Lifters

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta 1.9 Diesel GLS , Five Speed Standard Shift
Starting to hear the lifters rattle . Can they be adjusted or is it time to get the head redone. My TDI Jetta is hitting close to 300'000 miles.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Is it a higher pitch tick coming from the top end?
I had one of my lifter/tappet (whatevers you wants to call em) start making noise at 200k. Had them all replaced and went about as normal. No head rebuild or anything. Cam was good so didn't have that changed either.
Had the timing belt done while they were in there too.

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
Is it a higher pitch tick coming from the top end?
I had one of my lifter/tappet (whatevers you wants to call em) start making noise at 200k. Had them all replaced and went about as normal. No head rebuild or anything. Cam was good so didn't have that changed either.
Had the timing belt done while they were in there too.
No, just clattering slightly when accelerating . oops need my timing belt done also . Good idea . I my just send it to a mechanic

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
No, just clattering slightly when accelerating . oops need my timing belt done also . Good idea . I my just send it to a mechanic
You may have something different. Hard to tell without a video. Mine made sound all the time though that doesn't mean it can't be the same.
It was like 950$ so for me at the time with no vcds and not feeling super confident in my skills on my only car it was worth it.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
You should always replace the cam and lifters together on these cars.
Why? If there's no wear to the cam what difference would it make? The cam was in mint condition and the tappet should just mate to the cam lobe. Similar to a piston and cylinder. Though I know thats a bit different
Put on almost another 100k no problem after the change. Sold the car then so who knows now, but it's probably still out there driving.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I would do some testing, I've seen the acceleration clatter when there is too much backpressure caused by an overboosting or restricted turbo, or if the head has been replaced with a Chinese one, they're bad about that as well.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Obviously you’ve never owned a Toyota…nor worked on them…..
There isn’t a car out there that doesn’t need periodic maintenance.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
We've all been there man. Every car needs maintenance some more then others and part of it is what the most common problems with the model is. My alh has been reliable and I'd trust it to go anywhere. On the other hand i have had to do maintenance. Any car can break down on you. My brother has a camry with 70k (at the time) started it up one morning and walked around the front to see oil spitting out the bottom. His oil pump seal went bad so he had to do a timing belt and oil pump. My dads chevy aveo had the shift linkage fall off the tower one day and limped it home in 3rd his car only had like 115k. Both while needing maintenance have been awesome cars for our family but trust me they still have their own problems. A friend just had to have 3k worth of work done on her 2010 rav4 because timing chain started to clatter amongst other things it needed. Things break and need replacing...fact of life. I have seen lots of 2010+ cars broken down on the road even 2 tesla's (I so wanted to ask if they needes a jump start🤣). Everything has its problems. I've been fed up with my car before, but you put some money and elbow grease into it and keep rolling.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Probably not the lifters if it's happening when accelerating. FWIW, my current tank of diesel from a station I don't usually use, is noticeably noisier than what I'm used to hearing. Especially when the car is cold, a lot more clack-itty. Almost time to refuel and I'm hoping the noise is back to normal BUT this tank is also the most # of miles I've ever gotten from a tank. Weird.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Just a word of advice, don’t come to a vehicle-specific forum and talk trash about the vehicles we drive and expect to get much help... I can think of one person in particular who is no longer here because of that.
If you want to drive some noisy tin box that has no soul go ahead, I’ll take the way my car runs drives and handles over a Toyota any day.
I get that these cars aren’t for everyone, (I don’t recommend them to anyone that doesn’t understand German cars and enjoy working on their own vehicles) but like I said, don’t expect to make any friends here with that attitude towards our cars.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Just a word of advice, don’t come to a vehicle-specific forum and talk trash about the vehicles we drive and expect to get much help... I can think of one person in particular who is no longer here because of that.
If you want to drive some noisy tin box that has no soul go ahead, I’ll take the way my car runs drives and handles over a Toyota any day.
I get that these cars aren’t for everyone, (I don’t recommend them to anyone that doesn’t understand German cars and enjoy working on their own vehicles) but like I said, don’t expect to make any friends here with that attitude towards our cars.
I have to say though. The toyotas are pretty nice. My brothers 97 camry is great. Its super quiet on the hwy, gets about 30mpg, and does ebrakendrifts like a dream. I love toyotas amongst others. That being said they are definitely different then our tdi's.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
The older ones yes…..the newer ones……well let’s just say I’ve had some severe issues with them since they’ve been made in the US…..T 100’s , headsgaskets , tundras ,Frame , sienna’s, transmission, sliding door cables , cracking door hinges and sliding door opening mechanism and Camry , severe wheel arc rust with very low milage car that was bought new…that’s my experience…others may be different.

