Lifter tick and low oil pressure after engine rebuild

Suburban Redneck

TDI
02 golf tdi 5sp ALH
Hi guys, this is my first post here. I have a problem with my 02 golf tdi with the ALH that I have been trying to solve for years to no avail. I am a certified master mechanic and I have read every oil related post in here and nothing describes my problem. Hopefully someone on here has some insight. Here it goes!

2 years ago I had a engine runaway caused by a failed turbo. I was able to stop the runaway before it consumed all of the oil. The engine had 240k on it and it still ran but I decided to do a full rebuild instead of just replacing the turbo. I replaced the rod and main bearings as well as piston rings and cam/lifters with all OEM parts. I bought a low milage head with a couple bent valves, replaced the bent valves and machined it, then installed it with the new cam and lifters. I did not replace the oil pump or oil filter housing.

Ever since the rebuild, I have had one or two noisy lifters. All of the lifters are super noisy upon startup when sitting overnight. (It sounds like the engine has no oil in it for almost 10 seconds) The colder it is outside, the worse the ticking is. After about 10 seconds the lifters quiet down except for one or two lifters that continue to tick for almost 10 MINUTES until the car warms up. The 2 lifters closest to the cam sprocket on the passenger side keep failing and eating the cam. I have replaced the cam and lifters 3 times over the past 2 years and the ticking continues. I have also blown compressed air through all the oil passages in the head with no success. I have also cleaned the oil filter housing thoroughly and blown compressed air through the ports in the block where the housing bolts on.
As for oil pressure, I have about 70psi at cold idle, 15psi warm idle, and 28psi at 2000rpm when warm. I know the spec is 36psi at 2000rpm so something is definitely wrong. Another thing I noticed is the needed on my oil pressure guage vibrates rapidly whenever the lifters are ticking. Once the the engine warms up and the ticking stops the needle levels out and looks normal.
I know there's an oil pressure relief valve in the pump and a anti-drainback valve in the filter housing. I am suspecting the anti drain back valve in the filter housing could cause the startup rattle if the oil is leaking past it back into the sump. Im not sure if either of those valves could be causing the far 2 lifters to keep failing but I'd like to get some input before spending the money on more OEM parts. Thanks in advance.
-Liam

Last edited:

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Have you measured the bore of the lifters that fail? Where they among those for the bent valves?

Where is your gauge plumbed in?

Seems to me the root problem must be related to those valves rather than an overall pressure problem. Except for the startup pressure; might have to things going on.

Suburban Redneck

TDI
02 golf tdi 5sp ALH
Have you measured the bore of the lifters that fail? Where they among those for the bent valves?

Seems to me the root problem must be related to those valves rather than an overall pressure problem. Except for the startup pressure; might have to things going on.
I did not measure the lifter bores because they looked fine by eye. I believe one of the bent valves was on the end where the lifters are ticking. Is there a spec for the lifter bore diameter? And how do you measure it on a alh? The oil pressure guage is on a T-fitting with the stock oil pressure sensor.

Suburban Redneck

TDI
02 golf tdi 5sp ALH

Also the lifters rotate freely in the bores, none of them have any noticeable play side to side either. The timing belt failure wasn't particularly bad and it didn't even crack the lifters and none of the old lifters were stuck. The bores themselves look perfect to the naked eye.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Since you had the oil pan off I suspect you checked the oil filter screen for obstructions and crud... but just checking.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Ok then. I don't know the lube path but if cylinder 1 is at the far end of it those two lifters might be starved if there is an overall low pressure problem and rereading your post indicates a pressure problem.

If Vince's suggestion doesn't pan out maybe your relief valve is stuck open as you suggest. Reminds me of the time my Plymouth six cylinder had a low speed oil pressure problem. Oil light suddenly started coming on after a sprint down an onramp until I got the revs up. Turned out to be a piece of the distributor drive gear holding the relief valve open. No idea how it got in there.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Have been thru this, but I'm no expert on internals.
Sounds like the oil pump is weak (rare) or passages are restricted. Much of the actual pressure is created by the action of the bearings, the pump gets the oil up to the top. There is a little plug on the oil pump with a spring behind it. You can install a stiffer spring or even just shorten the throw on whats in there to increase the amount of force the pump pumps.

Suburban Redneck

TDI
02 golf tdi 5sp ALH
Ok then. I don't know the lube path but if cylinder 1 is at the far end of it those two lifters might be starved if there is an overall low pressure problem and rereading your post indicates a pressure problem.

If Vince's suggestion doesn't pan out maybe your relief valve is stuck open as you suggest. Reminds me of the time my Plymouth six cylinder had a low speed oil pressure problem. Oil light suddenly started coming on after a sprint down an onramp until I got the revs up. Turned out to be a piece of the distributor drive gear holding the relief valve open. No idea how it got in there.
I just pulled the oil pump and main bearing caps. Bearings look good but thats to be expected since I just replaced them a couple years ago. The oil pump however has some noticeable wear inside, lots of scratches. When pulling the pump there was a fair bit of oil draining out of the relief valve. The relief valve in the pump is not supposed to let oil past it when its not under pressure right?

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
How about the o-ring seal between the pickup tube and the pump?
Not on this vehicle but on my old '99 Tacoma I had an issue after a rebuild...when I went to fire it up the oil light came on after a couple minutes. Scratching my head, looking around the garage, kicking myself...I looked over and saw the pickup tube gasket in the package. I had forgot to install it. It was a pain to go back and do all that work over again because it's a pretty big teardown on that truck to get to it (pretty much all front end underneath).

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Haven't been inside one of these since my NA days maybe 35 years ago so Idunno if oil dribbling out indicates anything. Scratches wouldn't hurt your pressure much but wear in the pump bore would and the cover. You have the specs for measuring that?