Little Pittsburgh Clan

lpasquale

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS ALH 01M - 325k and going strong - Sort of...
Like Davebugs, need Pitts guru for 2003 Jetta AT work. Car didnt respond to the throttle very well the other day. Felt like tranny starting to go. I quit driving car before anything too bad happened. Car has over 200k on original AT. I live in Beaver County.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
What tranny?

If it's an Auto drop me a PM.

I have a local tranny shop that has fixed several 01M tranny's in 2.0 and 1.8T Jetta/Golf's with great success for me.

My auto tranny is still good (I maintain it well). But if you maybe wanna try and get yours fixed I have someone who may be worthy of the gamble. It wouild still be a gamble - but have you seen the price of the reman's?

I won't be around much until after the holiday.

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
khyron said:
I'm willing drive a little bit outside the city if necessary, we love our TDi and I want to make sure this is done by caring and attentive folks.
I was told earlier in this thread that the Canonsburg dealership was alright.

Narcoleptic724

TDI
2011 4D UG Golf TDI DGS
I've always been treated really good at Three Rivers VW on Route 19 in Peters Twp (US-19, 15317 zip). I actually live in Brookline right by Rohrich VW but drive down to peters to go to Three Rivers.

lpasquale

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS ALH 01M - 325k and going strong - Sort of...
Dealership?

I'll do a stealership if I have to but surely there is a guru, or someone who approaches guru status and knows tdi's and the problems encountered with 01M auto trannies, in the Allegheny/Beaver County area. Isnt there?

nutzio

TDI
looking for one
hey

hey from accross the WV state line. I live up in the northern panhandle of WV and work in PA.

I love all diesels and looking to broaden my horizons past my CR Cummins and look for a TDI to fit my commuting needs.

looks like I have lots of reading and lurking on this forum to get brought up to speed.

Glad to see 3-rivers is a safe place for the timing belts that will be in my furure:D . I grew up in that area and know exactly where the place is.

hope to see y'all around sometime

pm22071985

Veteran Member
TDI
nutzio said:
Glad to see 3-rivers is a safe place for the timing belts that will be in my furure:D . I grew up in that area and know exactly where the place is.

hope to see y'all around sometime
Hello nutzio,

I won't hold it against you that you live on the wrong side of the "backyard brawl", welcome aboard.

I believe the recomendations for 3 rivers was for any dealer recalls NOT for the timing belt.

I would go to a TDI guru for that or learn how to do it.
You will find a listed of trusted TDI mechanics on this forum broken down by area.
I watched Growler do one, and now do them on my own cars.
I highly recommend him if you don't mind driving to columbus.
His prices are better than a dealer and he does it correctly.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=235546

See ya around !!!

nutzio

TDI
looking for one
ok, thank you for the correction.

don't worry... spout off all WV inbred jokes you can think of:D

I moved here to escape the ridiculous amount of taxes you pay in Pennsyltucky:D

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
pm22071985 said:
I won't hold it against you that you live on the wrong side of the "backyard brawl", welcome aboard.
Hey, don't make me break out into 'Country Roads' :p

pm22071985

Veteran Member
TDI
WVU TDI said:
Hey, don't make me break out into 'Country Roads' :p
nutzio said:
....Pennsyltucky...
This is turning into too much fun.....

If my memory serves me right....

John Denver said: Almost heaven West Virgina....reminds of the "backyard brawl" in 2007. WVU was ranked #2 and on the verge of playing for the BCS championship(heaven), but the lowly 4-7 Pitt Panthers had the upset of the year crushing all of WVU's title dreams...

Nothing as sweet as beating WVU and crushing there dreams.....

I promise I wont even start on jokes about how in WV your neighbor is also your cousin, step-dad, brother, and half-aunt....

I mean it all in harmless fun, its great having YENZ around !!!!

nutzio

TDI
looking for one
pm22071985 said:
This is turning into too much fun.....

If my memory serves me right....

John Denver said: Almost heaven West Virgina....reminds of the "backyard brawl" in 2007. WVU was ranked #2 and on the verge of playing for the BCS championship(heaven), but the lowly 4-7 Pitt Panthers had the upset of the year crushing all of WVU's title dreams...

Nothing as sweet as beating WVU and crushing there dreams.....

I promise I wont even start on jokes about how in WV your neighbor is also your cousin, step-dad, brother, and half-aunt....

