Limp Mode Check Engine Light and Flashing Wrench

seb1899

TDI
I drank the 'kool ade' and purchased a 2014 Passat TDI SEL with 60621mi
On a test drive to purchase a 2015 TDI Passat SEL with 83k mi I was at a stoplight on the return drive and the car gave a lurch and a metalic "thump" and the check engine light came on as well as a little flashing wrench sign came on.
The engine reved up and the car went slowly so I guess it was in "limp mode"
Made it back to the selling dealer and they will have their mechanic look at the car on Monday.
My wife and I (she was in the car as well) had decided to write them a check and buy the car as it is very clean and the right colors and has new tires (albeit the tires are probably cheap no name "China bombs") but this event happened-glad it was the dealer's car and not mine.
What do you think triggered this fault we had been on the highway 70 mph and the bac on city streets and this happened at a stop light
Is this a car that I should avoid or is this a correctable fault that I should nottt worry about. I thought a TDI with 83k mi would be a good purchase

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
I'd look at it as your karma is good, there are more of these around with a lot less miles. I wouldn't trust what ever the dealer says as to what happened. Consider yourself extremely fortunate. as this could have happened a week after you had bought it and you'd have the problen you don't need.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Is this a VW dealer or just some dealer? I would pass and find something else. Warranty is tough enough without starting off with a fubared engine.

seb1899

TDI
I drank the 'kool ade' and purchased a 2014 Passat TDI SEL with 60621mi
Well i have drunk the Kool ade and I purchased a 2014 TDI Passat SEL that has 60,300 mi. It was a 2 owner car and I believe the 1st owner was military @ FT Bragg NC and the car wnt with him to Ft Rielly KS and then was sold back to VW. It was sold to a VW dealer in VA, the "fix" was done and after they used it 15k mi they sold it at auction and was purchased by a quality used dealer in Durham, NC. It appears the car was serviced regularly at VW dealers throughout its life so far and now that it is mine I will do the DSG service and install a new fuel filter annd air filter and see how it goes.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
Congrats indeed! Similar situation for me too. I grabbed a 2-owner with 52k miles in February. Second owner only had it a few months after the buy-back "fix" and VW sold it back to public, and she traded it into a different dealership (Subaru/Chevy) that put it up for sale. Service history shows all VW dealership serviced at proper intervals. I've really enjoyed driving it the past couple of months. Hope the same for you.

You should check with local VW dealership and ask specifically to pull dealership service record, which would include servicing at all VAG dealerships while maintaining privacy of previous owners. I was able to get a print-out when I purchased my 2005 used in 2007-08 time frame. If yours was properly serviced, the DSG would have been serviced 20k miles ago and you would be good for another 20k before time to do it again.

You may consider changing the oil. A lot of "quality used car dealerships" change the oil as a matter of course before selling any inventory, and it's possible they did not use the proper 507.00 motor oil. Unless you can confirm one way or other with the dealership in Durham that sold it to you.

Good luck!