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
We've all been there man. Every car needs maintenance some more then others and part of it is what the most common problems with the model is. My alh has been reliable and I'd trust it to go anywhere. On the other hand i have had to do maintenance. Any car can break down on you. My brother has a camry with 70k (at the time) started it up one morning and walked around the front to see oil spitting out the bottom. His oil pump seal went bad so he had to do a timing belt and oil pump. My dads chevy aveo had the shift linkage fall off the tower one day and limped it home in 3rd his car only had like 115k. Both while needing maintenance have been awesome cars for our family but trust me they still have their own problems. A friend just had to have 3k worth of work done on her 2010 rav4 because timing chain started to clatter amongst other things it needed. Things break and need replacing...fact of life. I have seen lots of 2010+ cars broken down on the road even 2 tesla's (I so wanted to ask if they needes a jump start🤣). Everything has its problems. I've been fed up with my car before, but you put some money and elbow grease into it and keep rolling.
I digress . Love my 2003 Jetta TDI and had many trouble free miles. Im a TDI Lifer. So yes I agree with you on all and really enjoy the Forum

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
The older ones yes…..the newer ones……well let’s just say I’ve had some severe issues with them since they’ve been made in the US…..T 100’s , headsgaskets , tundras ,Frame , sienna’s, transmission, sliding door cables , cracking door hinges and sliding door opening mechanism and Camry , severe wheel arc rust with very low milage car that was bought new…that’s my experience…others may be different.
Just a joke just a joke about the Toyota. Would rather have my Diesel Jetta TDI . It has held up quite well considering its 20 years old ! Im a TDI lifer

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
Probably not the lifters if it's happening when accelerating. FWIW, my current tank of diesel from a station I don't usually use, is noticeably noisier than what I'm used to hearing. Especially when the car is cold, a lot more clack-itty. Almost time to refuel and I'm hoping the noise is back to normal BUT this tank is also the most # of miles I've ever gotten from a tank. Weird.
Hmmh... Supposedly the Bio- Diesel we get at the pump has less lubricating qualities . I usually add Lucas fuel treatment to offset this, but havent lately. Will have to look into that. Thanks

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
Actually the Forum moderator suggested I use more appropriate etiquette cause J Dud went snowflake on me. One of my comments related to that post was deleted . Of course I apologized
Your jokes fell so flat you had to delete them, eh?
No, just didnt want to offend you cupcake.

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
Or the management.

Being new to the forum postulating about other's being a snowflake seems about the recipe for what ails ya.
J Dud started it and it sounds like your interest is to abuse me which I wont allow. A light hearted comment is a change up and should not be misconstrued as offensive . If your a vendor as your profile states this is no way to attract new customers.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
J Dud started it and it sounds like your interest is to abuse me which I wont allow. A light hearted comment is a change up and should not be misconstrued as offensive . If your a vendor as your profile states this is no way to attract new customers.
Calling me "cupcake" is really you being the same kind of person that got you in the mess you are in. Rather than keep digging a hole deeper you are in, why don't you settle down? I have added you to my short of don't-help-for-any-reason list and that is my prerogative. I don't think you being this way is good conduct.

Calling people names is just not good etiquette.

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
Calling me "cupcake" is really you being the same kind of person that got you in the mess you are in. Rather than keep digging a hole deeper you are in, why don't you settle down? I have added you to my short of don't-help-for-any-reason list and that is my prerogative. I don't think you being this way is good conduct.

Calling people names is just not good etiquette.
Then stop your abuse. I simply made some light hearted comments. Then you and J Dud began your assault on me . Im not in a mess or a hole you are the one making negative comments towards me. Im gonna put you on my Doo Doo List so there !!!

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Then stop your abuse. I simply made some light hearted comments. Then you and J Dud began your assault on me . Im not in a mess or a hole you are the one making negative comments towards me. Im gonna put you on my Doo Doo List so there !!!
You are really new to forum to be acting this way. People can overlook some things due to being a neophyte, but your kind of banter is simply negative. I hope you will settle down and be a positive commenter in the future. No one wants this kind of thing here.

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
You are really new to forum to be acting this way. People can overlook some things due to being a neophyte, but your kind of banter is simply negative. I hope you will settle down and be a positive commenter in the future. No one wants this kind of thing here.
Your right I agree lets get back to the nuts and bolts of things and what the forum was intended for. I apologize for calling you a cupcake. Cupcakes not really that bad is it?