List of all sensors

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
Does anyone have a complete list of every single sensor, it's function and location on a Jetta MKIV-A4 PD?
Thanks folks!

Last edited:

2003VW

TDI
2003 Jetta
This would get you close but does not give location of the item on one particular car. It deals with the principals of the design.
https://www.myarchive.us/richc/VW_TDI_with_PumpeDuse.pdf
The Bentley manual for your model year will also be helpful and be more specific for the location of components.
Great manual. Would you happen to have one for the 2003 engine? I believe it's the VE engine.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Great manual. Would you happen to have one for the 2003 engine? I believe it's the VE engine.
Its probably floating around on the internet somewhere. That is where I found the above one.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
ALH engine (US market 1998.5-2003) has
- coolant temperature sensor in coolant flange at left side of cylinder head
- crank position sensor front side of engine block
- fuel temperature sensor under the top cover of the fuel injection pump
- mass air flow sensor at the air filter box
- lift sensor in third injector
- air intake pressure sensor in rigid intake pipe behind right headlight (different model years had a different location in that pipe)

Some may be modified with an oil pan that has a sensor for oil temperature and level, but that is not related to engine operation (unless you run out of oil).

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The intake air pressure & temp sensor on the rigid pipe is also used to read outside air pressure before starting.

There's also the 2 position sensors that are part of the go pedal assembly.

You might find these Self Study Programs VW put out with the launch of the Mk4 interesting:

And this one with the introduction of the 1.9 TDI. It lists all the sensors:

-J

Last edited:

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
The intake air pressure & temp sensor on the rigid pipe is also used to read outside air pressure before starting.

There's also the 2 position sensors that are part of the go pedal assembly.

You might find these Self Study Programs VW put out with the launch of the Mk4 interesting:

And this one with the introduction of the 1.9 TDI. It lists all the sensors:

-J
Cool links. Any idea where one can get the paper Golf model that's at the end of the third? Only the directions are there.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
You can trust MOGolf listed all the ones for the motor. Other side of the firewall, there are lots, clutch, brake, doors, HVAC, it even senses all the back to the trunk.

JETaah

TDI
You can trust MOGolf listed all the ones for the motor. Other side of the firewall, there are lots, clutch, brake, doors, HVAC, it even senses all the back to the trunk.
Almost all...but, compu_85 covered what was missed. (IAT) (y)

JETaah

TDI
Since the IAT sensor is part of the MAP sensor assembly, I think we can give mogolf a pass :)
No flaming, chastising, or otherwise here. The important thing here is that it gets mentioned that it exists and now readers will know where to look for it.(y):)