Lighting package reliability and repair cost?

nectarguru

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf SE
I've been on contact with my local dealer about purchasing a black 6sp manual Golf SE with no upgrades. There are none available in my region so they'd have to order one, making me wait about 3 months to receive the car. Today, though, the dealer told me that there is a black SE available locally, just like the one I'm after, but it has the bi xenon lighting package. I think it's impressive technology, but for my taste it's not worth the extra $700-800. Still, they sure are pretty. I might consider snatching up that car if the price was right. Long term, what is the reliability of the bi xenon headlights? I can't imagine that they're cheap to replace. What about the trim lighting?

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Get them; they are worth twice that.. if you do any night driving you will thank your self.

The lights will last probably longer than you'll have the car without a problem.. they can burn continuously for like 10 years, its the on/off that does wear/tear and thats in the ballast due to the high voltage needed... If you have automatic headlights and drive through alot of tunnels every day it could be an issue... my 2003 RS6 had the original bi-xenon bulbs/ballasts in it 10 years later and it was a very early adopter of the tech.

My wife's CC does not have bi-xenon and I hate driving it at night; would cost me $1200 or more to put em in and I am very tempted for her own safety.

LED DRL's also look 100x better

I do thousands of highway miles a year in total darkness, for instance Ive nearly ran over 3 Coyotes in the last 3 months alone.. I highly value great performing headlights, and brakes.

Last edited:

axnels2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta sportswagen
I love xenon lights on my wife's car... They are incredible. They make my JSW feel like I am driving with a candle lighting the road... We had 3 cars now with xenon lights and never had any issues with them.., but my wife normally does not keep cars more then 4 years...., so I have no idea how they hold up past that term.

nectarguru

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf SE
Thanks for the tips. I called about the pricing of that specific vehicle, and off the top of his head said it would be about $2k more...bringing the price to about $27k. Perhaps there's some room to negotiate there.

Also, I just realized that I accidentally posted this to the Passat forum, when I meant for it to be in the general MkVII thread! Sorry!

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
its more than just a lighting package then, its probably got navi and mebe kessy.. thats about what the mark up was for my tech pkg.

considering it costs over $2k just for bi-xenon headlights to be installed after the fact I didnt really mind, seemed like a good deal for all of it and I love my headlamps/navi and kessy, no regrets.

Infact my wife's car insults me by not recognizing my presence and unlocking the car with just a gentle touch.

Last edited:

nectarguru

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf SE
its more than just a lighting package then, its probably got navi and mebe kessy.. thats about what the mark up was for my tech pkg.

considering it costs over $2k just for bi-xenon headlights to be installed after the fact I didnt really mind, seemed like a good deal for all of it and I love my headlamps/navi and kessy, no regrets.

Infact my wife's car insults me by not recognizing my presence and unlocking the car with just a gentle touch.
Hah! I'm waiting to hear back from him with a quote, but first he said the lighting package adds about $995 to the price. I was confused when he then said "add about $2k to the price I quoted you." I won't know until he calls back. Originally, he quoted me at $25,150 for a stock SE, which is far lower than I'd expected, and it's right at high end of what I'm willing to pay. Maybe I can score the car with the lighting package for the same price...

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
Lighting package is $995 MSRP, and totally worth it. That adds the lights, automatic lighting switch and LED interior lights. I believe it also adds the corner spot lighting, though any car with fog lights COULD do this if programmed to.

For some damage on my car, I was quoted $1000 per lighting assembly if I needed to replace them.

nectarguru

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf SE
$1k...that's pretty costly for headlight repair, but if the lights themselves last a good 10 years, that's worth it. The auto switch is basically what the name implies, correct?

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
$1k...that's pretty costly for headlight repair, but if the lights themselves last a good 10 years, that's worth it. The auto switch is basically what the name implies, correct?
Yes, I just leave it on auto all the time, and it switches as it needs. The lights are brighter AND swivel, which is really nice for deer prone curvy roads.

$1k per light is a lot out of pocket, but why would you need to pay that? Anything that would necessitate that would probably be covered by insurance. If something wore out, I would think you would just replace the old part, not the whole assembly.

