Limp mode months after VNT swap

bigjake

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta MKIV, 1.9 BEW with 09A
Hey guys,

Back in May, I swapped my KP39 for a VNT-17. I had no issues whatsoever up until the past two weeks. I started catching limp mode occasionally. But here recently it's becoming very frequent. I did some research as to why this would happen with a brand new turbo and a lot of folks pointed their fingers at the N75 or an improperly tuned turbo. I happened to have a new pierburg N75 laying around so I dropped that in with no luck. I went to use my vacuum pump to check pressure but discovered my pump is broken. 🙄 Although I'm waiting on my new one to arrive, I'm apprehensive to believe the turbo is improperly tuned. This came from KermaTDI. It was advertised as a "plug and play" turbo that had no issues for months.

I then hooked up my code reader. I have two codes. One is an overboost code and another is a P2564 code, which seems like it's some kind of wiring issue with the actuator. Per some threads on here, it seems like the most common cause of that issue is a short caused by the wiring insulation rubbing away. My dad and I pulled back the loom and checked everything. all the wiring, pins and connections appear normal. We attempted to test the voltage at the harness and got 5 volts from the yellow wire, but got nothing from the other two.

I have several questions here.

Is/can this code be the cause of an overboost? Many of the threads I've seen on here, people seem to cite it as more of an annoyance causing a CEL more than anything.

Since I have a code mentioning the actuator and an accompanying overboost code, I'm getting some memories of my failing KP39 actuator which was causing overboosting. Do VNT-17 actuators fail and go the same route as kp-39s? If so, has anyone heard of one failing so soon?

Does anyone know the voltages I'm supposed to be seeing coming from the actuator wiring harness? I'm bothered by the fact only one of those wires showed voltage.

Is it possible that the turbo was tuned at the beginning but something failed or creeped causing the tune to get out of whack?

I'll follow up with vacuum numbers once my pump/gauge arrives. Until then, got any ideas?

CableJockey

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS
The turbo actuator requires vacuum to function.
With you stating that you have vacuum problems (bad pump...? How did you determine it to be bad?), I suggest you focus on that for now.
From my understanding, the vacuum pumps are quite robust and rarely "fail". More common are leaks...
As far as the code, is it negative deviation? , easily a result of vacuum/actuator issues.

Edit: Misread. You mean handheld vacuum pump (ie mityvac) is broken. Disregard my earlier pump ramblings....

Overboost may be something sticking: either the actuator or the turbo vanes themselves. Depending on how the car is driven, it's not unreasonable for a new turbo to soot up and stop moving.

Last edited:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Check the long hose from the N75 to the actuator so see if it has possibly rubbed against the intake pipe upon which it rests.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Follow the troubleshooting post. Top of my list is the silly stuff, like cycling the actuator manually. At no vacuum it is wide open and full vacuum pulls it closed into max boost mode. It appears the relaxation is not proceeding smoothly. The vacuum motor can pull it closed and then it does not open as quickly as it should. I have no idea if exhaust pressure works to close it or open it. I am ready to believe in the former, given the fail modes.

Check the vacuum schematic; I think there is an orifice in place somewhere. Making sure it is not plugged sounds like one of a few priorities. Since it overboosts, we know it gets the 'close/boost' action...and that it delays the 'open/reduce boost' command.
cheers,
Douglas
running a trouble-free ALH install of a VNT17 for about 100k now.

bigjake

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta MKIV, 1.9 BEW with 09A
Yes, my apologies. I was talking about the mighty vac. I finally got a new one a few weeks ago but have had a miserable time finding the time to start checking over the car.

Does anybody have vacuum specs for the vacuum supply and the N75? I'm going to run the car this weekend and see how much vacuum is being pulled and I want to know if the numbers I'm seeing are within the allowable range. I'm having an absolutely TERRIBLE time trying to pull any specs or diagrams for the BEW's vacuum system. I have no problem finding said information for the ALH, but it seems BEW info is non-existent.

Last edited:

Sauaciden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 8L 1.9TDI
Yes, my apologies. I was talking about the mighty vac. I finally got a new one a few weeks ago but have had a miserable time finding the time to start checking over the car.

Does anybody have vacuum specs for the vacuum supply and the N75? I'm going to run the car this weekend and see how much vacuum is being pulled and I want to know if the numbers I'm seeing are within the allowable range. I'm having an absolutely TERRIBLE time trying to pull any specs or diagrams for the BEW's vacuum system. I have no problem finding said information for the ALH, but it seems BEW info is non-existent.
It is about 18" hg