I really need to get my timing checked.

Hoffer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Black
Stirer said:
Hey bud, I have one, PM me. I'm up in Cranberry.
Hah, that makes two of us. I too am up in Cranberry. Though I'll be leaving Thursday for the Team O'Neil rally with this car:

:D

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
How did the Pburgh weather end up tonight (28th)? Morgantown was calling for ice and a solid 3-6" of snow back and forth, but we ended up with just a little rain.

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
WVU TDI said:
How did the Pburgh weather end up tonight (28th)? Morgantown was calling for ice and a solid 3-6" of snow back and forth, but we ended up with just a little rain.
I live in Cleveland, and we got SLAMMED, had 18 inches on the patio table... but spent the night last evening in Pittsburgh (in fact, still there tonight as well). It was snowy, probably 6 inches, and driving was absolutely treacherous yesterday. Saw lots of big rigs stuck on the slightest inclines, but by today things were about 90% normal.

Wes