LIFTING a mk7 TDI Sportwagen thread

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt
I don't think there is a dedicated thread for doing this as most folks seem to be ok with stock ride height or want to lower, but here in Mexico I need/want more ground clearance.
Unfortunately I have already dented the lower part of the car on a particularly nasty speed bump while having passengers aboard...ouch

I've been thinking that Alltrack struts/springs could be substituted in place of Sportwagen ones but its almost impossible to know whether this is possible without having loose parts from both system to compare.

Alltracks have a 20mm higher ride height I believe.

Then today I found this system:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332429910810

Also at www.vwliftkits.com DONT TRY TO CLOSE POP UP AD!

This might be the solution I've been looking for except that we cannot use the rear system due to the torsion beam on TDI's

Questions I have asked the vendor:

1) how much for just the front setup?
Update...Vendor replied $850 for just the fronts, which is very attractive !

2) are the springs common 2" id ones which could be replaced for different rate ones?
Update... Vendor claims dual spring setup, hard to believe...

3) will the geometry of the sway bar stay at stock ride height position?

Any other questions you guys can think of ?

Anyway, I will be investigating this kit and will let the group know what I find...

For reference this is the Alltrack front suspension:

https://parts.vw.com/a/Volkswagen_2...SION-COMPONENTS-FRONT-SUSPENSION/9272417.html

FOR A LAUGH OUT LOUD:

https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Steering-and-Suspension/USP-MK7-BAJA-LIFT.html

This is closer to what I'm looking for!

http://newsroom.vw.com/vehicles/going-up-country-in-the-golf-alltrack-country-concept/

Just found another possible option:

https://www.spaccer.com/en_US/makes-and-models/vw/golf-vii-variant.html

$600 for just front spacers is hard to swallow....

Last edited:

funoutdoors121

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW S 6MT
Increasing ground clearance via tire sidewall height

An option I am planning to use when I replace my next summer or winter tires is to increase my tire sidewall height.
Instead of 225/45R17 for summer tires, I am thinking of getting 225/55R17 tires, and for winter. instead of 205/55R16, going to 205/60R16 or even 205/65R16 as I heard that was feasible.
I am a bit concerned about the low clearance between the tire and wheel well with the 205/65 but would like the extra ground clearance :)
Happy New Year to all!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
225/55/17 hits the front OEM mudflaps under hard braking while turning, but other than that look great and ride amazing.

215/65/16 fit without an issue I run 205/65/16 on biolines (6.5" wheel) and have zero issues, even with 18mm and 25mm spacers fron/rear.

funoutdoors121

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW S 6MT
225/55/17 hits the front OEM mudflaps under hard braking while turning, but other than that look great and ride amazing.
215/65/16 fit without an issue I run 205/65/16 on biolines (6.5" wheel) and have zero issues, even with 18mm and 25mm spacers fron/rear.
Thanks for the info, will most likely go for 225/50/17 to avoid any rubbing, and 205/65/16 for snows.
This should increase ground clearance by almost 1/2 “ for 17” wheels and 1” for 16” wheels.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Since there appears to be a lot of interest in lifting the GSWs, I'll stick this thread.

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S

funoutdoors121

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW S 6MT
Alltrack springs on 15 GSW?

Do I have to replace the shocks with the springs?
I am also interested in an answer to this, as am considering swapping springs on a 2015 GSW with those Alltrack springs (should lift rear by close to 1.5" and front by 1" ?).
Was hoping to keep original shocks as car only has 25K miles.
Assuming the only additional work involved would be a full alignment after spring swap?
Maybe IBW has put those Alltrqack springs on his 15 GSW and if so can comment on install/ride height etc... :)

tleader

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I have these for sale if anyone is interested. They are an easy alternative to replacing the spring and having to go through all that R & R. These can be added without removing the strut from the knuckle and minimal labor. I'm putting my vehicle back to stock so that's why I have these for sale.

Let me know if there's any interest. I'll do $200 shipped.

https://www.rallywagproducts.com/

tdiDerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta MkV Sedan; 2002 Jetta MkIV Sedan; 1999 Jetta MkIV Sedan
So I did the all track springs from idparts.com and 215/60 r16 AT tires. Now for those of us who have done this - anyone else have noted differences?
-- here are some of mine:
-mpg drop from 48-50 to 43-45 (that with the 5% added miles)
-headlights need adjusting up? The rear sits noticeably higher which I am okay with since I plan on towing a trailer.
-I know the speedo is off. Probably the 5% for the tire size. About to head into my last service at 50,000 and ask them to adjust it and check the alignment.

Overall the ride feels just a little stiffer, and I feel higher up while driving which is probably because of the slight pinch forward.

tdiDerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta MkV Sedan; 2002 Jetta MkIV Sedan; 1999 Jetta MkIV Sedan
Was wondering for those of us that have done a lift to the GSW who has had the rear turn out Higher, like a lot more lift than the Front?

