Little Pittsburgh Clan

pyankura

Vendor
TDI
2005 golf a4 body style
Anyway, I drive the car car off the lot nicely and push the pedal to the floor so I can feel the torque. Let me tell you the torque is there and there is plenty of it. I have never driven the with the DSG transmission before and was not sure if I would like anything remotely like an automatic. The DSG does not shift of drive like an automatic. It shifts very quickly to keep you in the powerband. Totally impressive. So I took the car on some steep hills to see how it pulls. No problem what so ever. I mean this car is awesome. It does not run like some of the heavily modified TDI's out there. But it does run better than any that are just chipped or use a tuning box, guarenteed. So at the price that the car is, if you are buying to modify it you have got a damn good start. I took it on flat road, steep hills and on the highway. This car pulls so nice and strong everywhere. It seems not to fall on its face around 4k like the older models. Totally, totally impressed. If I did not have mine, I would buy one. Maybe I can talk the old lady in to one?

pyankura

Vendor
TDI
2005 golf a4 body style
Let me correct my statement," But it does run better than any that are just chipped or use a tuning box, guarenteed".It runs as good or better than any that or just chipped or use a tuning box. This is more like it. That DSG is a hell of a transmission. Mine is chipped with mufflerectomy and modded air box. It pulls pretty damn hard. So it is a toss up.

pyankura

Vendor
TDI
2005 golf a4 body style
When I talk my lady into buying one you no "personally" who will tune it for her. Tonino, you are for sure coming to the VW Jam in September at the Keystone Raceway right? Quite a few people are looking forward to your service. We are counting on you.

Christopera

TDI
Looking...
Hey, new poster here!

I am a long time v-dubber driving various gas vw's but am not looking to go tdi. The problem I am having is finding good used deals on tdi's in the pittsburgh area and thought that you guys might be able to point me in the right direction.

Also I was hoping for tips and things to look out for the on tdi's. I know a few tricks for the gas cars but am affraid i know relatively little about the tdi.

F1 tuning

Vendor
TDI
Varios TDI
Tdi

Christopera said:
Hey, new poster here!

I am a long time v-dubber driving various gas vw's but am not looking to go tdi. The problem I am having is finding good used deals on tdi's in the pittsburgh area and thought that you guys might be able to point me in the right direction.

Also I was hoping for tips and things to look out for the on tdi's. I know a few tricks for the gas cars but am affraid i know relatively little about the tdi.
Just ask.. maybe you find the right info

txoko

So has the "Little Pittsburgh Clan" materialized? Need TB, inter alia, on my 96 Passat. Also a vagcom on my 03 Jetta since the check engine light decided to entertain. Additional mods to follow on the 2" Metalnerd Lift and the, uh, tuning box with the funny name...............First the repairs. Local would be a nice change since I used to drive 4 hours or more for work (Metalman).

04SlvrJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat SE DSG
jkp1187 said:
Quick question -- does anyone know if any Pittsburgh-area dealers have a TDI for test-drive yet?
If anyone closer to Wheeling is intersted, they have one at
Wheeling Automotive Group. I'm going to be in there Saturday so I'll probably take a drive.

04SlvrJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat SE DSG
pyankura said:
He does all. He will be starting his own buisness in the near future. Most engine modifications all engine and transmission work. He will also be able to do custom exhaust from the turbo back. He even has his own chip tuner that will be posting his work on this site also.
Does your mechanic friend do TB's? I am due. Approximately where is he located?

04SlvrJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat SE DSG
Christopera said:
Hey, new poster here!

On fuel economy...stay away from a slushbox unless you can't drive a manual. Also, the 04 and later 'PD' or Pumpe Duese engine has more power but seem harder on fuel. I went with the autobox because my bride doesn't drive a stick. Sad thing is I drive it 99.5% of the time and at 40k miles per year could save some serious fuel.

Also, I am not certain but you can search these forums...the automatic trans was problematic on models earlier than mine. Hopefully a search can get you better info. I am pretty sure that the 03's were problematic. I bought my 04 one year ago with 60k on it and it turned to 100k today. Other than a strange EGR cooler problem (apparently the prior owner fooled with it or something) all I have done to my car is maintenance. I am due for a timing belt change and I need to get it done very soon. My year has a 100k change interval but some of the older ones have 60 or 80k intervals. I believe some can be upgraded to the belt and tensioner that is used on mine. If you do look for a PD try to get documentation that the correct oil has been used and if the car is past the mileage for the TB you will want to see documentation that it was done right.