I played for Washington & Jefferson. I hate big colleges and the NFL (flame suit on:D ) because you have to sell your soul in the name of big scholarships and big$$.

anywho getting back to topic, I have pretty much determined I would like to find a Golf of Jetta in the 5spd flavor---ohhhh, and must have 4-doors because I have 2-3 kids at all times.

any of you take your TDI to Beaver Run Raceway up near Koppel, PA? I work up that way and was having a conversation with a co-worker who takes his Honda there and says there are a couple mean TDIs that show up when they have run what ya brung day.

Stirer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Platinum Gray GLS
nutzio said:
...ohhhh, and must have 4-doors because I have 2-3 kids at all times.

any of you take your TDI to Beaver Run Raceway up near Koppel, PA? I work up that way and was having a conversation with a co-worker who takes his Honda there and says there are a couple mean TDIs that show up when they have run what ya brung day.
Hey bud, not sure how many kids you have?? :D

I'd like to get mine on the strip but it's mild with just nozzles and RC3.

Harden

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, Black, 6-Speed Manual
pm22071985 said:
I do believe you ment Yunz or Yinz. Being born an raised in Da Burgh I feel qualified to correct, even though I don't live there at the moment.

Yenz is native to Eastern Kentucky, means the same thing though, so I think we can forgive ya.

pm22071985

Veteran Member
TDI
nutzio said:
I have pretty much determined I would like to find a Golf of Jetta in the 5spd and must have 4-doors....

any of you take your TDI to Beaver Run Raceway up near Koppel, PA?..
I have been there twice. Once with my black NB and the other time with its garage sharing german friend built to scream :D .

I also did this "sampler" day they have. You get to beat on there honda gocarts, autocross with there mazda cars, and do some laps. It was cheap 50$ish (iirc), I bought it for my father as a b-day present. We were the only people there, so we didn't wait in any lines and literally beat the snot out of there cars for 12hour. Great time !!!

There is a lot of 4-door jetta and golfs, check out the "sticky" for newbie buying a car, it lists what to check so you don't buy a piece of junk.

Stirer said:
I'd like to get mine on the strip but it's mild with just nozzles and RC3.
Sup Stirer,
You would be surprised on the autocross course, with nozzles and a tune, we can hang with most of the fwd cars.
But in the 1/4 mile, even heavy modded tdi's get smashed.
Speaking of nozzles: I got my nozzles pop/calibrated by DBW back in may when I was on vacation, I have noticed a 2-3mpg improvement, no smoke, and more power. Well worth a 100$ if you don't need a car for a week. The PP764 are getting done by FRANK.

Harden said:
I do believe you ment Yunz or Yinz....Yenz is native to Eastern Kentucky
You are probable correct.
But I've heard it depends on the location within the "burgh". North & West parts of the city say Yunz/Yinz, while South & East parts of the city say Yenz/Yinz.
Or maybe since I'm in Dayton, which is close to kentucky, I've got some of there dialect mixed in with my jibba-jabba.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
if you are in Dayton, are you gonna swing up to Lima on Saturday to see Whitbread? big GTG All day!

Harden

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, Black, 6-Speed Manual
pm22071985 said:
You are probable correct.
But I've heard it depends on the location within the "burgh". North & West parts of the city say Yunz/Yinz, while South & East parts of the city say Yenz/Yinz.
Or maybe since I'm in Dayton, which is close to kentucky, I've got some of there dialect mixed in with my jibba-jabba.
Yeah it is hard to keep track, things do change a lot based on what side of the river your on. I grew up in the west end (just 10min from 3 rivers stadium, without game day traffic (1 hour+ with traffic).

Like Growler said, should t5ry and make it to Whitbreads for the GTG this saturday. I'm making the drive that morning.

DavidMTroyer

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta
Any wrenchers around Pittsburgh that would be willing to help/teach me on a rear pad/rotor and brake fluid job?

I'm eager to learn and become more comfortable working on my car. I don't have the tools or space but would provide parts and would be willing to pay a sum similar to what I would pay someone else to do it.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Send pm22071985 a message, I bet he can help you out when he is in town.

pm22071985

Veteran Member
TDI
Growler said:
if you are in Dayton, are you gonna swing up to Lima on Saturday to see Whitbread? big GTG All day!
Harden said:
t5ry and make it to Whitbreads for the GTG this saturday. I'm making the drive that morning
Wish I could guys!! I would like to talk to whitbread about a couple exhaust ideas. But I only get one golden weekend (sat & sun off) a month. I used mine up last weekend. Sucks, I need more time off.

