Limp mode

Azrael

TDI
TDI ALH
2001 VW Jetta TDI ALH

My car is going into limp mode and I have replaced the line from the N75 to the actuator and have fully deleted the lines from the N75 to the N18 and the ASV solenoid and I am replacing the all the lines tomorrow but a guy is telling me I need to close the circuits for the 2 plugs of the N18 and ASV by putting a resistor in them any input anyone? This issue of limp mode has been pissing me off for almost a week

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
2001 VW Jetta TDI ALH

My car is going into limp mode and I have replaced the line from the N75 to the actuator and have fully deleted the lines from the N75 to the N18 and the ASV solenoid and I am replacing the all the lines tomorrow but a guy is telling me I need to close the circuits for the 2 plugs of the N18 and ASV by putting a resistor in them any input anyone? This issue of limp mode has been pissing me off for almost a week
Is there an actual fault code?

I've never heard if using resistors, never had to.

Only ever had limp mode from a sticky vnt mechanism and cracked vac pipes. Did the simplify thing when replacing the vac lines, no resistors, no problems.

Azrael

TDI
TDI ALH
Yes it’s P1556 I didn’t think the resistor was going to be a necessity I have done more searching on threads and found it might be the nipple on the vacuum pump so I’m going to RTV it and try again tomorrow, because that’s how someone was able to fix the leak

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
It sounds like there was previously some weak troubleshooting. Have you tried the Limp Mode thread in TDI 101?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, the vacuum feed to the brake booster is a common issue, but I think further diagnosis is called for.
The link hskrdu provided is excellent.
I don't know about the deleted vacuum lines, I might recommend putting them back to stock.
VW TDI Search Engine

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Vacuum leaks are so easy to find, the ALH is so simple. Start with the booster tube, and go from there. Get yourself a vacuum hand pump, test each portion. Modifying things is unwise, just fix it...

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
2001 VW Jetta TDI ALH

The resisters will stop getting a code for the N18 and ASV.
You will get other codes for boost out of range.
Its easier to follow the limp mode thread mentioned it post 4 and do it right.
Just my 2 cents.
Been there, tried that. :(