And in WI, you will need the seat warmers, so get at least an SE model, or get a TSI.

nectarguru

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf SE
Yes, I just leave it on auto all the time, and it switches as it needs. The lights are brighter AND swivel, which is really nice for deer prone curvy roads.
$1k per light is a lot out of pocket, but why would you need to pay that? Anything that would necessitate that would probably be covered by insurance. If something wore out, I would think you would just replace the old part, not the whole assembly.
And in WI, you will need the seat warmers, so get at least an SE model, or get a TSI.
The swivel lights are definitely a necessity here in SE Wisconsin. I was already planning on getting the SE because of the moonroof, heated seats, and Fender audio package. Don't need the Nav that the SEL offers. The lights didn't concern me until the dealer called and said this car is the only model on the floor anywhere in the area.

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
The swivel lights are definitely a necessity here in SE Wisconsin. I was already planning on getting the SE because of the moonroof, heated seats, and Fender audio package. Don't need the Nav that the SEL offers. The lights didn't concern me until the dealer called and said this car is the only model on the floor anywhere in the area.
Yeah, they pulled that trick on me. If I waited, I would have had more choices, and probably could've gotten a better deal. I know from watching the listings.

nectarguru

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf SE
You mean they claimed there were no other models in the area? The $25,150 quote they gave me for the base SE is already pretty good. I was thinking of trying for $24k, but that's a bit of a stretch. I might try to nab the xenon model for an even $25k.

Marsupial

TDI
'15 Golf TDI DSG S
Am I that thinks that these super bright headlights are actually not so good? If you have them, you can see great but you are borderline blinding every driver in front of you. I hate to have a car with xenon headlights driving behind me at night. It's very close to having a car with high beams on behind you. I find it very annoying and can see that it could actually be dangerous since it is distracting to drivers in front of you. We are not alone on the roads and share those roads with others.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
the only people's headlights that blind me on the roads are people with crappy aftermarket lights, probably dont even meet DOT compliance.. Usually obvious HID retrofits into stock or cheap china lamps, any nice vehicle with oem bi-xenons are entirely tolerable.. they will have a nice sharp cutoff lower than most people's windows. OEM Xenon lights will calibrate and level them selves out every startup, so there always aimed correctly.

OEM headlights are designed to not blind oncoming drivers for saftey requirements, they actually favor the right side and not the left. The blinding behind you is proabibly a taller vehicle.. use your rear view diffuser or tap your brakes hard a few times to take care of that. You can also tint your windows and/or get tinted side mirrors too to help. Ive got really light sensitive eyes so I understand your concern.

I put a pair of OEM JDM projector headlights on an old mazda, since they were designed for a Right hand drive country they favored the left and not the right, had people flashing there lights at me all the time thinknig I had my high beams on... these werent super bright, but they were not DOT complaint lamps at all.

Last edited:

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
Am I that thinks that these super bright headlights are actually not so good? If you have them, you can see great but you are borderline blinding every driver in front of you. I hate to have a car with xenon headlights driving behind me at night. It's very close to having a car with high beams on behind you. I find it very annoying and can see that it could actually be dangerous since it is distracting to drivers in front of you. We are not alone on the roads and share those roads with others.
I would disagree. They are designed to tilt down as needed, and the upper limit of the beam is much more defined than a halogen. Granted I am just speculating, but I will say that I used to get 'flashed' all the time in my trucks, and have never been in my Golf.

But you do raise a fair point.

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
I will admit 1 downside. Bi-xenon lights don't get hot enough to melt ice from your lights.

Marsupial

TDI
'15 Golf TDI DSG S
I would disagree. They are designed to tilt down as needed, and the upper limit of the beam is much more defined than a halogen. Granted I am just speculating, but I will say that I used to get 'flashed' all the time in my trucks, and have never been in my Golf.
But you do raise a fair point.
I don't think that they actually actively tilt down, do they? What about SUV's, CUVs, and pickup trucks? Headlights on those vehicles are higher than other cars and when equipped with bright headlamps like xenon they are definitely distracting and annoying if not outright blinding. How much light do you really need? Human eyes are able to adjust to low light conditions - mine do at least. Standard Golf headlights are bright enough for me and I never had an issue so far, even on dark country roads. As far as I am concerned that lighting package is money unnecessarily spent but hey, to each their own as always.

SVG

TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI
I purchased an SEL with the lighting package. Very happy with it!

Do yourself a favor and get the LP.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
I don't think that they actually actively tilt down, do they? What about SUV's, CUVs, and pickup trucks? Headlights on those vehicles are higher than other cars and when equipped with bright headlamps like xenon they are definitely distracting and annoying if not outright blinding. How much light do you really need? Human eyes are able to adjust to low light conditions - mine do at least. Standard Golf headlights are bright enough for me and I never had an issue so far, even on dark country roads. As far as I am concerned that lighting package is money unnecessarily spent but hey, to each their own as always.
active (turning/leveling) bi-xenon headlamps will tilt down when you are going up a hill or over a bump.