And with that any ideas how to level it out?

-Funny thing is the roof is now level on mine with the the front and rear alltrack springs installed, but the under carriage looks 2 inches higher in the rear. Also after several re-fills I am only AVG 40mpg at best.

Joe J.

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Was wondering for those of us that have done a lift to the GSW who has had the rear turn out Higher, like a lot more lift than the Front?

And with that any ideas how to level it out?

-Funny thing is the roof is now level on mine with the the front and rear Alltrack springs installed, but the under carriage looks 2 inches higher in the rear. Also after several re-fills I am only AVG 40mpg at best.
Crazy to have a 2"difference. Especially since the claim is a 1.5" lift for the back.

Wonder if you could try those Rally Wag spacers, but just on the the front. That'd give you another inch.

Thinking the gas mileage drop is probably more to do with the tires than anything. Even accounting for the greater circumfrance and increased distance per rotation. Did you start with 205/55R16 (stock on the S)? Not sure if you're also using a more all-terrain tread, but that could also be effecting the MPG.

Question for you is, has the clearance been worth it? Between the tire's and springs, you should be getting and additional 2" plus, yeah?

stuthere

TDI
2015 sportwagen
I have these for sale if anyone is interested. They are an easy alternative to replacing the spring and having to go through all that R & R. These can be added without removing the strut from the knuckle and minimal labor. I'm putting my vehicle back to stock so that's why I have these for sale.

Let me know if there's any interest. I'll do $200 shipped.

https://www.rallywagproducts.com/
Hello. I was wondering if the spacers worked well for you. We carry weight in back and are looking for more height. Don't expect you to have spacers still. Thanks for any info Stu

TDBCFR

TDI
2015 MK7 Golf SportWagen TDI, TDITune, Alltrack Springs with Bilstine B6 Shocks.
My LIft was:
Alltrack Springs from ID parts
Bilstein B6 Shocks, Be sure to get rear shocks suitable for beam suspension.
You will need 30mm spacers for the front to balance the rear.
Rear suspension will be rougher and top out sometimes due to the rear springs being rated to have an extra 200lbs for the alltrack transmission. In retrospect I would have run stock springs with a 50mm spacer and kept my old load bags.
Front springs work fine.

I am happy with this as I needed to change the shocks any way but spacers with stock springs and load bags is definitely the way to go. Keep it simple. I would have put stock springs with spacers and B6 shocks if I could do it again.

Tires are FALKEN WILDPEAK A/T TRAIL 215/60R17 27"

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YB6BHSJKrP5gS5JR7

Last edited:

Pine_Apples

TDI
2015 Golf SE
Has anyone lifted a 2015 golf se? I just got the car recently and the stock height is just low enough to scrape on the curb, and that's really annoying me. I guess realistically I would only need like a 1/2 - 1 inch lift, but I wouldn't mind if it's higher.

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
I'm also interested in lifting my Golf.
I emailed SOLO WERKS this week and this is there reply:

"We’re currently in the process of coming out with a lift kit for those vehicles and should be ready in November. I believe it will be 1.75 if I recall, I haven’t been dealing with it on the engineering side. But if you want to check back in a month we should be good to go."

I'm going to contact them next month and check on the lift kit.

pebjr

SnowGoose

TDI
2015 GSW TDI S (MT)
Has anyone lifted a 2015 golf se? I just got the car recently and the stock height is just low enough to scrape on the curb, and that's really annoying me. I guess realistically I would only need like a 1/2 - 1 inch lift, but I wouldn't mind if it's higher.
I put a new Alltrack spring set on the fronts and backs of my 2015 Golf Sportwagen S. It made quite a difference. Measured at 2" with no load. The rear tires used to disappear into the wheel well when there was weight on the hitch and I could not get my good floor jack under the car without a lot of finagling. Now it's a breeze. I sold our family beater car after I got my wife a newer vehicle (well, "new for us" - an auction banged-up Kia with 5,000 miles). It made no sense to keep the beater because the only real need for it was to take it down a road to the family camp a couple times per year. My wife's new car doesn't have a spare tire, and our other options weren't great - a regular cab work-truck pickup (too cramped for the 100 mile drive to camp) or an 80's project Toyota wagon that needs too much work to get back on the road right now. So I opted to lift the Golf and give it a try. It did the camp road beautifully. No jagged rock scrapes at all.

Now (with no load)

Before (no load)

Before (with a heavy load):

After (with a heavy load)

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Given what you like to put on that hitch receiver (hefty trailer and cantilevered cargo rack), some airbags in the rear springs will help the noticeable sag you get even with the AllTrack springs in the back. AirLift 80753.

travist185

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon TDI
Anyone who has installed alltrack springs interested in selling their OE rear springs? I just found one was broken on my 2015 GSW. Mine had the code 5qm511121t on the spring. Message me if you have a set. Thanks!

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
I was wondering if anyone has tried this.. Should provide 1.5 inch lift