Best of luck :)

F1 tuning

Vendor
TDI
Varios TDI
. Local would be a nice change since I used to drive 4 hours or more for work (Metalman).[/quote]

Thats wy you ave a diesel right ?
lol

Narcoleptic724

TDI
2011 4D UG Golf TDI DGS

Hoffer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Black
2008 Rally WV

BTW, if anyone is interesting in heading down to Rally WV let me know. It runs on both Aug 1 & 2. This will be my maiden voyage in the rally TDI, so it should be interesting. I've already got some folks heading down as both service crew and course marshall/HAM radio/control worker/etc. No experience required!

I've got some rooms available yet at the EconoLodge in Elkins, WV (there's not a whole lot around there...). I can provide at the minimum bed/floor space for those that are interested. I'm sure there's camping somewhere in the area for those that want to make a trip out of it.

I'll be heading down with the rig on Thursday afternoon. If there are those that want to head down Fri night for Sat stages, that's fine too. Elkins is about 2-2.5 hours from Pittsburgh. We/the rally would love to have you down!

PM if you're interested.

Main rally page: http://www.rallywv.com
Volunteer overview: http://www.rallywv.com/documents/What%20is%20a%20rally%20volunteer_01.pdf
2008 Volunteer info: http://www.rallywv.com/2008_RallyWV_Volunteers.pdf
Volunteer form (I have one of these that you can fill in the blanks on. PM me.): http://www.rallywv.com/documents/2008%20RWV%20Volunteer%20Registration%20Form.pdf

kirmet

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Galactic Blue
Any Plans for a GTG up in PA, I'd like to sit down with some people and pick their brains some on tuning and Mods to help my 02 tdi ru a little more efficiently.

I am also having a power issue, fuel filter was changed last October. I think the Intake is clean. I had some problems with the turbo last summer that were resolved. Took it to a mech and he couldn't replicate the proble so I paid t have a flow meter replaced for no apparant reason other than part hanger mentality.

Whats happening is that it won't pull a hill like it used to and I can feel a power loss when climbing when I step on the pedal, if I ease into it I can find a flat spot where the engine doesn't create power and depending on the hill I lose speed or it holds. Seems this is more prevalent when the car is hot and heavy with gear or passengers.

There are no check engine lights. I wonder if someone close to Morgantown with a VAG could school me on how they work, and possibly go for a drive with to see if VAG will tell me anything.

I can turn a wrench but am pretty ignorant and reluctant to mess with the electronics on these cars, I'm afraid i would cause more problems than I can fix.

Last edited:

fishman

TDI
New Bio Diesel In Pittsburgh

Was in Oakland lastweek filled up@Get&Go. They now sell Bio-Diesel, It is 5% So good for a trial run. I wonder if the rest of the Giant Eagles will start to Carry? Same price as regular Diesel.

muso

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
fishman said:
Was in Oakland lastweek filled up@Get&Go. They now sell Bio-Diesel, It is 5% So good for a trial run. I wonder if the rest of the Giant Eagles will start to Carry? Same price as regular Diesel.
GetGo has actually been carrying that stuff for almost a year...the B5 is produced locally by United Oil on the North Side. Here's a link for more info:
http://biodieselnow.com/forums/p/17596/131448.aspx

The only two GetGo's that I know of that carry B5 are at Baum&Morewood in N. Oakland, and out on Freeport Road at the Harmarville Exit of rt. 28.

The nice thing is that if you shop at Giant Eagle you can save some serious $$ on fuel at GetGo through the Fuel Perks program. If you spend hundreds (or thousands!) of dollars at HomeDepot/BestBuy/etc, then buy the gift cards at Giant Eagle and rack up huge fuel discounts. When I first bought my TDI last September, I had accrued enough FuelPerks to basically get a free tank of diesel. A little thinking-ahead saved me $50 :)

fishman

TDI
Thanks Muso

Thanks Muso,

Great Article, I go to Oakland alot and just must not have been looking. It is great to see a start on Bio here in Pitt. I kept wondering why someone hasn t capitalized on this yet.Thanks for the info

noairbag

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 06 spice red
where do you guys on this post recommend I get my car checked out and geared up for a timing belt change?

kirmet

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Galactic Blue
Has anyone had a reciever hitch installed on their Jetta? I'd like to find someone in the area that will install and do good work.

Stirer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Platinum Gray GLS
Are you in the pgh area? I used John Hamilton outside of Columbus. I understand there is a guy near pgh that some folks trust, check through this thread.

kirmet

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Galactic Blue
I'm in Morgantown, WV hour or so south, I really want to have a hitch installed but would like it to be a 2" that is cut into the rear Valance for clearance and not bolted through the sheetmetal of the trunk, I want it to be able to carry a 200lb load on a bike rack.