All vehicles are supposed to have there lamps adjusted to around the same height at a distance, its when a big SUV/Truck pulls right up behind you or tail-gate that its a problem.. usually its like 3.5' high @ 25ft, but under 10ft its right in your rear view.. I miss the auto-darkening rear view mirror that my Audi had, that performed great.

With regular incandescent headlamps you can outdrive your lights even at highway speeds, with my bi-xenons I can see far enough ahead to react @ 80mph.. I ate a dead armadillo in my lowered MK4 doing 80mph because I couldn't see it until it was too late to avoid... Ive maneuvered around obstacles at night with far more success in bi-xenon equipped vehicles.. I think there much safer, but thats my opinion and most people are not like me and drive 600 miles overnight on a regular basis.

Not to mention I am nearly as mesmerized by my headlamps turning around corners as I am by a pair of titties bouncing down the sidewalk, its the bees knees. What else but a nice pair of bouncing headlights can make (most) any guy grin :)

Last edited:

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
I got the LP and I'm very happy with them. Mine were too high from the factory and I got flashed a lot. But it was obvious that the lights were self leveling to the wrong height. The assembly is adjustable and it was quick fix at the dealer.
I have one other car and one previous car with HID's. I turn off the auto on/off feature when parking in my garage to prevent unnessary cycling and premature wear.
HID's are a safety item. If you drive at night on smaller roads, you will not want to live without them once you have had a pair. Much like boobies ^^
The other advantage is reliability. I don't know anyone who has replaced a bulb. I can't say that for the incandescent crowd.

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Phaeton W12, 2015 Golf Highline (gas)
I recently purchased a Highline (more or less equivalent to the American SEL) with the bi-xenon lighting package, and I am VERY pleased with the lights. I think the lights are well worth the extra $1,000. I like the fact that they come on and off automatically, that they have cornering lights, and that they automatically switch back and forth from high beam to low beam when other traffic is detected (not sure if that last feature is available in the USA or not).

I traded in my 2004 Phaeton on the Golf - the Phaeton had some pretty powerful lights, but the xenon lights on the new Golf are every bit as good as the Phaeton lights.

Like TurnOne mentioned directly above, the lights on my Golf were set too high when I picked it up... a quick trip to the dealership for recalibration solved that.

Michael

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I will echo the responses here, get the lighting package.

I currently have one TDI with the LP, Mk6 though. I have had no issues with the bulbs, AFS, or the LED surrounds.

Last edited:

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
I can't say how the non-LP is, but even Consumer Reports recommended the LP.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Have the lighting package and love it. Get it if you do night driving. I was able to convince the wife because I told her it was a safety feature :)

CincyAudi

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The Xenon lights are a game changer! Not only will you thank yourself later, they make the front end of the Golf look 10X better. Without the Xenon's, the Golf already looks dated.

nectarguru

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf SE
I think based on the general consensus here, advice from a trusted car buddy, and pressure from my mother, I'll opt for the LP!

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
I think based on the general consensus here, advice from a trusted car buddy, and pressure from my mother, I'll opt for the LP!
Looks like I'm late to the party. I can't comment on the longevity of the lights, except that similar systems have been in Audis for years, so the technology is reasonably mature. No guarantee of problem-free ownership, but not a bad thing.

And just to pile on...They look so awesome, especially the DRLs. The "single glowing U" Golf DRLs make the "dotted" DRLs on the new Jetta look like a joke.

D15SEL

TDI
'15 Golf TDI SEL 6M, '13 Beetle 'vert 6M
Ditto what all the previous posts recommend, get that SE with the LP.
IMHO, the LP is the best value option on the Golf particularly with all of the angst over the many options VW leaves out for the North American market.
In 8k miles of ownership I've never been flashed one time by on coming traffic. With my '07 GTI (LP was standard, not an option) I seemed to get flashed often during its first two years. Also, I had zero problems with the lighting in 4 years.

As a side note, that GTI was the best car I've ever owned. Friends would get in with 100k plus miles and comment on how solid it was. They refused to believe its age/mileage.
My '15 Golf TDI 6M SEL is an even better car.
Good luck

JBizz

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 vw golf tdi
I wish i got SE over the S... I found a non light spot when im making turns. Can i add the LP to my S in the future? The two different colors on the S headlamps is really ugly.