Little Pittsburgh Clan

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather
Hey, good to see another kicking around the burgh'.
There are a couple of fellas that can do the work. One guy out on greensburgh pike has a shop with his father. The shop has been around for a long time and the dad is a long time VW/audi guy. The son works at Day VW (don't start) full time and works the nights/weekends at the shop with his dad. He appears to be the main guy at Day that does the diesel stuff and has posess all the proper tools to do the job......but. He is afterall a dealer mechanic and does not do it for the love (60/hr) and tends to want to just replace things. So what does one do...I drive to Ohio and have one of the tdi guru's do my work when i can't handle it. There is also a shop in the strip that only does german called german auto werks I think.

What are looking to get done???

Dave

tdileadfoot said:
Just want to log in as a Pittsburgher

Can anyone reccommend a good TDI mechanic in the PGH?

Stirer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Platinum Gray GLS
I would have to agree with Dave. I would make the drive to Ohio if the work is major and the vehicle is drivable or you have transport available. I had my clutch/flywheel replaced out there and I was impressed with the work. I think I'll have him do my timing belt this summer too (I have never done one).

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather
Even putting the 45$/hr labour aside (in ohio) the work and confidence that you leave with is worth it the drive and slight inconvienience. I had my turbo and vr6 clutch installed......in 6 hours @ 45/hr.
well worth the drive.
Stirer has the idea too

Fencemaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5sp; 2009 JSW TDI 6sp
Hi folks,

I'm a new TDi owner and I live down in Washington County but work downtown doing the I-79/Parkway West drive everyday.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for fueling stations selling quality diesel that are along my commute path. Basically, I come from near Washington, PA, up I-79 to Pkwy West, get off Pkwy West at Carnegie exit and weave my way along Noblestown Rd to West End before crossing the Mon to downtown.

Any suggestions for a good quality diesel source along, near or not-to-far-off my path would be most appreciated!

Thanks for any suggestions in advance. :D

Narcoleptic724

TDI
2011 4D UG Golf TDI DGS
Depening on how far south you live in Washington County.....

-Exxon off of the Race Track Rd exit (with the Wendy's connected to it)
-Pretty sure the Sunoco off of the Eight-Four exit has diesel
-BP off of the Bridgeville Exit (not sure about the Sunoco)
-Sunoco in Carnegie on the main drag between 79 and 279
-BP on Saw Mill Run (PA-51) right before the tunnels (Uniontown Exit)

I'm all over Washington, Fayette, Greene, and southern Allegheny for work so I have a list of them in my head.

Fencemaker said:
Hi folks,

I'm a new TDi owner and I live down in Washington County but work downtown doing the I-79/Parkway West drive everyday.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for fueling stations selling quality diesel that are along my commute path. Basically, I come from near Washington, PA, up I-79 to Pkwy West, get off Pkwy West at Carnegie exit and weave my way along Noblestown Rd to West End before crossing the Mon to downtown.

Any suggestions for a good quality diesel source along, near or not-to-far-off my path would be most appreciated!

Thanks for any suggestions in advance. :D

Fencemaker

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Narcoleptic724.

I got a tank from that BP in Bridgeville once and got real good mileage out of it. It's amazing the mpg difference you can get just from different diesel sold at different stations. I'd visit that station more often but I'm usually rushing back to Washington to pick up my kids before their daycare closes and it's just a pain to get back to 79 from that BP station b/c you have to turn left onto Washington Pike and traffic backs up at that Wash Rd/Rt.50 light so bad.

The Sunoco at the Bridgeville exit also has diesel, but they only have the large size nozzle, so unless you want to spew diesel all over the place or if you've made yourself an adaptor, I wouldn't try it with our cars.

Have you purchased from the Sunoco in Carnegie? It looks so unvisited, I kind of wondered how old the fuel might be.

I didn't realize that the Exxon at Racetrack Road had diesel. I know the BP on the other side of 79 has it. I'll have to try them out and see.

Unfortunately, I go the opposite way from Eighty Four once I hit the 79/70 split - I head on 70West towards Wheeling. I live a few miles to the west of Washington out in the boonies.

Thanks for the input.

Narcoleptic724

TDI
2011 4D UG Golf TDI DGS
Yeah, I usually steered away from BP gas, but I get good milage from their diesel.

I just passed the Sunoco off of the Eighty Four exit yesterday. They don't have diesel, but the BP on the other side of the highway does.

As far as that Carnegie Sunoco, I've never gotten diesel there, and have only seen that pump used here and there (once was a Golf TDI). I probably would only stop there in a pinch.

I was just out your way on Thursday....had to do an inspection in Donegal Twp.....(I'm a real estate appraiser).

Fencemaker

Veteran Member
TDI
Good to hear someone comes out my way.

I actually live a bit closer to Washington but still in the Claysville zip.

However, since I last posted I found a good fueling choice. The BP at the corner of PA-844 and PA-18 (i.e., Jefferson Ave. and Henderson Ave.) in Washington has Premium Diesel for the same price as everyone else in the area.

Filled up there last week and by the look of things I'm getting my best fuel mileage to date on this tank.:D

pghvdubguy95

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat se 6m,
tdileadfoot said:
Just want to log in as a Pittsburgher

Can anyone reccommend a good TDI mechanic in the PGH?

Bobs Service.
518 River Rd
Dravosburg, PA 15034
412-469-9733

he does all my work for me on my tdi and know diesels inside and out. He also drives a jetta diesel himself. Hope that helps.

Narcoleptic724

TDI
2011 4D UG Golf TDI DGS
Does anyone know if Eurotech on 51 is good with TDI's? I could walk to them and was considereding going there after my warrantee is up.