DavidMTroyer said:
Any wrenchers around Pittsburgh that would be willing to help/teach me on a rear pad/rotor and brake fluid job?
Sounds like a great thing to due at a "work" GTG!! We need to have one with the "burgh" crew.

I'd have no problems helping. There is a couple DIY guides that are good to read so you understand the general steps. My work schedule is nuts (80-90hrs/week), I probable won't be back in town untill turkey day. I'll send you a PM

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
Only "special" tool is the one to wind the caliper back.

I'm gonna be buried with work as well.

If I can ever get enough room, and a decent day ( to let some cars set outside) I may be able to host. I'm 35 miles ENE of the city.

I have a vag-com, 4 post lift, usual assortment of air and hand tools, some torches, the MARKIV rear bushing axle tools that I had made, etc.

I've got a 71 bus on my lift with the engine out and have a customer buying part of a company in Woodstock VA that's supposed to go live Nov 2nd that'll keep me buried.

If I can get a break I'll post a note here. Weekends I usually head to the mountains but I think it's time for a new GF so I may stay around here and get some stuff done.

khyron

TDI
2005 Golf GLS (tiptronic), 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL (DSG)
Hey guys, the Pittsburgh n00b again with a question. I've never taken my Golf to a dealer here to get work done, used to be a total DIY guy but currently am living in a tiny apartment with no tools (or spare time). Such is the life of a back-to-schooler...

So, later this week I'm dropping my baby in the hands of Three Rivers Volkswagen for the morning to get an oil change, general checkup, and probably have the glow plugs replaced (per an outstanding service bulletin from the summer). Since I'm used to bargain hunting my fluids and filters online, I'm wondering just how bad this is gonna hurt. Anyone care to estimate what I should be prepared to be billed?

Feel free to PM if you wanna. I'm just curious, looking for a ballpark.

(oh and at various folks' suggestion, I did ask for Jamie specifically) :)

ETA - went this morning and all went well, thanks again for the advice!

Last edited:

adamant628

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS
I'm going to be rolling through Pittsburgh this weekend. I'll be pretty busy, but watch out for a candy white jetta wagon. I've got the license plate frame, so you won't be able to miss me!

mstar926

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Youngstown

Got my 02 Jetta TDI at Three Rivers a few years back.

I live in Youngstown so, hello neighbors.

I the middle of an Auto - Manual swap.

I just finished the flywheel torque... I would love to see a pittsburgh GTG.

astonishedboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2k Golf, Black Mariah
To David Troyer... I have a rear brake tool, and a big driveway. Maybe there will still be a decent day we can get together and do your brakes. I live in Lawrenceville. send me a message when you might be availalble. I've got a pretty busy week.

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather
Your Tonka tool set doesn't actually work on real cars Frank. I don't know how many times i need to tell you this fact.

Dave

astonishedboy said:
To David Troyer... I have a rear brake tool, and a big driveway. Maybe there will still be a decent day we can get together and do your brakes. I live in Lawrenceville. send me a message when you might be availalble. I've got a pretty busy week.

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather
I'll be doing my fronts and rears in the next week of so if the weather is not too bad. Frank can come by and make grilled cheese sandys for us while we work with real tools actually made of metal.

Dave

DavidMTroyer said:

I'm eager to learn and become more comfortable working on my car. I don't have the tools or space but would provide parts and would be willing to pay a sum similar to what I would pay someone else to do it.

Last edited:

Smokinram

TDI
None Yet...

Hello All,

Well I am not new to the diesel world but I am now new to the TDI world.

Just picked up a 2001 Jetta GLI TDI 5-speed from fellow member Trice1. Thanks again Ed, very nice car...

Would love to be notified of any Pittsburgh area TDI get togethers.

If anyone is ever out my way(Mount Pleasant), stop by my shop and say hello. We do Performance Diesel upgrades on light duty trucks such as Dodge/Cummins, GM/Duramax, and Ford/Powerstroke.

As of now my care is stock but I plan on doing some upgrades. Does anyone have any good upgrades laying around collecting dust that they are willing to part with?

Thanks,

Andy