"lights on" buzzer

Joe Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
If I leave my lights on, pull out the key, and get out of the car; the buzzer doesn't sound.
When I get back *in* the car, but buzzer sounds.

That doesn't seem to make sense, the "headlight's on" alarm not sounding when I get out.

Last edited:

spifflifkin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Did WD-40 fix it? I am having the same problem, but my door lights do not work. The interior lights come on when the door is opened so it doesn't appear to be a door switch. When I leave the key in the ignition and/or leaving the lights on, when I open the door I get one ping, one ping only from the warning buzzer.

And, occasionally when starting the car the buzzer that beeps when you first turn on the key won't stop and all of the warning lights on the dash stay lit and the power windows won't operate... I just have wait a few minutes and restart the car. Sometimes several times.

rdclapham

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 1.9 ALH
Same theme, different issue. I turn off the car, remove the key and open the door with the headlight switch ON. I now get a steady tone instead of a pulsed tone.

Any thoughts?

Scintilla

TDI
2006 PD WagenRocket, 2000 Golf, formerly an '86 Jetta Turbo Diesel, Diesel Rabbit
I had a situation last week where the key switch was causing the bell to ding whenever the car moved. It took quite a lot of shop time to diagnose. Although I was skeptical, the dealer wanted to replace the key switch - and that fixed it. In reading up on this problem, I discovered that it is not uncommon. Apparently, they disintegrate after long service, and I think that brass filings inside cause some undesirable current paths to trigger instrument cluster malfunctions. Good luck. Brian

DRZ400

It's door switch problem. There are a few switches in there and I replaced them in both doors using 2 dollar radio shack ones and epoxy.

I got tired of the intermittent reminder to shut off lights when leaving in am when dark and arriving when light. The guys at work would always push start me and make fun of me driving a vw.

Don't be fooled by the interior lights. I am positive my symotoms were identical butit was a few hears ago.

Good luck. update us with the fix