GMARK

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GL Reflex Silver 5 speed. Ventectomy, coolant migration mod, Hella Comets, FK air ducts.
Not trying to highjack your thread guys, but I wanted to extend the invitation to you all for my GTG on April 19th.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=203270

We usually do some serious work at these events and normally have some of our "Gurus" here to handle the big jobs or assist owners as necessary.

Hope you can make it.

Mark

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
98 porcelain Blue Jetta TDI,,usually seen lurking within a 15 mile radius east of the City.
Hrmmm, I could use some advice on mine. Anyone going to be there that knows the AHU engine?

conrad1468

TDI
2003 VW Golf TDi 4 Door
i have been reading all of your posts from the Burgh. i live east of Pittsburgh in Jeannette and i thought i would just say hello. someday i may PM one of you guys for Vag-Com reading.

if you need any help in my area.. i try to lend a hand..

i'm also into Air cooled VWs if you need any help or parts..

have a good one.. keep that diesel pump'n...

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I was in Pittsburgh this weekend on a roadtrip to see friends and saw a black (or dark blue?) A4 Jetta wagon on Beverly Road in Mount Lebanon parked in front of some shops. I would have stopped but I had a carload full of kids on the way to the Childrens' Museum downtown and it was raining.

It had a TDIClub sticker in the upper right rear window. Any takers?

Stirer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Platinum Gray GLS
We're now sure you were in pittsburgh, as you said it was raining :D . Hope you had a good visit.

TDI
2004 Passat GLS TDI, 2005 Golf TDI
Just giving a shout out to the 'Burg TDI crew, from a first time TDI owner - '04 Passat. Loving it!

Anyway, I live about 60 miles north of the city. Definitely up for any local GTG's, etc.

Take care, All!

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
Anyone attending the VW show at the old Keystone drag place now called Pittsburgh motorsports park in New Alexandria probably 30 or so miles east of the burg? It's right on 22 tomorrow (sunday). Don't know if they are shooting for air-cooled or watercooled or both.

It's called the VW superjam (or something similar). I don't think I'll be able to make it myself.

If anyone goes I'd like to hear about it. Perhaps next year I'll take an air-cooled or two.

Dave

pghvdubguy95

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat se 6m,
davebugs said:
Anyone attending the VW show at the old Keystone drag place now called Pittsburgh motorsports park in New Alexandria probably 30 or so miles east of the burg? It's right on 22 tomorrow (sunday). Don't know if they are shooting for air-cooled or watercooled or both.

It's called the VW superjam (or something similar). I don't think I'll be able to make it myself.

If anyone goes I'd like to hear about it. Perhaps next year I'll take an air-cooled or two.

Dave
I was there, It was fun, a little on the small side but this was the first year in pittsburgh. They're doing a 2nd show this sept.

I had my 91 16v gti and my 71 Beetle conv there.

on a side note my TDI turned 200k today!!!

Last edited:

pm22071985

Veteran Member
TDI
Ola, fellow burgh TDI's.
I just got RC2 in both of mine----fantastic!
When is the GTG, I wouldn't mind a little supervision/guidance as I attempt an intake clean/ccv filter setup on them.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
I don't know of a currently planned GTG.

If I could figure out my schedule and weekends in the mountains I may offer to host one. I have a vag-com, a car lift, and basic shop tools here.

When I don't have to be home on the weekends in the summer I'm usually in the Cook Forest area.

Dave

Narcoleptic724

TDI
2011 4D UG Golf TDI DGS
Blue_Hen_TDI said:
I was in Pittsburgh this weekend on a roadtrip to see friends and saw a black (or dark blue?) A4 Jetta wagon on Beverly Road in Mount Lebanon parked in front of some shops. I would have stopped but I had a carload full of kids on the way to the Childrens' Museum downtown and it was raining.

It had a TDIClub sticker in the upper right rear window. Any takers?
I believe I have seen that same car in the same spot. If I remember correctly, it had a plug for a heater hanging out of the front.

I also spotted a white NB with a TDIClub plate ring while I was pulling a u-turn on Morrowfield in Sq. Hill.

pyankura

Vendor
TDI
2005 golf a4 body style
Three rivers VW has for test driving. I will test drive myself and post my thoughts. Also I know of an awesome VW mechanic in the south of Pittsburgh area for those that want a true VW fanatic working on them. Plenty qualified!

Hoffer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Black
pyankura said:
Three rivers VW has for test driving. I will test drive myself and post my thoughts. Also I know of an awesome VW mechanic in the south of Pittsburgh area for those that want a true VW fanatic working on them. Plenty qualified!
Does he work for a dealership or is he independent? Does he do mundane thnigs like inspections as well?

F1 tuning

Vendor
TDI
Varios TDI
next VW Show in Pttsburgh

Hi To all.
I hope to see more cars on the next show in Pittsbusrgh Raceway !!!

pyankura

Vendor
TDI
2005 golf a4 body style
He does all. He will be starting his own buisness in the near future. Most engine modifications all engine and transmission work. He will also be able to do custom exhaust from the turbo back. He even has his own chip tuner that will be posting his work on this site also.

jwlionking

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Black 6 Speed Manual
pyankura said:

Had a chance yet?

pyankura

Vendor
TDI
2005 golf a4 body style
Yes, to 7/2/08 I did get to test drive the new Jetta TDI @ 3 Rivers Volkswagen. This was the base model with: sunroof, leatheret, DSG and wheels. Well, if you have not got to drive or hear one yet, you will. This car is very quiet inside and out. I know this is what a saleman would say but I am no salesman. This thing is 10 times quieter than my 2005 PD. It is hard to tell it is a diesel engine under the hood. No s@#T!
Anyway,